+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Jim Henson's Creature Shop (SyFy)

Re: Jim Henson's Creature Shop begins March 25 on syfy

The alien with the sideways teeth was my favorite too Jade, but they all were quite good. I am enjoying the show a lot!

One thing I have really appreciated is that I feel like for the most part they have given them enough time to really create great creatures. They still have to work hard and manage their time, but they have enough to be really creative.

I also love that they have the creatures actually perform scenes. That's been a lot of fun. Like the one this week or the heads on the wizards wall. I sure hop this gets picked up for another season!
    mushybrain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I watched this week and will say that all the designs were good. I do agree with who was eliminated, but they were all very good so it was the TINIEST of details (literally - I think the eyes are what got the guy eliminated sadly, and it was just a tiny needing contrast issue).

It was also nice to see that they did indeed use some of the creatures the designers designed in the actual teasers and commercials for the show. One of these was from Melissa, and it makes me hope that one other character that I saw in commercials - some sort of flat faced owl looking type with long shaggy hair - will appear as well.

I loved the little stories the designers made up for their characters, two even deciding to do a banter between their two aliens.

My favorite of the four was this one with a weird coconut with eyes and sideways teeth that opened up to a British acting alien. It was quite cute. I liked the overachiever's one as well with the neat larger character head and the inner one, but I don't think his outer character was that impressive compared to the last one of the four.

It is shaping up to be a great finale, and all these artists, even the eliminated ones, didn't do a horrible job on any of these creatures - as in a completely bad character (just details such as Lex's feet on the giant lizard). Shows that they have a lot of talent in this pool. I'm hoping this gets another season, but with SyFy who knows.

One more point - I did NOT realize that the hostess (Gigi Edgley) was Chiana on "Farscape" until this episode, but that was also when they showed her kissing Rigel in a still from that series.
    Really? You didn't recognize her as Chiana? I knew it from her real name alone, but she is so recognizable. Chiana was one of my favorite characters from the show. I've been waiting and hoping they'd show something from Farscape. I was kind of hoping for Pilot, but I guess he was way too large. That show had amazing and diverse alien characters, both real and created. Stlll have a hard time believing that Lani Tupu (Crais) voiced Pilot.

I really love this show and sincerely hope it gets another season AND a pool from pikachu.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Really? You didn't recognize her as Chiana? I knew it from her real name alone, but she is so recognizable. Chiana was one of my favorite characters from the show. I've been waiting and hoping they'd show something from Farscape. I was kind of hoping for Pilot, but I guess he was way too large. That show had amazing and diverse alien characters, both real and created. Stlll have a hard time believing that Lani Tupu (Crais) voiced Pilot.

I really love this show and sincerely hope it gets another season AND a pool from pikachu.
    I admit I didn't watch Farscape enough to not know the relevance, and they did such a good job on her makeup in that show that she does look - to me anyway, a completely different person.

It is admittedly a compliment too that I didn't realize she was Chiana because... I'm also 0-2 on the hostesses for these shows for previous roles, because it took me at least a full two season to realize MacKenzie Westmore played Sheridan on "Passions" (probably because she had shorter hair in that show. Looks better longer).

And yes, Pilot would've been too big probably to be on display for this show... or they felt that without Moya as part of the design as well that the character would look a bit off. It would've made sense to have the two together though because of the symbiosis/two character type issue that was reflected in last night's challenge.
    Florimel likes this.

I loved the little stories the designers made up for their characters, two even deciding to do a banter between their two aliens.

My favorite of the four was this one with a weird coconut with eyes and sideways teeth that opened up to a British acting alien. It was quite cute.
    That one was my favorite as well. I loved at the end of his speech when he said, "Cheerio."
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

I admit I didn't watch Farscape enough to not know the relevance, and they did such a good job on her makeup in that show that she does look - to me anyway, a completely different person.

It is admittedly a compliment too that I didn't realize she was Chiana because... I'm also 0-2 on the hostesses for these shows for previous roles, because it took me at least a full two season to realize MacKenzie Westmore played Sheridan on "Passions" (probably because she had shorter hair in that show. Looks better longer).

And yes, Pilot would've been too big probably to be on display for this show... or they felt that without Moya as part of the design as well that the character would look a bit off. It would've made sense to have the two together though because of the symbiosis/two character type issue that was reflected in last night's challenge.
    That makes complete sense. I watched Farscape in its entirety more than once and I've just started streaming it yet again. All the pop culture references that Crichton made to the crew throughout the series (Yoda, John Wayne, et al.,) just tickled my funny bone.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Will say I was surprised by the winner, but felt that there were really only two that were the most deserving of the three.

My favorites were Robert's and Melissa's designs, and I couldn't take my eyes off of either character's expressions or actions in the whole scene. Ben's to me blended in the background (which is a bit of an oxymoron given the color scheme but still). I did think Ben had the best story, but the character to me fell flat. I honestly felt he finished third if they ranked them.

Melissa's was my favorite, even with the weak story. Her action that was required (I think some sort of body function) of smoke blowing through the character's nose was the easiest to see of the three and the puppeteer's movements gave the character a lot of expressions and life.

Robert's was a very close second for my favorites, and it's second only because I couldn't see the action - snot coming out of his nose when he sneezed. I liked the sneer and the mannerisms, and his walk in was one of the best out there. The walk in reminded me a bit of Sweetums from "The Muppet Show" but in a good way because you saw the character, not a person in a costume. The arm movement putting down his item was a bit odd but it wasn't too distracting.

Ben's to me just didn't work, and the carapace was his downfall. He should've looked in a mirror on the design, because it hurt him.

Not a bad season, and I think they should bring it back for a second one. The designers were very VERY creative and it was fun to see the results. My favorite one was the wizard one with the animated heads, but they all were very impressive.
    Florimel and TripleGemini like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Melissa has impressed me the most this whole season so I was hoping she would win. I didn't even remember who Robert was when they announced that he won. I guess he didn't make that much of an impression on me.

Good finale, though. I liked the show and will definitely watch it again if it's picked up for another season. It would be nice if they gave the contestants a bit more time. Three days to construct something that normally would take 3 months is ridiculous.
    Florimel likes this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Good finale, though. I liked the show and will definitely watch it again if it's picked up for another season. It would be nice if they gave the contestants a bit more time. Three days to construct something that normally would take 3 months is ridiculous.
    True, but given the high quality we got in three days...

ALL the designers will be fantastic with more time.

Robert I was ok with winning of Melissa didn't. I loved his British alien last week and this one was deserving.

If Ben had won with that character I'd been disappointed.

I still think Melissa's was the best. I think the lower mouth did her in. It did look a bit too puppet like. That said my eyes kept drawing to her character of the three with the expressions and actions.

I agree that all three were talented and I also agree that I would have liked to see Melissa as the winner and Robert as the runner up.

I liked Ben's work, but I got somewhat turned off by is attitude of "I can do it all better myself." From what I saw all season, I think he would find it difficult to get along in a collaborative studio. Brian Hensen even warned him about just that.

I do hope we'll see another season. I liked it more than Face Off.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Yeah, I still hope Face Off might take a cue from this show and have the models act out a brief scene in their makeup for the judging instead of just have them walk in and stand there. A few models put in a performance but it's more the exception than the norm.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast