+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Alaskan Bush People (Discovery)

Alaskan Bush People (Discovery)

This is one of the most unusual shows I've seen in awhile. You must check it out. These people are very unique to say the least. The personalities are memorable.

It's about a family, seven children, most who are adults, and their parents who are building their one room home in the Alaskan wilderness. Each one seems to have their own talent.

One of the most curious things about it is that the kid's accents. None of them talk like their parents. I can't figure it out.

Alaskan Bush People : Discovery Channel

They were raised in the wilderness. They really don't know who Kim Kardashian is. lol
    Last edited by Debb70; 05-16-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    momrek06 likes this.

Re: Alaskan Bush People (Discovery)

I watched it for the first time last night and was intrigued. The thing about their accents is that not everyone in the family has it!! Weird.. Anyway, I couldn't get over how LATE in the season they began this home building project. They previously lived in another part of Alaska so they must realize how.cold.it.gets.there. so why didn't they begin the trek to their new land a month or two earlier? Hmmm... It's a reality show so I realize it's not actually 100% "real". I'm thinking they'll get some help from the producers of the show (when the cameras are off) to complete the job or they will truly freeze to death. That said, I will keep watching this show. This family is unique and I want to see more of them.

I also watch a few of the other Alaska themed shows... Alaska: The Last Frontier, Life Below Zero, and Living Alaska which I truly enjoy. However, this group of people seem the most genuinely off the grid "Alaskan" type of them all.....if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 05-16-2014 at 07:11 PM.
    momrek06 and Debb70 like this.

I watched it too, the first two episodes I think and also found it intriguing and different. I watch Life Below Zero, too, which has its own set of fascinating people.
    momrek06, tinderbox and Debb70 like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I like Yukon Men too, in addition to the ones listed above. Each show is unique and has their own set of personalities.

I watched the second episode of this show and saw the guys go into town to try to meet the ladies. lol

One thing that became apparent to me is that if the sons left and started their own life, the parents wouldn't be able to survive. The dad is not strong enough to hunt, trap, build, etc. He is not physically able, so it's his sons who are really supporting him. I guess they like it that way, although both parents encouraged the boys to go out and meet women. They said they hope they find a wife.

2 episodes in and I love this show! The sons are all such interesting characters. Their personalities are as varied as their accents. :p

The scenes with them getting ready to go meet the ladies and hanging out in the bar was just awesome. Cute and funny and awkward.

They all seem like nice guys but I think they're going to have a tough go at finding a woman who would agree to come live like they do. Especially if she is not used to it.

It's also interesting to see how they barter for things and basically get by without having real jobs/sources of steady income.

Anyway, I couldn't get over how LATE in the season they began this home building project. They previously lived in another part of Alaska so they must realize how.cold.it.gets.there. so why didn't they begin the trek to their new land a month or two earlier?
    I thought it was because they said the government burnt down their cabin so they essentially had no where to live. They had no choice but to buy that cheap land and get started late.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I think they start building their house when the tv show producers say. They need that element of urgency for drama sake.The theme is "Can they get that house built before the winter hits?"

That kind of theme is very common in most of those shows. They have to get the cows back from the summer pasture land before the big snow storm, get the out house rebuilt before things freeze, shoot the moose before hunting season expires, etc. The producers think this makes for a more amusing show. lol That's why those people do ridiculous things that don't make a lot of sense, IMO.

There have only been two episodes so far, right?
    When I check, I see multiple times this show airs in the near future but it seems it's always one of the two I've already seen. I can't figure out when the next NEW episode airs. Can any of you?

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    There have only been two episodes so far, right?
    When I check, I see multiple times this show airs in the near future but it seems it's always one of the two I've already seen. I can't figure out when the next NEW episode airs. Can any of you?
    Yes two episodes; May 6 and May 13 have aired.

TONIGHT at 10pm on Discovery will be the 3rd episode.

Blindsided
    As the Browns race to finish their cabin, temperatures plummet and an illness hits the family.
    Their ability to survive the winter rests on the brothers as they race to get essential supplies and complete the home.
    Then, the unexpected strikes.

Debb, DH & I watch YUKON MEN too! We have seen every season and really enjoy it.
    Debb70 likes this.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Yes two episodes; May 6 and May 13 have aired.

TONIGHT at 10pm on Discovery will be the 3rd episode.

Blindsided
    As the Browns race to finish their cabin, temperatures plummet and an illness hits the family.
    Their ability to survive the winter rests on the brothers as they race to get essential supplies and complete the home.
    Then, the unexpected strikes.
    Thank you so much. The descriptions of each show sound similar and (on Time Warner) they're described as "NEW" when they really aren't.

I've been noticing that Time Warner episode descriptions are becoming more and more confusing calling something new when it isn't.
    Moontat likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast