+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Southern Charm on Bravo

Southern Charm on Bravo

Don't see a thread yet for this new Bravo show.....watched it the other night and kind of enjoyed it. I'm in Georgia and I've never heard of any of these self proclaimed old Charleston names, but then again, oh well. Thomas Ravenel is attractive but definitely a playboy as are the other guys. Realized that Cameran Eubanks was the same Cameran that was on Real World San Diego in 2004. Her Southern Charm bio doesn't mention that; wonder if she regrets how promiscuous she was then.

Anyway, will be watching this if for nothing else the beautiful Charleston scenery. Gotta see more of these folks before I can properly snark on them!!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

Re: Southern Charm on Bravo

I tuned in mostly for the Charleston scenery (my favorite US city). Ravenel has an interesting backstory. You'd think he'd want to behave a little more on television. ha! I like Cameran, and I do remember her from Real World. That was one of the last seasons I watched.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I kinda like the show, and I found most of the characters to be fairly intriguing (as opposed to the new show Private Lives of Nashville Wives on TNT) in which the cast members aren't very interesting to me.

And thanks, ElizabethG for the heads-up on Cameran. She did look a tiny bit familiar to me, but even though I watched her (and liked her) on the Real World, I did not remember her being on that show.

Funny, I was thinking how much she reminded me of that girl on RW SD! Don't like the show, though. Another cast of shallow idiots.
    sparklete likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Is ANYBODY watching this trainwreck besides me??
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Yes, I've been watching it since the first episode. While it is a trainwreck, I find it quite amusing. I don't understand why Thomas, 50 years old, would have ANY interest in the red-headed woman on the show who is only 21. It seems the previews for the next episode show her acting like a 21-year-old, perhaps inebriated, very unlike what a man of his stature would want in a female partner. If he is trying to revive his career after a felony prison term and be elected to public office, he needs to present a face to the world of maturity and having been rehabilitated. Hooking up with someone young enough to be his daughter is not the way to go.

I don't see that Thomas is serious about rehabilitating his reputation or running for political office, based on his actions and comments on this show. He must have given up that aspiration already as illusory already, based on the way he's talks-- making jokes about cocaine ("I just liked the smell"-- does he have cocaine confused with marijuana?) -- and dating Kathryn who not only looks very young, but also awfully over made-up and uncool-- plus his comment about wanting a Scarlett, not a Melanie from Gone with the Wind. I don't think Scarlett is the women to help you rehabilitate your besmirched social credentials. Plus all that talk about picking a wife so he can seem stable-- tends to make any relationship he has going forward seem cynical at best.

It was pretty funny, too, when he was quoting Polonius, from Hamlet-- a character a lot of serious readers think is made out by Shakespeare to be a pompous fool-- -- noting-- "and that's from Macbeth"-suggesting he's a total fraud..

To me the spectacle of these super=rich dilettantes, sipping tea and drinks on a lazy afternoon, nothing to do except amuse themselves and live off their trust funds-- and who then vote Republican-- "keep the government out of the boardroom"-- so we can continue to make money on the backs of the "underserving" poor-- makes me wonder-- what to they think they've done to deserve their good fortune? To make them entitled and the poor 'underving.'? My answer is nada.

So while the context is beginning to grate on me-- how they've had it all-- and yet they feel superior to people who've had to work for everything they're got--
    candor and Imperfect1 like this.

FoRTer

I think I've heard that joke before about "just liking the smell" of cocaine; it is a little bit funny. I like this show when I run across it channel surfing. The scenery is nice, and the cast seems pretty laid back from what I've seen. So far my favorite character is that blonde-ish lanky guy (his name escapes me) who is pursuing MJ.

Shep -- that's his name.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 04-05-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I'm enjoying the show! I love watching these "slice of life" style reality shows, especially involving societies and people I wouldn't normally be exposed to. Yes, in this case, I take issue with a lot of the choices of some of the people we've seen so far, but I turn the show off when the mean-girl antics and violence starts. I'm glad that's not the case on this show.
    cavendish likes this.

All that said--though-- that I find their political views unacceptable, given their good fortune-- I do enjoy this show, for some reason. For one thing, there is not so far much bickering, "drama" in the bad sense, or back-stabbing. The people do seem pretty relaxed, the atmosphere of wealth and self-indulgence is sometimes pleasant to bask in-- even if it is entitled and unself-aware-- and the people are after all attractive.

It's sort of a guilty pleasure-- unlike the Housewives, and other "reality shows" where everyone is at one another's throat-- and the suppressed rage,hurt, and sometimes contempt are really hard to take.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast