+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Opposite Worlds on SyFy (Tuesdays 10/9 central and Wednesday) *spoilers*

Opposite Worlds on SyFy (Tuesdays 10/9 central and Wednesday) *spoilers*

Did anyone else watch the premier of Opposite Worlds on the SyFy Channel Tuesday?

I will list a couple of good and bad points:

Good:

1. I like the fact there are two different worlds, and the fact that the teams are not guaranteed to stay in each world for the whole experience (They must fight to have the best part of the house). They also have an lot more reality to them as far as what the future and past might have been like.

2. The divider between the two is also quite nice and lets folks see each side. It creates strategy, as you obviously can hear each other through the partitions.

3. I also like that no team is safe from elimination - one from each side must compete against each other in elimination.

Bad (one will be from tonight, rest for general analysis of the show):

1. I do think as far as food, the past is getting a *little* too little. They should have some protein available as well, not just veggies and bread (which BTW is one of the few unrealistic aspects of the era). That will overly weaken the team honestly.

2. I don't like that we choose who gets to choose who goes head to head in the elimination challenge. I think that we should choose the person from the past and future to compete, or at least have the two who are immune get to choose two folks for potential head-to-head battle. This will be abused I think, particularly with the current future team who could severely weaken this team again (more in a minute here).

3. Should this show go into a second season - do NOT put the poor contestants in nude barely opaque undergarments before they go to the future. I don't care if it's to simulate them being a "Creation of life and history" or something (they didn't explain the clothing bit), but seriously, it was embarrassing to watch (I felt for them.

And this is the personal gripe with tonight's:

4. I think the moment the future team intentionally hit a past player out of the safety zone (which BTW broke the guy's leg, and he's most likely out of the competition), the game was over, and the past team won. Either that or the player who intentionally hurt the other one be ejected or forced into the past for a period of at least two weeks - NO ability to move to the future room. It was uncalled for, brutal and harmful.

Overall, this is not a bad series, and I think it's better than "Big Brother" honestly, but I have a feeling it may be there only one season for whatever reason.

I do think if it makes another season they should have the past be different eras, as even say the 1940s you still had to deal with bomb shelters and rationing.

(Note, if there is a thread already for this, please feel free to move it there, and sorry for a double thread).
    nanaslbkp likes this.

Re: Opposite Worlds on SyFy (Tuesdays 10/9 central and Wednesday) *spoilers*

I got it going on DVR right now, so I'll take a look at it within the next day or two. Most of what you wrote about is stuff I can't say yea or nay on until I've seen it. I doubt the nude undergarments will bother me at all, but the thought of a contestant physically injuring another is something I can't support. I'll try to expand on this once I've watched it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Watched it last night and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. It seemed very poorly produced and messy, much like syfy has become across the board of late.

They spent so much time at the beginning just having each group squeal or moan at their surroundings without giving us much chance to learn about the participants. Then, that first contest seemed very badly designed resulting in two injuries, one of them a badly broken leg. I also think there is too much viewer participation in the results.

I agree with jadewarlock that it seems better than Big Brother, but for me almost anything is. I will watch tonight to see if it gets better, but I'm not expecting a whole lot.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I do agree that more should have been done as a consequence to the guy on the future team tackling and injuring the guy on the past team. I really thought that action would disqualify the future team and give the past team an automatic win. At the very least, the future guy should have been sat out of the challenge and automatically put up as one of the first people to play in the elimination challenge. At least they did give the point for that round to the past team.

Overall, I liked the show. I think it's a very interesting concept and while the execution of the show could stand being tweaked, I think it has potential!

I do agree that the past people had too little to begin with. They could have at least had access to more food and a waterfall type shower large enough for all of them to use at once. It will be difficult for the team in the past house to overcome the lack of heat, lack of food, etc, and that could hamper their ability in the challenges, particularly the more weeks they spend there. I hope that at some point, the teams may be forced to switch houses if the future team keeps beating the past team.

FORT Newbie

Too much talking in episode 2 with 3 minutes of competition at minute 53. Seemed to really be stretched out.

The host makes you appreciate Probst.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBooper View Post
    Too much talking in episode 2 with 3 minutes of competition at minute 53. Seemed to really be stretched out.

The host makes you appreciate Probst.
    I agree - they had at least two cut to commercials after promising to get to the challenge. If this is indeed a live episode (and I think it was) they had a lot of technical errors they will have to work on quickly.

As far as the elimination challenge - I like the fact they do make it as equal as they can be in this type of competition.

I do like who they chose as favorite and least favorite this week, and chose the more punishing of the two for the lowest score (I he is the one who pulled the stunt in the challenge on the past team)* and it'll be interesting to see what happens next week with it.

Also, I was glad they had the conclusion/proper farewell for the injured player. I hate he was eliminated in such a foul way though. There's leaving due to injury and leaving due to a player's bad choice. I don't blame the past team one bit for their anger/disappointment toward the future team.

It'll be interesting for the two new players next week. I wonder if they're going to split the genders here or if there is a chance we'll have two of the same gender (they don't specify).

* I know they have team names - Epoch (past) and Chronos (future) but I sometimes get confused. Plus... for some weird reason Epoch combined with their unfortunate uniforms for challenges just make me rather use past and present. (Come to think of it - BOTH colors in the unitard version just really irritate me and give me the wrong terms for them).

One other complaint - the future isn't THAT sterile - they need to give the future team some more colors to wear. Heck, even low budget "Space: 1999" their first season way back when had some color in the uniform.

This show is NATO for me so far, No Action, Talk Only. It was more than half an hour before they even revealed who the "decider" would be. Up until then, it was all the host telling us what they were going to do.

Additionally, I think the challenges we've seen so far present more than an acceptable amount of danger to the participants. We saw two injuries in the first episode, and I was really concerned about the risk of hypothermia in the elimination challenge. The one who lost seemed to be a bit more than just uncomfortable.
    nanaslbkp likes this.

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Frank sure likes the 'nude undergarments'. I hope they come up with a mental challenge....there will be a few 'fails'....and Frank might be one. I appreciate and respect him for putting himself out as a firefighter, but, when he expounded on wanting to be "the biggest guy" at the gym, that just turned me off. I'd rather have a strong AND smart man on my team.
    As far as the injuries, these contestants were not thrown into this blindly, they knew there would be risks. If I am in combat on top of a 10 foot platform...I would expect to be hurt or hurt someone else. They knew the rules.
    I just want to say how happy I am that Luke is the host...loved him on "Capture" and can't wait for next season.
    The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.

Siiighhh.... here goes...

I really wish they wouldn't use the word "decider". There's NO SUCH THING as a "decider". It's just a word that Bush stumbled out because he couldn't think of another word that's synonymous with "decision maker". On this show this is going to annoy me just as "amazing" annoys me on The Bachelor/Bachelorette. There! I got that out of my system! But my left eye will still twitch when I hear that word!

The guy that got his leg broken. I'm sorry that it happened but, I do not believe that it was a dirty play. They really didn't tell us, the viewers, the rules on what not to do. Because that Aussie Guy (don't know his name) didn't call the move, I'd assume it was good. Bad outcome but, good. I was thinking that since Military Guy (Epoch guy) was a heavily decorated soldier and bragged about his physical abilities, he would be "ready" for battle/play/physical demands. Just like what Slickback, the guy who he played against thought, I figured he would've put up some resistance and we'd really see two gladiators going for it. Military Guy basically pulled one of my moves: freeze up and fall on my face! The only difference is that I would've screamed like a howler monkey! I can bet that Slickback feels horrible about the other guy's leg. C'mon, folks, let's give the guy a break! Er... well, you know what I mean!

The Chronos guy, Jeffrey I think his name is, must be really stupid or he thinks America is stupid. I guess he forgot that we can see what he's doing with the Epoch guy? Oh how hard was praying that someone from Chronos side would've peeked over to see him lobbing food to Mr. Popularity "JR". And I don't get the point of him mocking JR and Rockhead (I don't know his name but he's a lil' ish-starter!) while they were eating.

And you all KNOW VERY WELL that the newest lil Epocher DID NOT want be sleeping on rocks and sticks and mud.

Oh, and shouldn't cavemen be fishing and hunting and such? I didn't catch how they're getting food.

When it rains will their shelter leak as if they're on Survivor?
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Oh, and I simply LOVE the clothes Chronos wears! Well, not the invisible clothing!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast