+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree780Likes

Thread: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

Re: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

I'm surprised there are no comments here yet. I just watched it on line and found it somewhat entertaining. the contestants were divided into 2 groups. This week the first group had six hours to design a look using identical preselected fabrics. Each mentor was given the opportunity to take turns and choose a designer they wanted for their team. If more than one mentor picked the same designer then the designer got to choose who they wanted. Out of the 2 groups of designers 3 will go home after the team selection process. So far, Mondo and Nick have picked 2 designers for their team and Anya has picked 3. They will end up with 4 designers on each team after next weeks show.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I watched and enjoyed it, too, and am looking forward to seeing more. I think the only thing I had a problem with was that the mentors had to select their designers from group 1 before seeing any from group 2. That left them with the choice of having to save room for some from next week's show, which can be a problem if they don't find any they like better. Or, they chose designer they have not have picked after seeing the others. I wish they had waited until after both groups appeared before selecting their teams.

I do plan to continue watching.
    tinderbox, wannasee and Photobabe like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I enjoyed it too, although I came into it with low expectations. Tim was on The Daily Show earlier this week and explained that the reason this show exists is that Lifetime wanted another season of PR right away, but Heidi wasn't available, and she and Tim have a pact that neither of them does a season of PR without the other. (Aww...cute, right?) So they came up with this spinoff idea on the fly.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I thought it was kind of slow. I'll keep watching though.

I very much liked the challenge of all having the same materials to work with.

Like Florimel, I didn't like the mentors having to choose team members before seeing everyone's work.

So, basically, it's The Voice with fashion designers.....with a little Survivor thrown in

I wasn't bowled over by the first episode, but I'll keep watching just because of Nick and Tim.

I'm surprised anyone could create a wearable and fashionable garment in that short an amount of time. I was glad the judges seemed to take portfolios into account as well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Not sure yet...need to give it some time.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I thought the first episode was rather boring. Seemed to take forever to get to the designs and the choosing of teams.

I will stick with it tho' as a fan of Tim Gunn.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

I agree that it seems a little ridiculous that they have no idea what the other half of the designers can do before at least one designer was sent home. What if there are multiple worse designers in the second group than the one who was sent home. I also thought the women who basically sobbed her way onto a team had an unfair advantage. Once a designer is turned down, that should be it. Team leaders shouldn't be influenced by a sob story to take a second look at someone.

I also can't figure out why no one wants to be on Nick's team. I realize the other two won, but Nick has designed for a number of celebrities, and he's also taught for several years. Maybe I'm just prejudiced in favor of teachers, but if he's been a reasonably successful teacher on top of being a designer himself, he ought to be able to help a mentee work through a problem, if necessary, because he'd have experience in doing so. I don't know that the other two have that experience. On top of that, because he has designed for celebrities and appeared on several shows, Nick might have valuable contacts for new designers that the other two haven't had the chance to develop yet.
    ladygreco likes this.

FORT Fogey

Oh, and this has nothing to do with the actual episode, but every time I hear the title Under the Gunn, I flash back to those stories Santino made up about Tim and Andre at the Red Lobster, and I get the giggles from wondering how often Andre might have been "under the Gunn" (if only in Santino's imagination). Tim asking Santino about those stories remains one of my favorite PR memories, and in general, that season is a great favorite of mine.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't know what kind of pick Natalia(?) was. She may be regrettable. They succumbed to what looked like instability and tears. I guess time will tell!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread