+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Family" will return to ABC on July 30!

"The Family" will return to ABC on July 30!

"THE FAMILY," HOSTED BY GEORGE HAMILTON, RETURNS TO ABC ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 30, IN ALL ITS DYSFUNCTIONAL GLORY!

When "The Family" debuted in March, over nine million Americans were riveted by the premiere, which the Palm Beach Post described as "'Dynasty' meets 'The Sopranos' meets 'Upstairs, Downstairs.' You can throw in 'Survivor' and 'Big Brother' for good measure, too." Now viewers who are already hooked and newcomers to the series can escape the summer doldrums in style when "The Family" returns to the ABC Television Network. On WEDNESDAY, JULY 30 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) a special two-hour premiere entitled "The Family Recap" will bring viewers up to speed on the competition so far, showing highlights from the first three episodes. The remaining six all-new episodes of "The Family" will air beginning Wednesday, August 6 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET), in its regular time period. George Hamilton hosts the exploits when a feisty, middle-class clan from New York, New Jersey and Boston battle one another for a million-dollar fortune amidst the luxurious life of the super rich. Judging the intense competition is a secret Board of Trustees that is made up of key members of the Household Staff, though the Family doesn't learn this until the final episode.

The family members are sequestered in a breathtaking 20,000-square-foot mansion on a 40-acre estate in Palm Beach that is outfitted with around-the-clock cameras. Their taste for the good life is tempted as they compete in high-society challenges for cruises on luxury yachts, private jets and spectacular prizes - and, ultimately, for control of the one million-dollar fortune.

The ten contestants -- Mom, Dad, their grown son, as well as cousins from both sides of the family -- are surrounded with all the trappings of wealth. Their every whim is indulged around the clock, with a full-service professional staff at their beck and call -- which includes a butler, personal trainer, stylist, kitchen staff, personal secretary, housekeepers, manicurist, tennis pro and countless others -- all used to working with high-end clientele.

The identity of the secret Board of Trustees -- the judges who decide in each episode which contestants continue to compete for the million dollars and which cannot -- remains a guarded secret from the Family members, but viewers will actually get to see their meetings. Any dismissive and disrespectful treatment will be remembered, and could be the deciding factor.

And unlike any reality series before it, "losing" relatives will stay on in the mansion until the game is over, so they must live with the consequences of their actions. This will surely test their family ties to the breaking point. Under this kind of pressure, how long could you live with your extended family?

Someone in this group will be a millionaire by the end of nine episodes. But will their family bonds survive intact? Find out the answer to the question -- Is blood thicker than money? -- when "The Family" returns on ABC.

The series, which is the first internally created project for ABC from Buena Vista Productions, is executive-produced by Arnold Shapiro and Allison Grodner, who helmed "Big Brother" 2 and 3. Mindy Moore ("The View") is co-executive producer. Danny Salles is director. "The Family" is produced by Buena Vista Productions in association with Shapiro / Grodner Productions.

I can't wait! I LOVE DAWN MARIE!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Go Wayner!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by levi_d
    I can't wait! I LOVE DAWN MARIE!
    yayya DWWAAAHHHNNNN MUHHRIEEEEE!!!

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Excellent! I'm glad that they won't be replaying the first three episodes from the beginning; going with a recap will get folks up to speed just fine. Besides, if they want the details they can read the first three recaps.

BTW, I like Dawn Marie only because she makes my job recapping the show a lot easier. The ways she has helped spice up the recaps are numberous.

FORT Fogey
    I saw the first episode of this show, but I missed the other two, because I forgot it was coming on, and I go to sleep early (9pm, which is when it starts in Central Time Zone). I found it pretty entertaining, though, but I wish it would get a normal prime time slot (7-9pmCentral, 8-10Eastern).

FORT Newbie

The FAMILY rocks!

In fact, Daily Variety called THE FAMILY "one of the funniest shows on television." And I agree...but it's also very exciting, heartwarming, real...and one of the best reality shows to hit the airwaves since Survivor.

And that's my completely unbiased opinion…

John Platt
    Supervising Producer, "The Family"

(Check it out!…and let me know what you think...)

:cool:

i like dawn marie too..i hope she wins..i was sad when it went off the air! glad its comming back...hope they get rid of the aunt soon
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

You just KNOW it's good when the supervising producer has good things to say about it!

But really, now that it's on in summer, I'll watch. I didn't before, because it conflicted with something else I was watching.

Glad this is coming back.

Can anyone tell me, did they every show the scene where George Hamilton gets mowed down by a golf cart? Remember they kept showing it in previews, something like "this season on The Family"...GH is on a platform, and a runaway golf cart crashes into him.

I didn't see every episode they showed so I was wondering if they ever got to this before it went on hiatus.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast