+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

Re: My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I am sorry, lilimax, if I took your words too literally. But I just had a visceral reaction to the idea of kicking an animal, and those were the words you used. I have never had a dog, nor would I ever want one. They are cute, but they often smell bad and I just don't understand them at all. I can't imagine the idea of following a dog around and scooping up it's feces. We've got a cat box in our utility room that gets scooped out twice a day and never has an odor and is not in any of our living areas. Works just fine.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? There are many folks who have both cats and dogs and understand them both. And there are those who are just dog people and love their dogs as family members, thinking nothing of following them about with a pooper scooper. Then there those like me who love everything about cats and who couldn't think of not having at least one cat at all times in their lives. I'm on vacation now, having left my cats at home in my son's loving care, and have "adopted" three feral cats for the week. Surprising how often that happens when I vacation! Jackson's show is for us. It's a cat show. For cat people.

I think I'm liking dogs even less after hearing your story of your (probably not usually viscous) dog mauling a cat for the transgression of trespass. From your description, the cat likely went off to die. No, this is not a dog lovers show. Maybe there is one on cable somewhere, but I wouldn't watch it. Not sure why you want to watch this one.?
    Gee, maybe I should learn to express myself differently! I'm horrified by some of your comments. I am also a cat person, but am allergic to them and found that dogs were a better "fit" with me. I don't hate cats, and I don't take any pleasure in the idea of a dog harming a cat, even though it was not just a sin of trespass, as you stated. It's more the teasing of the dogs that bothered me. The cats I was referring to were horrible about teasing the dogs. For years. I often wondered why they didn't just hop down off the 6' wood privacy fence once the dogs were out in the yard, but they often would walk the fence around the perimeter, teasing the dogs. The ones in my current neighborhood are not really what I would call well cared for either, as my neighbor is a very good man but careless about his cats. They roam the neighborhood at will, and they are bold! There was one out there in my back yard one day who was bigger than my dog, and when he went after it, I was afraid it might hurt him, because it was determined not to run at first, and faced him down. I had visions of his eyes being scratched out, but in the end the cat took off. Another rather large cat from next door sat and hissed at my daughter in my own yard and peed on her shoes!

I've been a cat owner before too. I loved my cats, but when I got divorced I needed to rehome them eventually. The allergies were too much for me and I couldn't give them the love I felt they needed.

I actually find cats to be much smellier than dogs, but then the breed I like best tend to keep themselves clean (I guess that's it?) and I have him groomed regularly. I often find him behaving in ways I consider "cat-like". Lol. I never could get completely used to the cat box, even though I kept it clean, I could always smell it. On the other hand, I don't need to follow my dog around with a scooper at all. He goes in the backyard, and a few minutes with a shovel now and then takes care of the problem. He's small, and so his poo isn't a huge problem, lol.

Although I do agree some people are indeed either dog or cat favoring, some of us like both but maybe one slightly more. I think it happens when we find a breed we particularly relate to, if that makes sense.

I disagree that this show is for cat lovers only. I really enjoy the show, I try not to miss it! Jackson is indeed a big teddy bear who loves kitties, and I find him adorable.

My teenage daughter is going through a cat-loving phase right now (she recently lost her dog who she's had since the age of 4) and I would in some ways love to add a cat to my home, but it just won't work. Being a teenager, she's just not going to be as responsible as she claims she would be, and I really can't afford any animal buddies at all for my little guy right now; I can barely afford what he needs. I'm also a bit afraid he would look at the cat as being prey, because he seems to react to small animals and kids with a desire to chase and catch. He doesn't know he's small, and he can be somewhat aggressive. He scared the hell out of me last week trying to go after a german shepherd while we were out walking. He had no idea he would have become an hors d'ouvre for that dog. I had to pick him up to keep him from the other dog, then it was circling us and sniffing too closely at us for my comfort. He's a funny little dog, and he makes me laugh, but he can be a handful.

I probably do relate a bit more to dogs than cats. That happened over a period of years where I had dogs and no cats. I was very much alone except for my dogs for a number of years, and had suffered some pretty devastating losses. So we were very bonded, as I am now with my new one. But no matter the species, any animal I welcome into my home is family.
    Punkin likes this.

I have to say, I started watching the show very against Lux's family. I thought these were people who were not interested in the cat, perhaps even provoking it.... I changed my mind by the end of the show. I think he is much better off in a family without a child for everyone's safety. I hope Lux is doing better.
    lilymax likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Me, too! Felt the family members were out for attention or something. It was surprising and interesting to learn about the disease the vet diagnosed the cat as having, I must say.

My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

I was sure there would be a reveal that the husband had kicked Lux harder than he claimed or even worse. Who knows? Maybe he did. I was glad they did the unselfish thing and let him go. That new home was SO much better for him.

One of my cats has a mild form of hyperesthesia syndrome and it's terrifying. His manifests itself in attacks against his tail. I've never seen anything like it. He goes after his tail like it's a foreign body that's not attached to him and like he's going to kill it. He actually bites it so hard sometimes that he yelps. It's awful. I've worked hard to keep his life stress-free and I've learned to diffuse his spells so he doesn't hurt himself. Cats with this condition can actually damage their own tails to the point where they have to be removed. It's pretty scary. I'm happy my little guy doesn't have too serious a form of it. I didn't know that they could actually turn those attacks out-ward.

Lilymax, there's so much in that post that I disagree with, but I'll only say that I've never encountered a dog that was less smelly than a cat. If you keep the litter box clean, you can't even tell there's a cat in the house. I know the second I walk in the door of a house with dogs. I never have to wash my hands after petting a cat because my hands smell bad.
    Last edited by Critical; 06-16-2014 at 03:07 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I thought they did a very good job of explaining the Lux situation, though it was somewhat awkward watching the episode, because my dog seemed bothered by the noises Lux would make before he lost it. To be fair, he also didn't like the growling and snapping of the little dogs on the episode of My Little Terror that followed My Cat From Hell. He wasn't afraid. More like he found their behavior disturbing and out of place. He just kept cocking his head back and forth and staring at the animals like they really shouldn't be doing that.

As for the whole dog vs. cat thing, I would describe myself as a dog person, but I have nothing against cats in general. In fact, I've pet sat for cats that were widely regarded as cats from hell, and a former neighbor's cat refused to come out of the basement when his owners were gone for anyone other than me. However, as far as the smell thing goes, I think that has a lot to do with what you're used to--I don't really find either of them smelly, but I'm probably quicker to pick up on a cat smell than a dog smell, just because, to me, that's more unusual.

I will admit to having stomped my foot in front of a neighbor's cat--I didn't touch him, but I did stomp at him and tell him, firmly, to get home, because he was lolled across my front step when I returned from a walk with my dog and when I nicely suggested that he needed to move, he hissed at me and took a swipe at my dog. I really didn't think he had the right to refuse me or my dog admittance into my own home (and now he takes off in the opposite direction if he sees me without me having to say a word to him). My dog has chased another neighbor's cat out of my yard as well, but while the cat didn't know it, his intent was actually to play with it (he's fine with cats), and he had no shot at all of catching up to the cat anyway. Those neighbors are lovely people, but the fact that they don't keep their cat home, on the excuse that he loves being outside, when they know he's also using the great outdoors (and all our yards) as his litter box does drive me crazy. I'm willing to pick up after my own dog, but I shouldn't have to pick up after their cat as well. Besides, as I've pointed out to them before, he gets a lot further from home than they think he does, and I've seen him in the street on more than one occasion. I'm afraid that if they don't keep him home, they're going to have to explain to their kids that he was hit by a car--and it is against the law in this city to let your cats roam around anyway, even if they are spayed/neutered. You're not allowed to let a dog roam freely either. In both cases, that makes perfect sense to me, since all kinds of bad things can happen to an unsupervised animal wandering about on its own.

Wow, Critical, glad you learned about your cat's situation and can help make it better! I'm just watching this episode and I'll wait to see the whole thing through, but one thing really didn't sit well with me, so far. That was when the mom said that she was torn between her cat and her baby. (And I would have to watch again to see which she listed first.) I love animals and have loved my cats and dogs but I can't imagine there'd be any choice if my baby's safety was in question...

Hmm...very glad to see the vet involvement and the foster family stepping up. Still a bit weirded out by the mom's behavior but glad she agreed to let the cat go to the foster parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Bring it on! I have two kickass cats who are ready to give it a try.
    My cats vote nightly that the weakest link gets voted off my bed. I am usually the one elected however I have treats!

I have a total of 5 cats living with me; 3 are mine 2 belong to my son. All were rescues & we all pretty much live in harmony. We don't have cat fights, we get some hissing but that is about it. My son's cat Kimi has what Lux does. She is a BIG cat, well over 20 pounds. You will see her body start to twitch and that is pretty much the signal just let her have a moment. She has never attacked anyone or any of her feline family. She will growl & hiss but the other cats have learned just to let her have her space and she will be fine in a minute or two. After she is over it, she lays on her back for tickle belly. We have never hit, kicked, yelled at or sprayed our cats with water. I go home to 5 babies who all want their love turn.
    My son & my last adoptee, she just did not like that boy. She never scratched, bit or even hissed at him but she didn't like him. I finally figured out why; he would grab her from behind & lift her up into the air. That stopped right away. I had to explain to him that he needs to go down on her level, look her in the eye & just blink eyes at her. When she blinks back she is allowing you to touch her. Since he started doing that she sleeps next to him as much as she does next to me. There are some nights when she prefers her cat bed & that is fine.
    Punkin and Brooks like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I was sure there would be a reveal that the husband had kicked Lux harder than he claimed or even worse. Who knows? Maybe he did. I was glad they did the unselfish thing and let him go. That new home was SO much better for him.

One of my cats has a mild form of hyperesthesia syndrome and it's terrifying. His manifests itself in attacks against his tail. I've never seen anything like it. He goes after his tail like it's a foreign body that's not attached to him and like he's going to kill it. He actually bites it so hard sometimes that he yelps. It's awful. I've worked hard to keep his life stress-free and I've learned to diffuse his spells so he doesn't hurt himself. Cats with this condition can actually damage their own tails to the point where they have to be removed. It's pretty scary. I'm happy my little guy doesn't have too serious a form of it. I didn't know that they could actually turn those attacks out-ward.

Lilymax, there's so much in that post that I disagree with, but I'll only say that I've never encountered a dog that was less smelly than a cat. If you keep the litter box clean, you can't even tell there's a cat in the house. I know the second I walk in the door of a house with dogs. I never have to wash my hands after petting a cat because my hands smell bad.
    I'm curious as to what else you disagree with, but hey that's ok. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

About the smells, I do have to agree with another poster who mentioned that it could be a case of what you're used to. I, for example, have never patted a dog and had my hand come away smelly. Or at least I don't remember that ever happening. Of course, I keep my dog groomed, and he grooms himself as well. He also isn't outside that often so he doesn't get very dirty. I can honestly say that my experience is the exact opposite of yours in that I can tell if somebody has a cat or cats no matter how clean the house is. On the other hand, I cannot usually tell if there's a dog unless it makes its presence known. Of course, I also believe that every cat lover would probably relate to your experience and every dog lover with mine, lol.

We had a ferret once when I was married. Now if you want to talk about a smell, omg! They have a "wild" scent something to do with a gland...I can't remember all the details because its been more than a minute ago. The little thing was adorable and learned to like playing with our cats, in fact she was more aggressive than the cats and would chase them around. It was fun, but she did have that odor. Animals .... gotta love em!
    causingchaos likes this.

I think you can become used to some odors and not notice them anymore. Many years ago my husband was stationed at McCord AFB near Tacoma, Washington. At that time Tacoma was home to many pulp mills and when I first moved up there the smell from the pulp mills was overwhelming and I was nauseated by it. After about 6 months my mother came up to visit and she asked, "What is that Godawful smell?" I was horrified to find I couldn't even notice it any more! Probably all for the best if you have animals. But cats are constant groomers and if you notice an odor it is probably because of a cat litter box not being cleaned often enough. With dogs, I'll notice it on my hand after petting one. But, I'll agree with,....
    animals, gotta' love 'em
    Our pets give us so much and demand so little. I wonder if we are worthy? But we certainly try.
    lilymax and wannasee like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast