+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Vanderbilt MDs (USA docu-drama)

Vanderbilt MDs (USA docu-drama)

I just found this show and LOVE IT! I'm not sure how long it's been airing, but apparently, for awhile. I'm not sure how I missed it. I've seen two episodes, including the first episode that I caught ON DEMAND.

It follows the lives of 7 interns at Vanderbilt Medical Center. They all live in this large house and work at Vanderbilt. It's so real and I don't get the feeling it's full of scripted stuff, since a fair amount involves the real cases of people they treat. It also shows their personal lives.

Here's a link about the show. You can watch full episodes there.

Vanderbilt MDs | Characters & Crew | Vanderbilt MDs | USA Network
    Last edited by Debb70; 11-30-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.

Re: Vanderbilt MDs (USA docu-drama)

I missed this, too, and hope to check it out soon. I know a trauma nurse at Vanderbilt and she was talking about the show when I saw her this past holiday. The show started filming just as she was staring her nursing internship in July 2013 and she was able to opt out of being filmed. Being her first nursing job just out of school, she didn't want to be profiled as the "new naïve nurse". She's actually very skilled, as Vanderbilt only accepts the very best! But, I digress. She said she knew the interns portrayed and felt that there was a fair amount of acting and dramatics for the cameras. But, since I hadn't seen the show, I didn't have any specific questions.

I'm glad you pointed me to this show, Debb! I watched the first four episodes OnDemand and have it DVRed for the rest of the season! I'm really enjoying it! For some reason, I've never gotten into hospital dramas like ER or Chicago Hope, but I love real hospital shows like NY Med with Dr. Oz and this show. Thanks!
    candor, momrek06 and Debb70 like this.

Good. I just watched another episode and hope to catch up soon. IMO, it's worth watching even though you don't have the FF option. It's that good.

To me, the star of the show is the goofy Internal Medicine guy. He's super top notch to me. I just saw the one where he lost a patient in Cardiology. He initially saved the lady's life, but then she relapsed. I predict this guy will be a super star physician. He's so devoted and has a super personality, IMO.

My favorite is William Train, called Train, the Fellow (Resident?) in surgery. He tries to act so dour, but he's a nice guy with a beautiful girlfriend who is a resident in another hospital. Another favorite is Tyson, whose mom is also a doctor and he wants to make her proud of him. The two of them are most interesting in their DR comments chronicling their journey and feelings. It's interesting that the eight of them, living together in a large house, are at different points in their training. Some are in their first year as interns and others in second year or further along, like Train, and the more advanced can understand the fear and uncertainties the first year interns face and reassure them that their confidence will grow with the experience.

Mike is a fun guy who has ADHD and has to work hard to stay focused. He and Tyson are becoming good friends because their personalities are similarly goofy.

Erin, the first year intern with long brunette hair, seems at first quite self-confident but then gets rattled. She has a boyfriend, James, who she is becoming serious about with some misgivings because her life is so hectic with the internship.

Jeremy, with the beard, is serious and, as a second year intern, quite confident but knows when he needs to ask for help from a mentor.

Whitney, the blonde, seems to have come all this way only to wonder if this is really what she wants to do. Funny time to wonder about that.

Louis is the very large Black guy who was raised in the ghetto and seems filled with conflicts. He repeatedly shows such angst that he isn't good enough and doesn't deserve being there. He's not very articulate and butts a few heads, but Whitney is trying to be a friend and seems to understand his inability to express himself.

They are a group of very likable young doctors and it is so interesting to hear from them what this process is like. I would love, Suzeecat to hear your friend's assessment of each of them.

I can relate to the intern who is questioning if she is doing something that is going to make her happy in life. I had the same doubt after my first year of law school. The first year was so challenging for me. I worked so hard. Much harder than in college. I did well with my grades, but I still started to have doubts. I decided to press on and do it, since I knew I had the aptitude, but in retrospect.........I wonder if I made the right decision. Regret is useless, but if I had it do over again....I could see myself in another field, but the grass is always greener.....lol.
    Punkin likes this.

I didn't know about this show either, but I will be sure to check it out.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I'm glad you pointed me to this show, Debb! I watched the first four episodes OnDemand and have it DVRed for the rest of the season! I'm really enjoying it! For some reason, I've never gotten into hospital dramas like ER or Chicago Hope, but I love real hospital shows like NY Med with Dr. Oz and this show. Thanks!
    Me too, Punkin, never watched any of the hospital tv series but love the documentaries.

I watched both of these.
    NY Med is a medical documentary series which premiered on ABC on July 10, 2012. It follows the medical staff and patients of Columbia University Medical Center and Weill Cornell Medical Center (both a part of NewYork–Presbyterian Hospital in New York City) as well as Lutheran Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York. The series is produced by ABC News. A second season of NY Med premiered on June 26, 2014, which also includes University Hospital in Newark, New Jersey and St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital.

Boston Med is an eight-part documentary television series that premiered on ABC in the United States on June 24, 2010. It follows the stories of doctors, nurses, patients and their families at Mass General, Brigham and Women's and Children's. The series was filmed over a four-month period, and edited for a year before airing. It is produced by ABC News with assistance from local ABC affiliate WCVB.

Thanks, Debb, I am absolutely going to watch THIS show you posted about!!! Vanderbilt MD's!!!
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.
    KAREN

So glad you guys posted about this. I LOVED New York Med. I wonder why they're calling it a "docudrama" rather than a documentary or a reality show.
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

I'm not sure if they are calling it a docu drama. I heard the term, I believe from Oprah, and thought it seemed appropriate. lol It is very similar to NY Med and Boston Med, with perhaps a little more of reality show flare.
    momrek06 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast