+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

I apologize if a thread exists. I ran several searches and did not find anything.

This little show surprises me. After a couple of seasons where I'd watch from time to time, I find myself really appreciating this show, except the kicker is that I am also somewhat irritated by it. I'll explain that. Later. But first a word about the host.

Jackson Galaxy is one of the freakiest human beings I've seen, but he has a heart of gold. He really loves kitties, and you can tell! I think some people probably watch just because of him. But sometimes I gotta wonder about the guy: do you love cats so much you are basically willing to enter a room all alone where a cat that is hellish by the owners own admission might attack you? Then he gets to know the cat, and usually he gets scratched an/or bitten. He acts like it hurts, but it makes me wonder why he puts his hand in there, under the bed, where the cat crouches, hissing.

Most of the things he teaches the owners are basic common sense. Not rocket science at all, but some are fun to watch. The problem for me is the ones where the owners are extremely wimpy and claim to be so afraid of the cat that they won't even approach it, or they act afraid and even we at home can smell the fear on them. I'm not that scared of any cat, and I'm not brave. But hey, I gotta admit, if a cat which lived in my house attacked me the way some of these folks have been attacked, that cat and I are gonna have a little heart to heart, and I won't be the one that gets hit. Sorry cat lovers, I love animals too, but I am not above smacking a cat that thinks its ok to tear me a new one. Not at all. If it comes down to self defense, I might even kick the cat. I'm not ashamed of that for some reason because I don't see it happening to me. I never lay a hand on my dog in anger that way, but I won't be attacked.

So the question is, why do these people put up with this? Or is it scripted? Because this is the thing that irritates me about a show I wish I could fully enjoy...why all these cats seem to be getting away with the terrorizing of America.

Re: My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

I like the show too. It makes me realize my cat isn't as jerky as we make him out to be! He does get clawed and bit alot though.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I don't think you can 'script' these nutty cats! The cats on this show are little terrors! I've never had one like them, thank heavens! I think Jackson Galaxy is a cat genius! I learn so much about cats and cat behavior from him, and I have had cats all my long life!! It is one show we never miss.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I apologize if a thread exists. I ran several searches and did not find anything.

This little show surprises me. After a couple of seasons where I'd watch from time to time, I find myself really appreciating this show, except the kicker is that I am also somewhat irritated by it. I'll explain that. Later. But first a word about the host.

Jackson Galaxy is one of the freakiest human beings I've seen, but he has a heart of gold. He really loves kitties, and you can tell! I think some people probably watch just because of him. But sometimes I gotta wonder about the guy: do you love cats so much you are basically willing to enter a room all alone where a cat that is hellish by the owners own admission might attack you? Then he gets to know the cat, and usually he gets scratched an/or bitten. He acts like it hurts, but it makes me wonder why he puts his hand in there, under the bed, where the cat crouches, hissing.

Most of the things he teaches the owners are basic common sense. Not rocket science at all, but some are fun to watch. The problem for me is the ones where the owners are extremely wimpy and claim to be so afraid of the cat that they won't even approach it, or they act afraid and even we at home can smell the fear on them. I'm not that scared of any cat, and I'm not brave. But hey, I gotta admit, if a cat which lived in my house attacked me the way some of these folks have been attacked, that cat and I are gonna have a little heart to heart, and I won't be the one that gets hit. Sorry cat lovers, I love animals too, but I am not above smacking a cat that thinks its ok to tear me a new one. Not at all. If it comes down to self defense, I might even kick the cat. I'm not ashamed of that for some reason because I don't see it happening to me. I never lay a hand on my dog in anger that way, but I won't be attacked.

So the question is, why do these people put up with this? Or is it scripted? Because this is the thing that irritates me about a show I wish I could fully enjoy...why all these cats seem to be getting away with the terrorizing of America.
    I love Jackson. I don't think some facial hair and piercings make someone freaky looking. I guess I just see past those things to see what kind of person he is. I don't even notice it really.

I think the solutions he gives seem like common sense and easy when you're watching the show, but they're probably NOT that way when you're living it, especially if you don't have much experience with cats.....or, rather, cats who behave like some of these cats do. I've had many cats over the years and not one of them would even remotely qualify for this show. I don't know how I'd handle it if I did have one that was such a problem.

It makes me sad that you would swat or kick a cat. I fail to see how physical violence against a cat would improve any situation. I suspect people put up with the behavior because they don't know what to do and they love the animal. The cats aren't "getting away" with behaving that way; the reason for the behavior is often directly related to the owner.
    Punkin and pikachu like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

If the reaction is to hit the cat because the behavior is unacceptable, then the person hasn't learned anything from Jackson.

He has a wonderful autobiography, Cat Daddy. It explains why he is the way he is. And why it's so important to him to help people with their cats.

He's mentioning more that he uses flower essences. He has always used them a lot but doesn't always mention that he does.

The show isn't scripted but it's definitely formulaic.

I'm glad there's finally a thread for this show. It's one of my favorites.
    Punkin likes this.

Sorry, lilimax, but I didn't fully read your post before as I've been distracted today and just posted because I was happy to see a thread for this favorite show. Jackson is very much an individual and also a musician and his look may seem odd to you, but in no way do I see him as freakish. His apparent humanity, love of felines and willingness to work with overwrought families who love their cats enough not to turn them in to a shelter to be euthanized because they don't understand the cat's behavior, overrides his different look for me. Besides, he'd fit right in in my town.

I hope to God you don't have a cat, or a dog, or a kid, that you think you can control by beating or kicking it. I really don't think you are "getting" this show. But I'm glad you made a thread where those of us who LOVE Jackson, tats and all, and the work he does to bring peace and harmony to these families with a little instinct, a lot of knowledge and love enough to take a few scratches to get to know the cats he saves. These cats "terrorize' because they are "terrified" and he finds the keys to settle, calm and cure them. I admire him and his intelligent, non-violent approach to kitty behavior therapy tremendously. I could never, ever kick any animal.
    Last edited by Punkin; 05-24-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    Brooks and Critical like this.

I watch this show all the time at my mom's house. I've always had cats in my life. I like them to keep the occasional mouse under control in my house. And I usually have a cat who is feral around (in the house not outside) to address that situation. Though I also have those friendly cats too. Mom has a really old feral cat too now.

I kind of take the approach with my cats that not all of them want to be meddled with. When they want to be they come find me (or the dog). So Sometimes I watch the cats on this show and wonder why they feel this absolute need to have cats that like to meddled with by humans. And then why people insist on getting a few pets in some of these impossibly small apartments they're trying to fit everyone in and then expecting peace.

I don't know I see a lot of common sense solutions too but I also see a lot of pet owners that want want all these love and fun from their pets and for some pets that's just not their strong suit.
    Miss_Griss and lilymax like this.

Good Lord! If I'd thought I was going to get dragged through the dirt for what I'd said, I would have made sure I said it in a way that couldn't be misunderstood. I have seen/known/hung around with many people in my life who were probably what some would call freaky looking. All I really meant was he is very different from what people consider to be average joe- in appearance. Christ. I didn't say he WAS a freak. I said "looking" and perhaps I should have said "alternative" instead of freaky.

I don't think what he teaches is rocket science, but yes I think people do learn from him. He's very kind and soft-hearted.

Now for the cat-kicking comment. I probably over-stated that. I don't know because I didn't go back and read the whole thing. What I meant was if a cat attacked me in a vicious way, and was biting/scratching (hurting) me, I would kick or hit it if I had to to get it off me. Or push it away maybe. I also said I didn't see this ever happening to me, because at the first sign of the crazies I would probably have to say bye-bye to kitty and find kitty a nice home where they have the time to work on kitty's issues. My dog comes first with me. I don't think I would have the time to work on the kitty issues, and I don't like litter boxes in my house anyway. I certainly wouldn't "catify" my house the way Jackson tells people to do. I think it's nice if your cat is your baby. That's not my situation.

I have had the pleasure of being a mom to many dogs, cats, and a child in my life, and I have never hit or tried to control any of my babies by using violence. I have a 17-year old daughter, she could probably take me anyway, and a kid her age isn't going to respond well to anybody trying to control them especially with force. Wish her dad believed in the notion of teaching kids without controlling them. I don't like being controlled and I don't want to control anybody or any animal.

Just felt the need to reassure everybody who might be reading that I'm not an animal-beater and am indeed an animal lover. I like dogs better than people, I think. Jackson is very cool and I love watching him, but I do have a hard time understanding why some of these cats are in the homes they are in. I guess I'll leave it at that.
    holly71, Punkin, mom2 and 1 others like this.

I have a real hard time understanding why some of these cats are in the homes they're in too if it makes you feel better. I get people want to rescue things but you know different animals fit different places. There are some cats who are really best suited to be barn cats. My feral cat is best suited to be left alone to hunt and socialize as she desires. My big lover cat is best suited for someone who wants a cat on them all the time (thank goodness the dog deals well with that).

But I'm firm believer that not every cat (or dog for that matter) fits into every home that may want to take them. And sometimes I think rescue groups don't always think about that. I know when I got my feral cat I needed a specific personality to put up with the dog and do the mousing. I wanted a singular cat. Instead that day the shelter tried to send me home with 4 (I'm not kidding) aged cats when they knew I already had 2 pets at home and none of those cats would have fit into my life but how many people would be like, "Oh but I feel so bad for them..."

I see a lot of mismatching on this show. People who want to cuddle getting cats that need substantial alone time. People rescuing cats and trying to fit them all into tiny living spaces. People combining cat families in tiny living spaces. I don't know. I also think people get into these pets, especially the broken pets really nto knowing what they're getting into.

I don't know. I think he provides a needed service and a dose of common sense that not everyone has. And it's good it's on TV because it's probably preventing people from dumping cats back at the shelter when it starts to not work out. And I just think it's funny because you wouldn't expect a big punk rocker looking guy to be all about the cat too but I'm sure people don't look at me as a cat person either.
    lilymax likes this.

I don't think I would have the time to work on the kitty issues, and I don't like litter boxes in my house anyway. I certainly wouldn't "catify" my house the way Jackson tells people to do. I think it's nice if your cat is your baby. That's not my situation.
    What Jackson wants is that cats be allowed to be cats. That isn't treating them like a baby. It's honoring their catness. One aspect of that is cats are both prey and predator and that can shape their reaction to what's going on around them. So the "catifying" may not be at all optional if you want an emotionally healthy cat. A lot of these cats would have been just fine if they hadn't been ask to get along with another cat. Cats are extremely territorial. They can be extremely worried about resources. They're not pack animals like dogs. Ferals tend to get along well with other cats, but domesticated cats are much less likely to want roommates. So much of the "work" you see on the show is human-created problems. Jackson does ask that we spend time playing with our cats, especially before mealtimes, so they have a routine of "killing" their food before they settle down to eat. Otherwise there isn't much time involved. I have two fabulous kitties. Brother and sister who adore each other. And they're extraordinarily healthy too. They aren't work. They don't need to get away from each other, so for them catifying has been establishing tunnels throughout some of the rooms because life is so much more fun if you can incorporate a tunnel or two. At least for them.

I'm sorry about all the animals in the shelters, but I know I would be doing my cats a great disservice (and probably causing them to get sick) if I brought home any more animals.

Jackson is starting to get more into some of the health issues. I hope he expands in that direction because most vets don't seem to have any idea about the basics of cat care.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast