+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Opposite Worlds on SyFy (Tuesdays 10/9 central and Wednesday) *spoilers*

Re: Opposite Worlds on SyFy (Tuesdays 10/9 central and Wednesday) *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I like Jeffry, I like Angela, and I like Steve (who reminds me a bit of Cochran) so far. Mercy shares her first name with one of my favorite people I've ever known, and I don't know many people with that name, so I like hearing it.

I don't get why Jeffry came in last in the first week's vote, other than how he talks and looks, which might turn America off for some reason.

I don't actually dislike anyone so far. Some people I don't remember saying anything, like Samm, and Jesse's already apologized for what happened in the first challenge.

Wyatt was a bit of a jerk so I didn't care to see him go.
    I guess a lot of this is still lost on me other than it's a cross between Survivor and Big Brother. The "scientific" aspect that the Aussie scientist (Luke somethingorother) emphasized is also lost on me. The show really isn't breaking any new ground other than "how cool is the Chronos camp??"

Other than living as cavemen, I really don't see what is extraordinarily appealing about Epoch. Other than possible pity, why is "America" voting for them as favorites? As a group, Chronos seem more like the kind of people I could hang with. Dunno.. I could change my mind later...

And I don't understand this whole one person from each team talking/probing the other team. They're supposed to find out team strengths and weaknesses and other dirty lil secrets about the other team IN FRONT OF EVERYONE???

I don't have a problem with Futureworld versus Stone Age but, I'm at a complete loss about how this show can be improved.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Why do people hate Jeffry?

I don't like the public making judgements like they always do. But then again it's probably the show's fault for letting it be that way.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.

Jeffry and JR's alliance has been found out, I think...

Okay... why would they take out Jeffry and JR to interview? And no one knows that they're not in their respective houses?

Siiiiigggghhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Surprised they've brought back Telly (he's a maroonish monster with orange nose and pointed head).

That said, I agree on "decider" - it sounds stupid quite honestly. Why not "Time Controller" or something that shows they get to choose from the past and future to come to the present and play a game?
    I love Telly!

I think they should call The Decider (so RIDICULOUS) the Time Controller as well. When he first said Decider I didn't know what the decision was and aren't decisions constantly made by everyone???

And what's this so-called social experiment? Is it a different experiment than Survivor or Big Brother or even Mad Mad House?

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze View Post
    Other than living as cavemen, I really don't see what is extraordinarily appealing about Epoch. Other than possible pity, why is "America" voting for them as favorites? As a group, Chronos seem more like the kind of people I could hang with. Dunno.. I could change my mind later...
    I think people vote for Epoch because they sympathize with them having to be cold, tired and a few other things while the others in Chronos flaunt their wealth. Personally, there are players in BOTH groups whom I'd talk to and work with, such as the girl who was eliminated tonight on Epoch and the first leader on Chronos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze View Post
    And what's this so-called social experiment? Is it a different experiment than Survivor or Big Brother or even Mad Mad House?
    Honestly, I'm like you there - except for the haves vs. have not belief... but here it's feeling so rigged it's not even that feeling I think.

When I read the words social experiment, I'd think of "Frontier House," "Manor House," "1940s House" - all three having a family or people taken out of present day and put in houses in the past in certain positions (high and low in Manor House) or just trying to survive in those periods without present day luxuries. I think this show would've done better if it has these in consideration - even in the future technology can break down and the like, so they could have the group experience for them what is a bit primative in comparison (present day).

Personally, I love the concept of this show... HOWEVER I'm about to give up on it. My issues, which stem from tonight:

1. They should NOT allow opposite sexes to battle head-to-head in the elimination challenges. Now, admittedly the girl WAS stupid to be the chased person (because if you're going on agility, Frank would've had a harder time because while light on his feet, would be slightly slower), but it was obviously going to be mismatched.

2. They are not doing these challenges logically - this tag challenge really should've been a best two out of three, with each of them swapping once THEN the coin toss.

3. Seriously... Epoch is never going to win this, and they're getting "Chronos'd" - this show's version of "Pagong." Losing this week's challenge - a teamwork and vocal skills won, really showed it. They're going to have trouble with strength or endurance challenges because they're not well fed (seriously one rabbit for the five of them?) and honestly, I still think they were cheated because Chronos broke a rule in the first challenge, causing the loss of an Epoch player, and then when the new game players came in, they went in even instead of 6-7 (as they each were going to have one more player), so this really should be 6-5 not 6-4.

4. There's NO WAY a team in the future will give it up if they win it, and given the food and other disadvantages, the past team will have a harder if not impossible time to move over either. I have a feeling that when they're down to a smaller number, they will all be in one house, but even there it's no guarantee.

Personally, I think they should FORCE a flipping of the houses this upcoming week because that's three weeks in a row that Chronos has been there and this is supposedly a six-week challenge.

I doubt this will get a second season, and honestly, unless there is a MASSIVE change in how they handle this, it shouldn't.

Makes me appreciate "Face-Off" and how they handle the challenges and judging and reduce the lack of drama to the obvious issues (make-up worries, issues with the molds, etc. - REAL reasons for drama). And, I'm looking forward to the Jim Henson Studio competition even more than I do watching Opposite Worlds now.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 02-06-2014 at 01:11 AM.
    Kocky_Kamikaze and Florimel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Why do people hate Jeffry?

I don't like the public making judgements like they always do. But then again it's probably the show's fault for letting it be that way.
    I honestly don't know - I personally don't like Frank more. He's a dominate player yes, but his arrogance is a little too much even when warranted. But I think people don't like Jeffry because he reads slimy, irritating, and a few other things. IF he also was the one who caused the injury and subsequent removal of Charles (the guy with the broken leg) I think that may factor in because that one stupid decision to break the rules was NOT in most people's (including mine) handled correctly - I feel that if someone caused severe injury like that they should be removed from the game permanently. Given he has a -100 in the popularity meter, that would explain a lot - folks won't forgive him for it.

(BTW in contrast Samm this past week had a +32, so this shows how the show isn't quite as popular regardless.)
    mom2 likes this.

jadewarlock, I loved the shows you mentioned above. They truly were experiments at learning to live in an environment and time frame that was completely foreign to them. I don't think I ever missed an episode in any of them.

I haven't liked this show from its first episode and I admittedly don't watch much. I'll just pop over to my dvr during commercials. It's a completely uneven playing field. They might have made it a bit more interesting if they had the teams exchange environments each week. There is also too much of the host telling us over and over what we are going to see rather than just letting us see it. I abhor what Syfy has become and this show is forcing me further away from a genre I love.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    jadewarlock, I loved the shows you mentioned above. They truly were experiments at learning to live in an environment and time frame that was completely foreign to them. I don't think I ever missed an episode in any of them.
    My favorite of all of them honestly was the 1940s House. They did have it probably the easiest of the lot as far as house and facilities (most modern) but they did deal with a lot of the psychological aspects of the era, and rationing, which really affected the mom because she wanted her sons to not have to go through so little to eat.

I haven't liked this show from its first episode and I admittedly don't watch much. I'll just pop over to my dvr during commercials. It's a completely uneven playing field. They might have made it a bit more interesting if they had the teams exchange environments each week. There is also too much of the host telling us over and over what we are going to see rather than just letting us see it. I abhor what Syfy has become and this show is forcing me further away from a genre I love.
    I think what they SHOULD have done is have all of them live in one era all the time, and then have challenges where the players could time travel to the future for a reward and stay there UNTIL the elimination challenge (then a subsequent room challenge). BUT... all the players play individually each time to see where they will end up.

Example - say there are 12 contestants. They all play as individuals in the worldly challenge, and the top 6 get the week of luxury while the other six live in the primitive past. No teams - just individuals. We the people get to vote who goes into the "key of destiny" challenge - not the teams. They can do a stipulation that if it needs to be equal build/skills (meaning both men or both women) they can say as much, but other cases it's the bottom two. They could still have an immunity of sorts for each era, but the draw bases them on the present.

Once that destiny challenge is over, they all again compete for the worldly challenge where the top 5-6 (out of 11 it'd be up to them) get to go to the future. People can repeat wins, but it's not a guaranteed they will stay unlike here where one person chooses for the whole team.

I think THIS is where they messed up - automatically splitting them up into two worlds, where it's clear the Epoch team has little chance of making it to the future and have to hope Chronos sympathizes with them and flips to the past... but we know that's unlikely.

And yes, like the host, but far FAR less chatter. My idea is plausible if they did that.
    Kocky_Kamikaze and Florimel like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast