+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree780Likes

Thread: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

Re: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

Tim Gunn, my latest fallen hero. Lol. I don't know what to think anymore. I wonder if the fact they are getting older themselves makes them poor judges. I did not find anything amiss or overly "mature" about Oscar's clothing, it was straight up classy. Maybe it was not the latest thing a 17 year old pop star would wear onstage, but I thought he really met the brief especially with the green gown. She looked stunning. His gown was perfect. It was not overly anything, it was just beautiful. Ageless. And Oscar was such a nice person, so kind and funny too. I wonder how anybody could dislike him.

Tim Gunn's head has apparently grown so large that his brain, poor tiny thing, is banging around in there against the sides every time he moves or speaks. He needs to get a grip. I have been rough on Heidi for her judging at times, but she was dead on the money here, and just in time, along with NPH. I doubt she will retain the ability to make great decisions once PR resumes, since I fear she too is fighting her own age.

It's such a shame there was any talk by Tim that was negative in any way, because Oscar deserved a good clean win on a good clean show, and it was not that. It got turned ugly and that's sad. But I find myself smiling when I think of Natalya helping Oscar create his winning collection.

I sincerely wish the best for both of them.
    Kip, Florimel, Arielflies and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    Tim Gunn, my latest fallen hero. Lol. I don't know what to think anymore. I wonder if the fact they are getting older themselves makes them poor judges. I did not find anything amiss or overly "mature" about Oscar's clothing, it was straight up classy. Maybe it was not the latest thing a 17 year old pop star would wear onstage, but I thought he really met the brief especially with the green gown. She looked stunning. His gown was perfect. It was not overly anything, it was just beautiful. Ageless. And Oscar was such a nice person, so kind and funny too. I wonder how anybody could dislike him.
    Maybe jealousy that for the most part whatever he produces is stunning to look at, even with the "mature" label? His execution of the designs was flawless, and people at times thought "how did he do that?"

He also can do millinery (hat making), and other techniques that will expand his reach (not unlike Mondo with the designs he's made on phone cases).

There is one other thing - he was part of the renegade group, the "dregs" that Nick got. By all written accounts, Nick should've been eliminated long before the finale, which meant that a Bravo contestant again is seen as "weak" compared to the Lifetime ones. (Sorry, I just cannot see why Lifetime brings them to the network, they produce better designs even with the much shorter deadlines, and yet they lose to subpar designers such as IMHO Anthony Ryan.)

But Oscar proved them wrong, and Tim just hated that the "renegade" won the whole shebang.

Tim Gunn's head has apparently grown so large that his brain, poor tiny thing, is banging around in there against the sides every time he moves or speaks. He needs to get a grip. I have been rough on Heidi for her judging at times, but she was dead on the money here, and just in time, along with NPH. I doubt she will retain the ability to make great decisions once PR resumes, since I fear she too is fighting her own age.
    Heidi's IMHO gotten better, but she still has her issues, such as the MC Hammer pant shorts (aka poopy pants) that were made a couple of seasons ago. I think she remembered when Dimitry won for doing similar designs such as Oscar, and how stunning she looked in Dimitry's outfits. She could see herself wearing Oscar's outfits and still look young but classier than she has in some of her more recent outfits.

I think too this is a wakeup call for her in seeing what fashion truly is - I won't say that I'm positive about that (after all, Miss "Pants" designer made them the season after Dimitry's win), but she's doing better.

It's such a shame there was any talk by Tim that was negative in any way, because Oscar deserved a good clean win on a good clean show, and it was not that. It got turned ugly and that's sad. But I find myself smiling when I think of Natalya helping Oscar create his winning collection.

I sincerely wish the best for both of them.
    Me too - not only because I want the winners to always succeed (as well as the other designers), but because it will PROVE that the right winner was chosen.
    Florimel, jucamer and Photobabe like this.

FORT Fanatic

I am just now watching the finale, it got lost in my DVR queue. I thought Asha's collection was just in poor taste. Too gaudy. I felt bad or Shann. I loved most of the things he did all season long, but he really screwed up the collection. His mentor failed to give him guidance at the one time it mattered. I liked Oscar's and Sam's collections. I would wear 4 of Sam's 5 looks, all but the first. In fact, I loved his patterned fabric. After the runway show, I felt sure Oscar would win. The judges felt like Sam's looks were "too ready to wear" which made me like him all the more. I would have been happy with either one winning, but glad that Mondo did not get the win.

I will be curious to see if there is a season two.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I'm not interested in a season two at all. I was really disappointed with this show and I thought the fashion, in general, was extremely poor. And as far as the personalitites go, I found that the only way I could stand watching the show at all, was to TIVO it, and fast-forward to the last 20 minutes, just to see the fashion. And even then, because I found that the clothes to be so uninspiriring, half the time I didn't even stay tuned to see who won or lost because I didn't even care. And to make matters worse, to hear all this about Tim being so harsh or difficult --- that really makes me sad and disappointed.
    AZChristian and Babbred like this.

FORT Fogey

On Oscar's facebook site, there are some sweet photos of Natalya visiting his studio in Florida, going out with him to his favorite Cuban restaurant etc. Apparently they have developed a genuine friendship as a result of being on the show. Perhaps the fact that they were on Nick's "underdog" team together helped as well.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I'm not interested in a season two at all. I was really disappointed with this show and I thought the fashion, in general, was extremely poor. And as far as the personalitites go, I found that the only way I could stand watching the show at all, was to TIVO it, and fast-forward to the last 20 minutes, just to see the fashion. And even then, because I found that the clothes to be so uninspiriring, half the time I didn't even stay tuned to see who won or lost because I didn't even care. And to make matters worse, to hear all this about Tim being so harsh or difficult --- that really makes me sad and disappointed.
    I don't think the mentoring or team aspects of the show worked well at all, and sometimes the rules seemed rather odd. For instance, there was criticism of Oscar for keeping a look in his runway show that he'd just done in a competition, yet for Project Runway, when the contestants are given considerably more time to come up with a final collection, there's no criticism for doing that. In fact, some seasons, it's been an actual requirement to keep a previously constructed garment in the show. Didn't really care for the judges either, though I thought NPH was an excellent guest judge for the finale.

I often didn't watch the whole show either, partially due to a scheduling conflict (I often wasn't home when for the first run, and I'd be asleep by the time the second show finished) and partially because it just wasn't all that interesting to me. I'd watch the fashion show at the end and that was about it. It didn't help that so many people seemed to get so hateful. Maybe that's why I liked Oscar and Shan. They generally tried to stay above the fray. Natalya, too, for all the flak she took, tried not to get dragged down to anyone else's level, though I do wish she'd not pretty much announced that it was okay with her if they sent her home instead of Asha, though perhaps at that point, she was so worn out and so convinced (probably rightly) that she had no shot at winning anyway, given the situation, that she actually preferred to go home.
    lilymax likes this.

I read an interview where Oscar had a nice comment about Tim Gunn:

Miami Designer Ozcar Garcia-Lopez Opens Up About Winning Under the Gunn | Miami New Times

"Tell me how it was like working with Mr. Make-it-work, Tim Gunn.
    The first time I saw him, I couldn't believe it. Here with Tim Gunn -- a fashion beacon. He gives the best critiques without humiliating. He was very proper. Behind the camera, he would always come up to me and say, "How do you do that?" about my pieces. He loved to see the seams inside of my pieces and would say to me in amazement, "This is hand-stitched?" And I never went to school for sewing and design."

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I read an interview where Oscar had a nice comment about Tim Gunn:

Miami Designer Ozcar Garcia-Lopez Opens Up About Winning Under the Gunn | Miami New Times

"Tell me how it was like working with Mr. Make-it-work, Tim Gunn.
    The first time I saw him, I couldn't believe it. Here with Tim Gunn -- a fashion beacon. He gives the best critiques without humiliating. He was very proper. Behind the camera, he would always come up to me and say, "How do you do that?" about my pieces. He loved to see the seams inside of my pieces and would say to me in amazement, "This is hand-stitched?" And I never went to school for sewing and design."
    Oscar is just plain class. Even when asked about Tim, who did criticize him, he has only compliments. Just class….

FORT Fogey

He really does seem like a genuinely good guy. I still remember Shan's shock when he told the judges that the bonus money for winning should go to Shan, because he had a family to support.

Perhaps his difficult past has made him more grateful for what he's received or maybe that's just his natural personality, but I wager that it's going to help him out in the future, because he's given himself a huge boost of positive publicity, just by the way he's reacted to everything that occurred on the show and what's happened since. Yes, he tailors and sews very well, but the fact that he also comes across as easy to work with and a generally decent person is going to give him that added bonus when it comes to customers, because who wouldn't rather work with someone, or support someone monetarily, who seems to be a good guy?

If for some reason UTG is renewed, there needs to be new mentors, except for Nick, and new judges, who understand that judging actually means making decisions, not passing the buck. NPH would be an awesome judge, but unlikely to commit to it.
    wannasee likes this.

+ Reply to Thread