+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

Re: My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

That brings back memories, Punkin...paper mill in coastal Georgia, sugar beet plant in northern CA...and you're right, it's kinda ghastly when you realize you don't notice it, hardly!
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I'm curious as to what else you disagree with, but hey that's ok. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

About the smells, I do have to agree with another poster who mentioned that it could be a case of what you're used to. I, for example, have never patted a dog and had my hand come away smelly. Or at least I don't remember that ever happening. Of course, I keep my dog groomed, and he grooms himself as well. He also isn't outside that often so he doesn't get very dirty. I can honestly say that my experience is the exact opposite of yours in that I can tell if somebody has a cat or cats no matter how clean the house is. On the other hand, I cannot usually tell if there's a dog unless it makes its presence known. Of course, I also believe that every cat lover would probably relate to your experience and every dog lover with mine, lol.

We had a ferret once when I was married. Now if you want to talk about a smell, omg! They have a "wild" scent something to do with a gland...I can't remember all the details because its been more than a minute ago. The little thing was adorable and learned to like playing with our cats, in fact she was more aggressive than the cats and would chase them around. It was fun, but she did have that odor. Animals .... gotta love em!
    I'm talking the actual animals, not the homes in which they live. I never have to wash my hands after petting someone's cat because my hands smell. If a cat owner's house smells, it their fault, not the cat's. It's easy enough to keep the litter box clean and the house odor-free.

Maybe we're talking about different dog breeds, but my hands always smell after petting ANY dog I come into contact with. I have friends with dachshunds, German Shepherds, chihuahuas, Australian cattle dogs, mutts, retrievers, you name it. They all smell, especially the breeds with oily coats. Their cats? Never. You don't have to wash a cat to keep them from getting smelly. If you don't wash a dog = PEW!

I don't hate dogs, but I can't imagine ever wanting one. They're a pain in a butt and way too needy for my taste. I have a friend who loves that her dog is next to her all the time and wanting to be with her every second. That would drive me crazy. I like dogs, but when I'm at a friend's house and their dog is just constantly needing attention, it's just too much.

Jackson posted an update on Lux last week:
    'My Cat From Hell' host Jackson Galaxy refuses to give up on fierce feline Lux - Newsday
    That poor little guy. He's so lucky to have people fighting for him. So many people would have just had him put down and not taken the time to find out what's wrong with him. I hope they can get his FHS under control.

About the show this weekend, specifically Precious, the guy was an absolute jerk and his gf was a nitwit. How could she not see that her nasty little dogs were the problem in that situation? That poor cat was living on top of the fridge and she couldn't see that her dogs caused that problem? I was glad Jackson put them in their place and sent them to obedience school with their dogs. They ALL needed some educating. I felt so sorry for that beautiful cat. No wonder she was so unhappy.

One of my cats was in a fire when she was a kitten. Years later she'll still get agitated at the smell of smoke. That poor little pookie who got caught in the fire. I can't imagine how terrified she must have been.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yea well I tend to agree cats do smell & this is coming from a cat mommy who is anal when it comes to litter boxes! 5 cats=5 litter boxes that are cleaned twice a day & litter dumped out every other week and washed out. I just bought 3 new litter boxes last week which they are right now refusing to use. They will wait their turn to use the 2 older boxes...weird.
    causingchaos likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

So your actual cats smell? Not the litter box, but the cats themselves?
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My husband shares many features with our boy cat TJ. (I think there's some karma significance there.) One is they are both extremely aware of odors. I told him about the ongoing debate. He says he has tried very hard to detect a smell in TJ and there has never been anything. He doesn't accept it's just because he's used to his dear boy.

I wonder if any of these comparisons are about neutered male dogs v. unneutered tom cats.

FORT Fogey

I think there may be a couple of other factors involved with the whole cat vs. dog smell debate. Some scents simply set some people off more than others, regardless of obvious factors like allergies. For instance, I don't especially care for the scent of sandalwood, but it's the favorite perfume of one of my friends. One of my neighbors can't stand the fact that lavender is so popular because she hates the smell of lavender, while it doesn't bother me at all. In addition, if you prefer cats to dogs or dogs to cats, you're likely to find more aspects of whichever one you like least more objectionable. Personally, I do think some dogs have more of a distinctive odor than others, but I also think that some cats do, in fact, smell, and while I have taken care of other people's cats, am perfectly happy to pet one or have one in my lap, I've never had any great desire to own one. What other people find as their virtues--their independence, their unpredictability (a term a cat owner I know once used to describe a cat's interest in things that you think might not interest them--as an example, my sister had a pair of cats who would swipe her rings off her dresser and play "cat hockey" under the bed with them at night)--aren't necessarily things with which I wish to live, though I admit they can make for entertaining stories (one of my sister's cats also used to steal change and a)hide it in the base of the cat tree, where she once found over twelve dollars in change and b)drop it in the toilet to watch it spin). On the other hand, what some people might view as a dog being overly dependent, assuming we're not talking about rampant separation anxiety here, others see as a sign of loyalty and affection. Personally, I also enjoy walking a dog, which others find a chore, because I've met so many other people I'd likely not have met by doing so. I also have done and hope to continue to do pet therapy (my current dog is waiting for his certification papers--passed the test but can't visit until his registration is passed and we are approved as a team by a mentor who's seen us work together) with dogs and I enjoy that as well. I realize it's also possible to do pet therapy with cats, though it's less common, since some cats don't especially like being taken from facility to facility, can be harder to transport within the facility because they have to be carried if they won't walk on a leash etc. There are also simply fewer organizations set up to certify cats for therapy purposes, possibly because of some of those factors. And, of course, some things dogs do, cats just can't do, through no fault of their own--they can't be seeing eye dogs, because they're just too short. Similarly, aside from some of the terrier breeds that were bred to go after vermin, cats are usually better mousers than dogs.

What some people see as obsequiousness others see as obedience or a desire to please. What some people see as a sense of innate independence, others see as aloofness. And what some people find "smelly" others don't notice. At any rate, I don't think it's something you can generalize in the sense that "all" dogs smell or "all" cats smell. For that matter, it may not be the individual animal's fault that he/she smells, since there are medical factors that can come into play for some animals, just like they do for some humans.
    Brooks and lilymax like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    So your actual cats smell? Not the litter box, but the cats themselves?
    No the cats themselves don't stink at all. They groom themselves & each other all the time. It is the litter boxes! How pray tell HOW do they get pee on the top inside of the litter box? They have got to be almost standing on their head to do that! Keep in mind I have my litter boxes resting inside a black boot tray & the tray always has pee on it from leaking from the top of the box. That is the reason I bought 3 new boxes. Cats! What can I say, they allow me to still sleep in my bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Punkin and wannasee like this.
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Didn't download the right way but as you can see my cats allow me a slice of my bed.
    Brooks likes this.
    -Audrey Hepburn.

^ Lol Very cute and yes, generous of your kitties to leave a little space for you to work with! I'm really sensitive to the litter smells, too, pretty rigid with the cleaning schedule. I will say that the boxes are much better since I started using the plain scoopable litter at our Petco...you get a break on price, too, if you bring your container back and scoop it in from a big, bulk "pool" of litter. Anyway, for some reason, that plain, unscented stuff absorbs the odor way better than the fancy brands, especially those that are scented.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Having had cats and dogs of various types. I've had some dogs that smell like my oily coated ones some dogs that don't smell a whole lot and some cats that smell (I've had oily coated cats too) and some that don't smell. I've had some feral tom cats that just don't groom themselves. Ever. And when I'd get a hold of them to do it I'd come away with a funk. When I go out and do client visits with people who have pets I can usually smell them cat or dog and it's not the litter boxes I'm usually smelling. It's the residual pet hair and dander that gets on everything.

But I'm also one of those people who is really scent oriented. I'm sniffing and smelling everything. I'm used to animal smells in general though I really don't like the smell of captive birds.

I've also done the daily cleaning of the litter box with all sorts of different litter options and I've come to accept that the litter box smell is just a fact of life. Unless I cleaned the pee as it happened there will always be a residual pee smell or poo smell around. I find when it's humid it's worse and when it's dry it's not that bad. Which if I wasn't used to it could be a really offensive smell.

Anyhow I sincerely think there are dog people and there are cat people and there are people like me who don't have a strong preference. For those with a preference I find there's not a whole lot of grey area. And that's ok. I hate birds. And ok I'll admit am not a big fish fan but people like those as pets.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast