+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 128 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree1441Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

If he's not eating all day then having a huge meal at night he's probably having huge swings in blood sugar. Would that in itself contribute to Type 2 diabetes?
    momrek06 likes this.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." George Orwell

I dont watch the show but I do read here to hear about Whitney. Her dad does not eat all day??? That is the worse thing anyone can do to their body whether or not you have diabetes. Yikes. And then one big meal in the evening.

First of all I am not a doctor but IMHO its not fair to your body not to feed it. Our bodies need the nutrients we get from food to thrive and be energetic. To ignore feeding your body all day, just is not a healthy lifestyle. It could lead to
    you feeling weak, or moody, or even faint.

Me, I (seriously) eat all day. All small meals but I am eating all day long. When I leave the house I always have a snack in my purse, apple, banana, orange, almonds, granola bar.

p.s. my family is full of nurses and all I heard growing up is "your health is your wealth" and "be kind to your body"!
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    I dont watch the show but I do read here to hear about Whitney. Her dad does not eat all day??? That is the worse thing anyone can do to their body whether or not you have diabetes. Yikes. And then one big meal in the evening.

First of all I am not a doctor but IMHO its not fair to your body not to feed it. Our bodies need the nutrients we get from food to thrive and be energetic. To ignore feeding your body all day, just is not a healthy lifestyle. It could lead to
    you feeling weak, or moody, or even faint.

Me, I (seriously) eat all day. All small meals but I am eating all day long. When I leave the house I always have a snack in my purse, apple, banana, orange, almonds, granola bar.

p.s. my family is full of nurses and all I heard growing up is "your health is your wealth" and "be kind to your body"!
    I haven't watched this week's episode, but isn't it Whitney and not her dad who wasn't eating any meals until dinner?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan

Actually, it's both. She had the realization that her bad habits were learned in part from her dad.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Trust Me!

Ref. Whitney's dad. So far this season, we learn that Whitney's dad is also pre-diabetic with an A1C of 6.2. And he meets with Whitney and her nutritionist and says that he also doesn't eat until dinner. I'm no expert on Type II diabetes. I know my share about Type I, but Type II works a little differently. Here's a link for risk factors to develop Type II. One of them is the ovarian disorder that Whitney has. Plus, she has the extra factors of weight and possibly family history. Depending on how things go with her dad.

Type 2 diabetes Risk factors - Mayo Clinic
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    If he's not eating all day then having a huge meal at night he's probably having huge swings in blood sugar. Would that in itself contribute to Type 2 diabetes?
    Huge spikes in blood sugar tend to come from too much refined carbs, especially if insulin resistance has developed. People's metabolisms differ. The actions of key hormones, like insulin, leptin and ghrelin, differ. I'm a grazer, so I don't get why someone would choose to not eat all day, LOL. But the right breakfast and the right dinner (for that person), could be just fine. On the other hand, frequently gorging on a refined white like pasta in the evening (Whitney's weakness) won't bode well, especially if it isn't balanced with other foods that slow down its absorption.

As far as the Dad showing up with an A1c of 6.2, was this his first clue? If so, just makes me disgusted with the medical community.
    Last edited by Brooks; 09-25-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I share one of their bad eating habits though and that is not eating during the day. I have to really work on that. I don't feel the need to eat during the day. When I'm busy, I don't even think about it. I'm normally not hungry. I have to fight to eat on a schedule. I'm doing better this week.
    Debb, I just went back and was reading different posts. Sweetie, yeah, I am glad to read that you are working on changing your eating habits.

Please eat something during the day. Even if you have to set a reminder on your phone. Some protein and fruit. But try not to wait until evening. OK. xoxo
    KAREN

Oh, I'm working on it. I've done pretty well this week. I've had 3 meals a day every day with some snacks. So, that's good.

REF. TYPE I diabetics. I don't want to make a big deal about it, but my endocrinologist used to tell me that eating little to nothing was fine. And that not eating during the day was fine if I wasn't hungry. I know, it sounds odd, but I'm not the only Type I who has done this. I have a friend who is Type I who had an insulin pump and he was delighted that he didn't have to eat all day, because with the pump, you control the flow and amount of insulin. We also do that with shots. If we don't eat, we don't need nearly the amount of insulin. When you eat, you have to calculate carbs and take extra insulin. Insulin causes weight gain. So,....just saying....but I have decided that eating small meals throughout the day would be a good thing, so that's what I'm working towards.

This is one of my doctors.
    http://www.med.unc.edu/diabetesresea...%20generic.pdf

The idea that diabetics have to eat during the day came about years ago when they took what was called "Regular Insulin." You took it in the morning and the dose was based on the assumption that you would eat so many calories throughout the day. If you didn't consume those carbs, you would crash from low blood sugar. Later, when Fast acting insulin became popular, it changed, since the insulin didn't last that long and you weren't likely to crash. You take a shot before each meal and if you don't eat, you don't have to take it. And the same with insulin pumps. You can put it on low or turn it off if you aren't eating. So, anyway, that's all. I'm not advocating the one meal a day. lol I just wanted to explain how I think some ideas were developed.
    Last edited by Debb70; 09-25-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing, Debb.
    momrek06 and Debb70 like this.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oh, I'm working on it. I've done pretty well this week. I've had 3 meals a day every day with some snacks. So, that's good.
    Great news, Debb!!! xo

AND your MD, I read his bio and it looks like an amazing MD. I bet you are very happy with him.

I see that he had graduate fellowship at JOSLIN in BOSTON (which is affliated with Harvard) ........ JOSLIN is world renown for Diabetes. World.renown.

Diabetes Research, Care, Education & Resources | Joslin Diabetes Center
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread