+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

Re: My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet

Yeah, I get what Jackson is trying to do with the cats. He's concerned that the cats be allowed to be the best cats they can be, lol. I just wouldn't have the time or patience for it. I don't think I'd want to acquire/install any of the catified objects for houses I've seen and it's not because I keep a really fancy house, either. I'm not that picky. But I agree people shouldn't get animals if they are not a good fit, and a cat wouldn't fit into my household mainly because of my dog. I can just see kitty doing the typical things cats like to do, like leaping in the air from one surface to another above the ground. My dog would have a fit, and kitty would probably quickly go from being a plaything to being a critter my dog wants to catch and then do god knows what to it. Like the cats that like to hang in my backyard. They love to tease dogs then when the dog decides kitty needs to be chased.....chased HARD, the cat runs, shimmies up onto the fence and teases the dog, and the frustrated dog has no prayer of catching the cat up on the fence. I wouldn't want my dog to undergo this frustration in his own home, and once the cat came down, he would probably become prey for my dog. I don't want any bloodshed in my home, and I'm pretty sure there would be. A big cat would be a match for my dog in weight possibly, and cats can claw like mad. My dog is not mean, but he doesn't really like cats on his property. My old dogs who died a few years ago HATED cats. The cats in my old neighborhood were nuisance cats. They were constantly in the yard and on the fences, teasing the dogs. My little female, who weighed 16 lbs, finally caught a kitty by its back while it was trying to escape onto a fence. She dragged the cat down to the ground and was in the process of tearing its back open when my daughter saw the fracas and yelled for me to come outside. One of my male dogs, who weighed about 30 lbs then, was headed out to help the female. I yelled at my dog and she loosened her grip and the cat took off. It was horrible. I didn't blame the dogs; those cats had been bothering them for years. I blamed the cat owners, who didn't bother to keep their cats safe. I have no idea what happened to that cat, but I hope it was ok. My neighbors did not know whose cat it was.

So no, kitties wouldn't fit in here. I thought my little dog was ok with them but the last time he took off after a cat in the backyard, he was trying in earnest to catch it and he didn't look happy.

People definitely need to know whether an animal will be a good fit before they get one, or more than one. And they need to be sure they can give it a good life too.
    Feeding and grooming costs add up, not to mention vet care!

I'm not a fan of roaming cats. That's the issue in many of Jackson's cases, outside cats that invade what the housecat considers to be its territory by wandering too close to the home. It can make the indoor cat really ill. Most owners who let their cats loose have no idea at all what havock those cats may be spreading. I've tried the sensor activated sprinklers Jackson has recommended but hard to get enough coverage around my home.

FORT Fogey

We have a cat who pees all over the house. I've tried different litter and I keep the box clean. No luck. She's kind of skittish in general ... almost like a kitten who never really matured.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    We have a cat who pees all over the house. I've tried different litter and I keep the box clean. No luck. She's kind of skittish in general ... almost like a kitten who never really matured. Any suggestions?
    Lots of possibilities and a good example of why Jackson says it's important to be a cat detective.

For instance, it might not be strictly behavioral. She may have a urinary tract issue, usually from stress or inappropriate food (kibble or grains). When it hurts to use the litter box they will often seek out another place.

Keep careful track of exactly where she's peeing because it may not be random. If she's having territorial angst about outdoor cats then where she pees should be relevant to that.

Or maybe she doesn't like what you're using to clean the box (for instance, don't use anything with ammonia because it will smell like pee to them).

I work a lot with animal communicators. Takes away all the guesswork when something like this comes up.
    Punkin likes this.

If the litter box is closed in the smell becomes incredible in those areas. Those litter boxes that clean their own clumps sometimes scare cats. Or if the box is in a public/high traffic area it can cause stress. I keep a couple boxes in my basement for the cats. If cats are declawed sometimes they will associate litter getting into the wounds on their toes causing pain with the box and avoid it too. Could be territorial. Could be smelling former cats in the house. Or cats outside.

Have you placed the box where she is tending to pee see if she gets the pee in the box there?

Some cats need a really clean box too. Any poops or pee clumps will make them feel dirty.

Could be health issues. She could be stressed. Is she generally relaxed? Feral cat at my house is spooky but generally really relaxed for example.

I bet you'll see a pattern if you kind of sit and watch her. But kind of go at it too from an angle of "would I use this as my bathroom if it were me?"

On a side note (because I can't do multiple quotes in these) I have never installed anything for a cat in any place I've lived like shelving on the walls. I have a squatty cat tree thing (3ft high) for them to scratch on. But I also think doing those installations is a symptom of the size of these places and the number of animals some of these people have or the normal behavioral needs of the cats they are acquiring. But you almost need to have a wall method of moving around some of these apartments on this show just to keep the animals apart or so they had space to move freely away from people. I mean just like dogs too there are active cats and lazy cats. Got to the fit the cat to your space and life style. Not try to mold a cat to fit into your life. Not fair to the animal.

Love Jackson Galaxy. He is awesome. My favorite scenes are when he is sitting with the cats just talking to them and loving on them. He is nothing but a big old teddy bear when it comes to them.
    Punkin and wannasee like this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I am sorry, lilimax, if I took your words too literally. But I just had a visceral reaction to the idea of kicking an animal, and those were the words you used. I have never had a dog, nor would I ever want one. They are cute, but they often smell bad and I just don't understand them at all. I can't imagine the idea of following a dog around and scooping up it's feces. We've got a cat box in our utility room that gets scooped out twice a day and never has an odor and is not in any of our living areas. Works just fine.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? There are many folks who have both cats and dogs and understand them both. And there are those who are just dog people and love their dogs as family members, thinking nothing of following them about with a pooper scooper. Then there those like me who love everything about cats and who couldn't think of not having at least one cat at all times in their lives. I'm on vacation now, having left my cats at home in my son's loving care, and have "adopted" three feral cats for the week. Surprising how often that happens when I vacation! Jackson's show is for us. It's a cat show. For cat people.

I think I'm liking dogs even less after hearing your story of your (probably not usually viscous) dog mauling a cat for the transgression of trespass. From your description, the cat likely went off to die. No, this is not a dog lovers show. Maybe there is one on cable somewhere, but I wouldn't watch it. Not sure why you want to watch this one.?
    chenoa333 likes this.

There is now a Jackson take-off for dogs immediately following My Cat From Hell, called My Tiny Terror, for "naughty little dogs in the Great Los Angeles area". I'll pass. ;^)
    Punkin and chenoa333 like this.

I love this show, but don't watch very often because of my work schedule and I forget to DVR. A coworker met Jackson at an event in SF, she does a lot of work with getting feral cats fixed and such. Sounds like he was very approachable and cool in person.

I'm trying to watch more now because I am in the beginning stages of moving down to marry my long-distance SO...and we each have two cats. Trying to get tips on how to integrate them, especially when his fight quite a lot (and not the playful kind of fighting). We started out trading off towels that the cats had slept on and played with and we thought it was working. But now my bonded brother-sister, who have always been really loving, get into some hard-knocking fights. Not sure if it could be them sensing these other cats "in the house" and it's triggering some aggression? Some of the shows have had a basis in territorial instincts kicking in because of sensing cats outdoors that threaten them...any tips gratefully accepted!
    Punkin likes this.

Sorry you are leaving the Bay Area, wannasee. We'll miss you! But congrats on joining your long-distance love! Maybe if you write to Jackson at Animal Planet aforehand you might get some good hints from him.
    wannasee likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast