+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Jim Henson's Creature Shop (SyFy)

Re: Jim Henson's Creature Shop begins March 25 on syfy

Anyone watch this week's episode?

First...yay, Tina is gone!

And second...wow. Three amazing Skeksis, all made in three days. Three teams of three. (I'm beginning to see a pattern ;-) ). The three team members and the puppeteer all had to take part in the screen test. It was really impressive.

I watched and agree with your "nay!" I find myself really liking this show. I'm hoping for a Farscape based challenge.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I watched, and was dismayed to see the Bickersons paired together again. Thank goodness Tina was eliminated. She was just way out of her element in this competition.

My favorite Skesis was the ice one, but I thought the first one was very good, too. I was surprised that the guy who did all the gadgetry for his skesis didn't win. He was the only one whose moving parts actually worked.

I really like this show! It makes me want to see Face Off do a screen test thing during the judging. Instead of just having the models come out and stand there, it would be neat to have them act out a short sequence, every model doing the same part when their turn comes up, and then have the judges come in for a closer look.

I'm enjoying the show as well. I thought that people held their tempers well with Tina this week, but I'm glad to see her gone.

When I tried this show out the first episode I thought it might be too much like face-off, but it's really quite different and I'm enjoying it a lot! I like that they give them enough time to really put together some amazing things.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I watched, and was dismayed to see the Bickersons paired together again. Thank goodness Tina was eliminated. She was just way out of her element in this competition.

My favorite Skesis was the ice one, but I thought the first one was very good, too. I was surprised that the guy who did all the gadgetry for his skesis didn't win. He was the only one whose moving parts actually worked.

I really like this show! It makes me want to see Face Off do a screen test thing during the judging. Instead of just having the models come out and stand there, it would be neat to have them act out a short sequence, every model doing the same part when their turn comes up, and then have the judges come in for a closer look.
    I agree, the scenes make a big difference. I can remember FaceOff doing a contest where they did the makeup and it had to stay on during a cirque de sol (sp?) kinda act and another where they had to survive an underwater scene. Seems like I remember a chriographed dance number one time too so they have done some action challenges.

Face Off's finale has always included the actors moving and emoting in their makeups. I forgot to tape this last week, will remember this coming week.

P.S. I'm glad she's gone as well.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I forgot about this show last night since Face Off wasn't on before it. I did manage to catch the last 30 minutes, though. They mentioned at the end of the show that it's moving to a new time.

I kind of thought the lily pad creature would win instead of Melissa's.

I noticed that the faces of a lot of the creatures had the same look. I don't know if that was coincidental or if there was something in the instructions that they had to have that type of look. Honestly, I wasn't blown away by any of the creatures this week. They were just ok.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I forgot about this show last night since Face Off wasn't on before it. I did manage to catch the last 30 minutes, though. They mentioned at the end of the show that it's moving to a new time.

I kind of thought the lily pad creature would win instead of Melissa's.

I noticed that the faces of a lot of the creatures had the same look. I don't know if that was coincidental or if there was something in the instructions that they had to have that type of look. Honestly, I wasn't blown away by any of the creatures this week. They were just ok.
    I felt the same way - the water lily monster was creative, cute and felt like it was a whole character. Did like Melissa's too, but Roland's (I think that's his name) really was the better of the two in an overall character. Will agree though, she did do a good job on the grass layout, though I do think like the judges the critter needed something on the nose to add depth (and maybe a slightly different eye color to stand out).

Didn't like the bottom two looks and honestly felt the one who created the rock character should've been eliminated. He had to have been saved because he has had several wins and this may have been seen as a "fluke." That said, my opinion, he should've been sent home for having a face that looked almost EXACTLY like the Baby (not the grandmother so much but baby) from "Dinosaurs" and the rock not being part of the camouflage. At least the green flock monster tried to blend in with the environment. I think he may have been safe over rock guy had the flocked monster had some darker shades blended on the body.

The weird wood monster that was safe... seriously? He should've made the head look a bit more like a tree stump. That said the sculpt was good and deserved to at least be safe in this case.

The only two that really fulfilled the challenge were the top two, and they really were the two that looked best on film.

I couldn't believe that the rock character didn't get eliminated. He totally ignored the purpose of the challenge (he got as far as "hide", but not "hide in plain sight"). While the eliminated guy didn't do a great job of hiding in plain sight, at least he tried. (And this doesn't even acknowledge the whole "duplicate character" thing.)

It's the first time that I haven't agreed with the judges. But I do like seeing what these folks can do.

I watched this week and will say that all the designs were good. I do agree with who was eliminated, but they were all very good so it was the TINIEST of details (literally - I think the eyes are what got the guy eliminated sadly, and it was just a tiny needing contrast issue).

It was also nice to see that they did indeed use some of the creatures the designers designed in the actual teasers and commercials for the show. One of these was from Melissa, and it makes me hope that one other character that I saw in commercials - some sort of flat faced owl looking type with long shaggy hair - will appear as well.

I loved the little stories the designers made up for their characters, two even deciding to do a banter between their two aliens.

My favorite of the four was this one with a weird coconut with eyes and sideways teeth that opened up to a British acting alien. It was quite cute. I liked the overachiever's one as well with the neat larger character head and the inner one, but I don't think his outer character was that impressive compared to the last one of the four.

It is shaping up to be a great finale, and all these artists, even the eliminated ones, didn't do a horrible job on any of these creatures - as in a completely bad character (just details such as Lex's feet on the giant lizard). Shows that they have a lot of talent in this pool. I'm hoping this gets another season, but with SyFy who knows.

One more point - I did NOT realize that the hostess (Gigi Edgley) was Chiana on "Farscape" until this episode, but that was also when they showed her kissing Rigel in a still from that series.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast