+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Extreme Parenting (BRAVO)

Extreme Parenting (BRAVO)

This looks like an interesting show.

The Aroma Therapy/Crystal mom---I like pleasant aromas, but aroma therapy does not appear to have done much for this mom's life. I can see that she loves her son. Perhaps a little discipline is in order for the boy.
    You can do it!

FORT Fogey

Re: Extreme Parenting (BRAVO)

The way that mom was spraying the "calming essence" at her daughter instead of actually taking into account her feelings reminded me of the way people use bug spray to get rid of an irritating insect. She so obviously favors the son, and he so clearly knows it, that I really felt for her little girl. Talk about setting up a seriously nasty sibling rivalry.

As for the two guys who couldn't bear to be parted from their daughter...the very definition of helicopter parents. Loved the grandma, though. Particularly loved the montage of shots with the dads fretting about every minute she was spending with Nana on that overnight visit while the child was having the time of her life with Grandma, messily painting her own nails and playing tigers together in their matching jammies. Couldn't believe how freaked out her son was about Nana having bought those jammies. Yes, they were silly and certainly not designer wear, but what's the harm? They were jammies, so no one was going to see them, and undoubtedly they were going to be left at Nanas, for their next sleepover, so what's the problem? The little girl was considerably more excited about them than about all the designer duds her dads kept asking her to choose from every morning. It was pretty clear she didn't care what she wore, yet they expected her to be all caught up in wearing Marc Jacobs, when she was probably all of three or four. I hope they did allow her to have one overnight a month with Nana--it's the only way she's going to get any freedom at all to just be a kid. I particularly liked how her grandma involved her in the telling of the bedtime story---and she was right that tic tac toe does involve learning skills (basic logic) even if it doesn't involve learning letters or numbers. That kind of bedtime story does too, as it allows the child to help make up the story and show her creativity.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar

WOW.. I have so much to say about this show, but I don't have the time to dedicate to typing it all out today. lol I will most CERTAINLY be watching all of these episodes, because, really...WOW people.
    One thing I have to say though, I think it's SAD that these parents are all agreeing to be on a national television show to showcase the CHILDRENS' lives. Of course it's titled extreme PARENTING, but I DO NOT AGREE that these kids have no idea how they're going to be portrayed.
    After watching both episodes, I 'bout came to tears with how they are being filmed in such absolutely vulnerable stages of their lives.

Disturbing & uncomfortable.. I can't turn away.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Flummoxed Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Wonderputt Champion Fo'Realz?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I think it's SAD that these parents are all agreeing to be on a national television show to showcase the CHILDRENS' lives.
    For all of the reasons that you mentioned, Maveno, and even more, but especially ^ that one -
    I can't watch this exploitative mess ...
    ... I . just . can't .
    Moontat and Imperfect1 like this.
    Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar

I know.. {sigh} I'm an as#hole for watching. Sometimes I hate myself for being a reality junky.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Flummoxed Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Wonderputt Champion Fo'Realz?'s Avatar

*lol* Aw, Mav, don't beat yourself up, the advantage that I have is that I never looked at it the first time, or I'm sure I would have been sucked in, too.

By the way, my cat avatar always thinks he sees YOUR cat avatar licking his chops whenever their eyes meet ...
    Punkin and Maveno like this.
    Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    I think it's SAD that these parents are all agreeing to be on a national television show to showcase the CHILDRENS' lives. Of course it's titled extreme PARENTING, but I DO NOT AGREE that these kids have no idea how they're going to be portrayed.
    After watching both episodes, I 'bout came to tears with how they are being filmed in such absolutely vulnerable stages of their lives.
    Disturbing & uncomfortable.. I can't turn away.
    I totally agree with what you said in your post, Maveno, except that, like Fo'Realz, I just can't watch this show. And by the way, it ISN'T just THIS SHOW -- it's ALL of the NANNY, PARENTING shows. I can see that in some way, placing attention on poor parenting skills and/or out of control kids is not a bad idea IN THEORY --- it's just that it's painful to watch and I think it's so sad for the kids.

I have the same reaction to shows about mistreated ANIMALS, whether they're mistreated by humans or by other animals. It's so excruciating to watch these animals get hurt --- and they don't understand why or what's happening to them. God! It's so sad! I just hope some of these shows are doing SOME GOOD in some way.
    Maveno and Fo'Realz? like this.

Caught this over the weekend, ugh, felt so bad for the daughter of the aromatherapy Mom
    Maveno likes this.

And for anybody that didn't know, the helicopter gay Dads are the "guncles", Tori Spelling's friends.

LOL Maveno and Fo'Realz?, I love both your avis!

I recently took an online survey on upcoming TV shows and indicated I would have no interest in watching this one. When questioned why, I responded that it sounded like just another kiddie exploitation show. It's nice to see by the posts here that I was right. Hard for me to understand parents who would put their young children through such an unnatural experience.
    Maveno and Fo'Realz? like this.
    Tell me again about the day you brought me home and I was all cold and hungry and you became my forever human... It's my favorite kitty bedtime story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast