+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 110 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Like Tree1721Likes

Thread: Married At First Sight

Re: Married At First Sight

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    US has had 4 seasons, 12 couples and 3 appear to still be together Australia has had 3 seasons 13 couples and only 1 is still together and from what I can gather 2 seasons of the UK version 10 couples and 3 still together

Like Critical I would like to see how many people meet using Tinder over a 3mth period and are still together 6mths later to see what is a better match maker (if you google met on tinder and got married you get a tonne of hits so it must happen a lot ) my guess is Tinder

Season 4 AUS is just finishing and so far it looks like out of 11 couples (crazy number of couples this season) 4 will stay together but that doesn't meant they will still be that way in 3 mths time so not counting this season plus it was just full of really horrible people who I am sure were chosen just for the drama and not because they wanted to get married
    While I do think more couples are together using Tinder, the big difference is those couples get a chance to know each other before making any real commitment. MAFS, the couples are literally thrown together to build a life....living together, celebrating holidays, figuring out finances. Those are things that typically take time so I certainly understand most of the couples not making it.

Having said that, I also think the "experts" really don't know what would make for real compatibility. I also think that potential participants might not be as honest on the questionnaire as someone would be on eHarmony, Match, or whatever other sites are out there. If you are too specific, there is a greater likelihood that you wouldn't be picked for the show. Online questionnaires would allow someone to be brutally honest in what they hope to find (i.e.-how important are looks, etc) to help narrow down a match. I just think there really should be a better screening process.

Quote Originally Posted by rozzie17 View Post
    Having watched every episode of every season, I have come to the conclusion that the experts who do the matching cannot account for physical attraction. You can get close but its hard to get that right. People cannot be turned off by the littlest thing in a potential mate.

Look at Jamie & Doug - she could not stand his looks however after getting to know him she saw him in a different light. They are both lucky she gave the relationship time to develop.

The other two successful couples had a physical attraction from the start.

There have been others who never got over the initial impression: Heather from last season, Ashley from season 3 for two. Sam from season 3 go past the initial looks issue like Jamie but it still didn't work probably because she was so unpleasant to him.

jmho
    It seems that the couples from the first season were genuinely trying to make a real go of the process and that's why Jaime hung in there. Gradually, over time, her mental connection allowed her to see him differently on the physical attraction level. I can attest to that. It's no different than being extremely physically attracted to someone, but once you see aspects of them that you don't like, they no longer seem that attractive to you.

As far as Sam and Neil, if she could've just gotten over the initial disappointment, she might not have been such a jerk to him. It was because of her early reactions and lashings that made him decide he just didn't want to go through. Words can hurt and she didn't think about it because she didn't expect to want to remain married to him. Once she realized that maybe he was the right one for her, the damage had already been done. You can't take back your words. And he couldn't get over the hurt.

In October, my son is marrying a woman he met from Tinder. They are a perfect match but they both went through lots of bad dates to find 'the one'. In fact, my future daughter in law was ready to give up online dating when the magic happened.

My daughter and son-in-law met on 'OK Cupid' three months after she re-entered the dating world. They now have a baby girl.

Would either of these couples had success had they gotten married at first sight? I would like to think so but perhaps there is a whole lot more pressure on a relationship when forever (and cameras!) are in the mix.
    Punkin likes this.
    Roz

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes for the new season. It appears that a couple of the matches might have a decent chance. As always, I hope they work out. The previews for later in the season show the usual drama & disagreements, hopefully they are just speedbumps and not serious issues like we have seen in previous seasons!

Anthony's dream about the letter "A" was pretty cool. Obviously the being late thing is going to be an issue, or they wouldn't have mentioned it so much . . . .

I am a little nervous about Nate & Sheila. He sounded a little controlling when he was talking about marriage prior to the wedding. I just think he'll be demanding (my way or else) and I'm not sure "compromise" is part of his vocabulary. I did think that Sheila's gift to Nate was pretty neat - his gift was a little odd to me. Like he's setting her up on this pedestal and if she doesn't fit his dream image, he's going to be disappointed (and mad.)

Looking forward to more episodes

I was puzzled that the made such a big deal about the age difference between Cody and Danielle, but I don't think they said anything about the bigger age difference (5 years vs. 4) between Nate and Sheila. Sheila definitely seemed taken aback at his age. I can't believe they'd match someone whose younger sibling would be living with them and nothing has been said about it. Did I miss it, or did they say why Nate's brother is living with him and not their parents?

Speaking of parents....Nate and Sheila's father's both acted like asses, but especially Nate's father. If the relationship doesn't work, the parents can share some of the blame. Nate's mother is fairly awful too. I have no tolerance for people who, in a situation like that, make it all about themselves. Maybe this isn't what she imagined for her son, but he's an adult who made a decision, so her job is to suck it up and support him.

