+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Married At First Sight

Re: Married At First Sight

Good Lord, is there ANY hope for Vaughn and Monet? Yes, marriage is work, but should it be THIS much work this early on?

I actually did find myself siding with Vaughn when Monet decided to have all her girlfriends come over on his first night back. Why couldn't she have done that while he was gone? As someone said, they're really set in their ways as single people and don't seem able to think about each other.
    Kip, sugargoose, Dukie and 2 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Good Lord, is there ANY hope for Vaughn and Monet? Yes, marriage is work, but should it be THIS much work this early on?

I actually did find myself siding with Vaughn when Monet decided to have all her girlfriends come over on his first night back. Why couldn't she have done that while he was gone? As someone said, they're really set in their ways as single people and don't seem able to think about each other.
    I wouldn't do that to my husband and we've been married 44 years. Heck, if this was just a casual get-together that could have been done anytime, I probably wouldn't have even done it to a roommate. Usually when people have been away and come back home, they just want to chill.

Knowing how he felt about going out with her friends, I can't imagine Monet would think Vaughan would be happy about this. I wonder if she didn't want to be alone with Vaughan when he came home.
    Dukie likes this.

After reading this thread, I was intrigued. I recorded all the available shows. We enjoyed it so much, we had a marathon viewing yesterday evening! It's quite fascinating. I'm really rooting for Jamie/Doug and Courtney/Jason. I really don't see much help for Monet/Vaughn.

2nd season, we're in!!

I just did a marathon catch up session, and it is an interesting show for sure! I think Jamie and Doug can have something pretty good if she can ever let herself really open up to him. He's very patient!

From people's comments here, I had the impression that Vaughn was a total jerk. He is difficult, but I think Monet is just as much to blame as he is for the way their relationship is going. She may be bubbly and outgoing, but she doesn't seem emotionally available or really open to intimacy on a personal level. In some ways, he seems more open to that, even if he's not particularly elegant in how he goes about it. We see so little of what's actually going on with this people that it's hard to know for sure.

I think Courtney and James are very sweet. I hope at some point they can talk enough about what they want in life to find out if they are on the same page/ I'm guessing that they experts wouldn't have put them together if they weren't, but it's still helpful to have those conversations with each other.

I can't believe there are only eight shows. We're already six shows in, and they've only been together for two weeks. How are we going to skip through the next three weeks of their relationship in two shows and have any kind of realistic idea of how they got to the deciding point. That seems like it's going to go way too fast.
    mom2, Kip, Dukie and 1 others like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

For people who are afraid to take emotional risks, this situation is a real catch-22. If they worry about getting hurt if things don't work out at the end of the five weeks and don't let themselves open up as if they were planning on this being forever, they could well lose a relationship that might have gone the distance.
    Kip likes this.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I wonder if she didn't want to be alone with Vaughan when he came home.
    She was probably afraid he brought home another woman for a threesome! lol

Seriously, if any guy had ever said that to me and then had not completely convinced me he was joking, I would have been through with him right then.

As far as those who are afraid to take the emotional risks......I really thought they would have screen those people out. It doesn't make sense to put someone who isn't really ready to share into a situation like this.
    Dukie likes this.

I can’t help myself…every time this show is on (1st run or re-run) I have to watch it! I find the three couples so fascinating. I think the housing choice says A LOT about each couple:

Doug & Jamie: While the ‘easiest’ thing would have been for Doug to move into Jamie’s apartment, I applaud them for finding a place together and making it theirs.

Courtney & Jason: They both knew they needed a new place due to their current living arrangements. I loved seeing this couple compromise on location. Courtney loved her location and Jason’s job and mom required him to be near his location. So they worked together to find a place that worked for the two of them. Great teamwork!

Monet & Vaughan: Oh where to start with these two. I’m probably in the minority but I think Monet is more to blame for this fail than Vaughan is…Yes, he has had more than a few ‘bone-head’ comments that make me question if he’s really ready to be married, but for the most part I see him as being the one giving in and letting Monet have what she wants. He moved into her place with only his clothes and later his bed – but even Dr. Pepper noticed the place didn't look any different when she went for a visit. I think he doesn't feel as though Monet’s place is home…who can blame him. He has a closet for his clothes and now his bed, but other than that it’s ALL HERS! Monet expects Vaughan to fall right into her world and just do what she wants. Other than making the weekend trip to Vaughan, has she even attempted to be part of his world? To me she just seems really stuck-in-her-ways and not wanting to compromise, but instead expects Vaughan to just completely change his life to match hers…that’s not marriage, that’s not even a good dating relationship. I could go on for a lot longer, but this is already a book.

In the end I think D&J and C&J did the right thing by finding a new place to start their new lives and think if M&V and done the same thing they might not be having as many arguments. I wish all three couples the best, but I fear M&V were doomed from just about the beginning.
    Kip, Imperfect1 and Breckbunny like this.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. - Aristotle

The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Monet and Vaughn have made a couple of big mistakes.

The first was getting sexually intimate before they even knew each other. I think that has somehow created an expectation that they ought to be able to jump to being emotionally intimate as well, and they haven't had enough time (or had enough of the right kinds of communication) for that to happen.

The second was having him move into her apartment. I agree that she's hardly made any space for him, both literally and figuratively.

I get that he's said some really dumb things, but she is all over the place. She says she's "trying to make it work," though we never see her actually attempting the things she tells Dr. Pepper that she'll try. For the most part, she seems pretty intent on pushing him away. I mean who tells a man who is looking for traditional roles that he isn't established enough to be a husband (or whatever she said). Why didn't she just cut his testicles off and get it over with? That he's even trying after that craziness says a lot for him.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 08-20-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Kip, sugargoose, Dukie and 1 others like this.

Did anyone watch this week? Oh boy. I think that Vaughn and Doug would make a nice couple...snark, snark really just snark. I will say why I even said that, it is that Doug just wants to give, and give and comply and kiss you know what, which is exactly what Vaughn wants. Oh and Doug can cook!
    sugargoose and Dukie like this.

Oy! Doug and Jamie! I thought they had a chance, but now I'm not so sure. He's trying so hard to please her and win her over, but he's clearly not being authentic with her. There's a real problem if he wants to stay on her good side so much that he's going to lie like some little kid who is trying to stay out of trouble. But she's so guarded and hard to please.... I get her strong reaction to the lying, though. That's a bit of a deal breaker for me. I was kind of surprised that the therapist wanted her to kind of gloss over it.

I'm not too hopeful that things will work for them. She's a tough nut to crack, and he's overly eager to please, and I'm not sure it's a good combo.
    Kip and jaytwo like this.

+ Reply to Thread