+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Alaskan Bush People (Discovery)

Re: Alaskan Bush People (Discovery)

I've read so much about this show and really want to watch it. I'm on the west coast and have Comcast. When is it on? I can't find it in the guide section. When I went to On Demand and did a search, and nothing!

Oh, Life Below Zero does have a thread on National Geo, just not on FORT. I couldn't find it and I didn't start one, since I didn't think anyone but me watched it. lol

I don't think Bush People is On Demand, but it does come on at odd times. Time Warner used to have a guide that would give you all the times a show would play, but they stopped it here. Last week I went to Discovery Channel and looked through the guide for the entire week. I found it on a Tuesday afternoon at 4:00 p.m.! Go figure. Hopefully, they will rerun so others can catch up. You may be able to watch it on National Geo channel.
    elleprn likes this.

Thanks Debb, I'll try that route!

You aren't alone, Debb70. I've watched Life Below Zero from its inception. I'm on Cox and the show runs a few times each week and lots of reruns, too. I don't know about Comcast, elleprn.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I noticed there was an episode of Bush People on last night. It said new and looked like a reflection back on their experiences living in the bush of Alaska. I passed on it.

I watched the behind the scenes episode that was on last night. While I missed the last 2 actual episodes in the series, it was very interesting to see and hear about things that weren't aired on the show. They talked about scenes that were cut and things that happened that weren't included in the episodes (including talking about hostilities of the locals toward the discovery channel film crews). The family members answered questions culled from online comments like "who is the most outgoing?" "do you feel that you are forcing your children into this lifestyle?", etc. I found it fascinating and endearing. Despite our personal opinions on their lifestyle, you can't deny that the kids are respectful, well spoken, and seem genuinely nice. Quite an improvement over the majority of the entitled kids many of us encounter on a regular basis.

My favorite part of the show last night were more clips of the guys trying to hit on women in various locations. It was hard not to be charmed by their goofy awkwardness. I also liked hearing them answer questions about pop culture references. What do you think twerking is? etc. Watching Matt crack up over someone being named "Justin Beaver" was hysterical.

ETA: I wanted to comment on a couple things mentioned in this thread - Firstly, a Facebook page - just because they have one now, doesn't mean it was theirs. I would bet it was set up for them by Discovery. Social Media marketing for a new show typically includes all of those web properties to make sure that interested viewers can find information anywhere. And secondly, the comments on Ami's homeschooling - please - get up to speed on the reality of who does homeschooling. The answer is - lots of people - and the majority of them don't have degrees or backgrounds in education. A lot of people who homeschool have no business teaching anyone - but there is no regulation on that anywhere. I could decide tomorrow that I don't agree with the methods used in my county, quit my job, buy a curriculum online and bam! my kids are now homeschooled. We don't know what or how she teaches the kids but they can clearly read, write, articulate clearly, do basic math etc. They aren't ignorant.
    Last edited by MiaT2; 06-16-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    Florimel and Moontat like this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I'm glad you caught the question and answer episode. I'm still not interested.

I realize those shows are scripted, but there was something about that show that just didn't smell right. I think it was mainly hyped and fake. That's just my take on it.

And I don't have much regard for them either. And just because the kids, some adults, seem respectful or nice, doesn't mean much to me. I grew up in a very strict religious church. I didn't have it as bad as others I knew, but there were some who were abused by their parents. They seemed real nice and happy in front of people and when they were paraded in front of the church, but I knew what those kids really dealt with at home. Some were preachers' kids! Happy smiling faces in public does not translate to an actual, happy child. Abuse/neglect is often masked. I'm not saying the Bush people abuse their kids, but if they are indeed living the way they portrayed on that reality show, that young daughter is being neglected. Wandering from place to place, in the cold, never a safe place to put your clothes or school supplies, food being rationed or nonexistent, no regular healthcare, no hygiene facilities or products, .......it boggles the mind.

Wandering from place to place, in the cold, never a safe place to put your clothes or school supplies, food being rationed or nonexistent
    I am honestly curious as to where the concept that they were routinely wandering from place to place has come from. It was made pretty clear that the entire family lived in the the same cabin until they went to town one day and returned and it was burnt to the ground. The show never said that they led a nomadic existence. It was only until they lost their first cabin that they moved up to the new land shown on the show. Then they moved again because they didn't feel it was safe. Also, none of those people look undernourished so I can't see how, other than during the time when they were trying to restart their lives, that you can intimate that food was being rationed or nonexistent. I think that anyone who lives a subsistence lifestyle needs to practice some discipline when it comes to food distribution.
    Florimel likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

They described their life as nomadic more than once on the series. They talked about how often everything had been ripped from them and how they had to keep starting over. It wasn't as if it only happened once or twice. They also seemed to know lots about how different people were in places across Alaska. I'm basing my opinion on what I saw coming straight from their mouth during the series. Even the show wasn't sure the story about their house being burned down one day was true, because if you notice the announcer says, THE BROWNS REPORT that this happened. Wouldn't you think the producers could have confirmed it.....smells fishy to me.... I'm not sure what to believe about these people.

Here's an article that explains a few things:

http://www.adn.com/article/20140531/...claims-gunfire

You can't fix stupid.
    I don't always act like a bitch; but when I do, I'm the lead float in the bitch parade.

+ Reply to Thread