I have to shake my head at how the family members through the bride and groom under the bus. What was with Ashley's sister blabbing about Ashley being a stickler for being on time? She didn't just mention it: she kept hammering him about it. Why not just let them just learn about each other?

Based on the editing, all three marriages will end in screaming and tears
    mika06 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ok so I finally got watch tonight since I couldn't watch live yesterday due to something last minute. Can I say I really think they did a great job on the matches this season they all see to have compatibility and attraction (a departure from the last few seasons where it was one or the other or neither). I feel like the only issues will be personalities, goals and family which the experts can't really control if the matches don't mention or know what they want.

Danielle and Cody
    Really like them was kind of sad his brother didn't get matched but I think they really hit them out the park. Will fitness are at the core of each of their jobs hopeful it doesn't over run one of their personalities. Danielle seems laid back which maybe hard if Cody falls in love faster then she does.

Sheila and Nate
    I like them I don't think the age difference should be an issue Nate seems like he had a good head on his shoulder (taking care of his family, moving from a basketball career to regular employment etc) I agree with Critical I was not happy with his mother she was acting like he was 15 instead of 25 and using religion as an excuse I know tons of people who grow up together in church, get married and have horrible relationships. Why people like to pick and choose what is part of God's plan I will never understand. I won't comment on the dads because I have no room to just my husband and my father in law are koo koo for cocoa puffs themselves and so I sympathize and wish them luck. Hopefully their families don't tear them apart. Nate is infatuated with Sheila right now so hopefully he gets his mind right once the sexual tension dies down.

My favorite couple is:
    Ashley and Anthony
    I think they could be each others ying and yang. With a strong family support they could really work in the long term with babies to follow. The only issue I can see is if they each don't appreciate each other's difference. You can't expect someone to be perfect or to think along the same lines as you. This is where the work in a marriage take place if you can set aside the things that can annoy you about someone. it can work in the long run.

Of course the season starts out great and then the terror comes but I will watch as always the best part was we got weddings tonight and didn't have to wait till next week!
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by calicokat View Post
    I enjoyed the first couple of episodes for the new season. It appears that a couple of the matches might have a decent chance. As always, I hope they work out. The previews for later in the season show the usual drama & disagreements, hopefully they are just speedbumps and not serious issues like we have seen in previous seasons!

Anthony's dream about the letter "A" was pretty cool. Obviously the being late thing is going to be an issue, or they wouldn't have mentioned it so much . . . .

I am a little nervous about Nate & Sheila. He sounded a little controlling when he was talking about marriage prior to the wedding. I just think he'll be demanding (my way or else) and I'm not sure "compromise" is part of his vocabulary. I did think that Sheila's gift to Nate was pretty neat - his gift was a little odd to me. Like he's setting her up on this pedestal and if she doesn't fit his dream image, he's going to be disappointed (and mad.)

Looking forward to more episodes
    It was supposed to symbolize that she was his Queen.

I thought it was interesting that they seemed to show much more of the process behind the experts making their matches. Dr. Pepper, in particular, said that the prospective partners can't expose hidden traits at the last minute; otherwise, it will sabotage the matchmaker' efforts. (Derrek, anyone?)
    ryansmommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by provenceguy View Post
    I thought it was interesting that they seemed to show much more of the process behind the experts making their matches. Dr. Pepper, in particular, said that the prospective partners can't expose hidden traits at the last minute; otherwise, it will sabotage the matchmaker' efforts. (Derrek, anyone?)
    I agree process seems much better and they have changed the way they vet peoples wants on the show.

That says if anyone did that it was Ryan season 2. Derek and Heather were thrown together last minute due to acouple dropping out. Heather told thw experts she was ok with someone who smoked and then changed her mind. Ultimately they were not a stong match which is why they were not initially chosen.

I totally understand where Heather is coming from, in that would never be ok about someone who embraces a 420 lifestyle and it doesn't take much googling to learn he wasn't a casual smoker. The man raps about it and it's who his circle of friends are about. To top it off, he was mean about it when Heather let him know it bothered her.

I get the season was about "deal breakers", but the thought of pairing Derek with someone not so inclined is, IMO, anything but reasonable and there is no way that production wasn't aware of the extent of his "habit". Also, if it was so okay to pair Derek with Heather, then why wasn't it okay to be open about it instead of letting Heather take so much heat on social media because they effectively lied about it by withholding the entire story from the viewing audience?

And, with Ryan, didn't it eventually leak out that his issue also involved some sort of substance abuse?

+ Reply to Thread