+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree780Likes

Thread: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

After reading the comments here, I didn't even bother to watch the show. I am so saddened by how Mondo seems to have changed. Anyone who claims to have been bullied (as he has) should NOT be treating people that way. I've always adored Nick . . . he is a bit of a mother hen, but he's trying to dial that back. HE is more likely to be the next Tim Gunn of the fashion world than Mondo or Anya.
    Miss_Griss, Kip, GabbyG and 4 others like this.

FORT Fogey

I can't stand Asha or Mondo or Anya at this point. Did anyone else notice that when Tim said it was Natalya going home, there was a quick shot of Asha and for a brief moment, she couldn't suppress a smirk? I have no problem with her being relieved that she wasn't home, but after Natalya said that Asha should stay because she knew how much the competition meant to her, Asha could at least have had the good grace to be thankful she didn't let the judges know just what a joy Asha was as a partner. She behaved with class throughout being treated like a piece of crap by the other designers not on her team and the other mentors, though I did like the fact that last night Sam said that she had grown more than anyone else and perhaps they'd been unfair. I believe Shan also tried to offer her some encouragement, and of course, Oscar wasn't among those attacking her.

And yeah, Oscar was also unbelievably gracious last night and Shan--unlike Asha--was genuinely gracious and grateful in return. I'm glad they both got the win, particularly since Shan said, after Oscar said the money should go to him for his kids, that he was going to suggest they should just split it. Their styles are very different, but they were grown up enough to figure out a way to work together almost immediately. Asha just totally bullied Natalya, who knew that if she spoke up, Asha was never going to listen anyway and it would just make the situation worse. As she said, it didn't take her long to figure out that no matter what question she asked, Asha's answer was going to be "no."

Finally, I completely agree that Asha's dashiki was all kinds of ugly. Really, it wasn't a dashiki at all. It was a lace tablecloth with a hole cut in the top of it with some random, tacky trim thrown at it. It sort of reminded me of what a seven year old would "design" for a troll doll.
    NCLurker, Kip, GabbyG and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    After reading the comments here, I didn't even bother to watch the show. I am so saddened by how Mondo seems to have changed. Anyone who claims to have been bullied (as he has) should NOT be treating people that way. I've always adored Nick . . . he is a bit of a mother hen, but he's trying to dial that back. HE is more likely to be the next Tim Gunn of the fashion world than Mondo or Anya.
    I had a very similar thought after watching the show last night. One of the things that was so endearing about Mondo in his season is that he was a bit timid. He had a strong point of view, but he was also still developing as a designer and was worried about the opinions of others. I liked that he expressed his personal style in spite of the fact that he knew people would judge him for it. What happened? How did he become so mean and judgmental!?

The thing that frustrated me the most about Natalia basically taking herself out of the competition is that I just don't think Asha "gets it" at all. Asha thinks Natalia made the right choice to leave because Natalia's an inferior designer and that Asha is the one that belongs there. Nothing could be further from the truth. However, I do like the idea that when Asha goes, she will have no one to blame but herself. IMO, she has NO chance of winning this competition. Oscar and Shan are miles ahead of her in both creativity and execution.

I was glad they included Sam's comment about Natalia having the most growth among the designers. It was nice to hear someone make a positive comment about her!!
    Kip, GabbyG, tinderbox and 5 others like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

At the beginning of this show, I had no idea who Nick was. I didn't remember him at all. I had to google him to see what season he was on, and I still didn't remember him. During the contestant selection phase, he was funny and articulate and I liked him. Then there was his over-the-top too-hands-on mentoring phase. But under Tim's tutelage, he learned to pull back and has really grown. I've become a fan.

On the other hand, I started out feeling positive about Mondo and Anya and now dislike both of them. It's ironic that Anya is faulting Natalya for her construction skills when she herself was weak on construction in her season. In Anya's season, some people were unhappy with some of her wins because of her poor construction skills, but I agreed with the judges that design trumps construction. So she seems especially mean to me for calling Natalya out on this.

Well, since Mondo and Anya and the other designers think construction is the be-all, end-all, I guess that means that Oscar should win. And I hope he does.

This was the 1st episode of the show I watched live & in full. WOW! I always thought of mentors as teachers. For another mentor to talk so horribly about another mentor's designer is just plain wrong. Talk about being a bully from a designer who openly wept on PR about being bullied.
    This will be the last show I watch. I love Tim but this can not be tolerated. I am really surprised & disappointed that Tim did not intervene on Natalia & Nick's behalf. Yes I agree that Nick will be the Tim Gunn of the future. IIRC isn't he already an instructor at FIT?
    Okay trying my best to not be catty here but that white top thingy looked like it was one of my Mom's tablecloths. Don't get me started on the trim.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    This was the 1st episode of the show I watched live & in full. WOW! I always thought of mentors as teachers. For another mentor to talk so horribly about another mentor's designer is just plain wrong. Talk about being a bully from a designer who openly wept on PR about being bullied.

It's even worse than that. Remember that horrible season of PR when Wretchen and Hivy bullied poor Michael C? Midway through, he was paired with Mondo for a challenge. Mondo went into it negatively, just like Asha. However, by the end, he said that Michael was a nice guy and could sew well. He admitted that once he actually got to know Michael he changed his mind. Talk about the height of hypocrisy!

This will be the last show I watch. I love Tim but this can not be tolerated. I am really surprised & disappointed that Tim did not intervene on Natalia & Nick's behalf. Yes I agree that Nick will be the Tim Gunn of the future. IIRC isn't he already an instructor at FIT?
    Okay trying my best to not be catty here but that white top thingy looked like it was one of my Mom's tablecloths. Don't get me started on the trim.

I'll watch, but only for Oscar's and Shan's lovely designs. In fact, I'm going to FF to the runway.

If Asha makes it to the final by some miracle, then I'm not watching it. Will this show have 3 designers in the final like PR? If so, there's two more chances for the judges to get rid of Asha. I can't wait for Mondo's final ITM about her. He'll probably say that she was the Van Gogh of fashion--a misunderstood genius.

I was also disappointed that Tim didn't speak up. Remember when Tim actually came out from backstage to defend a bullied designer? Who was that?

At the beginning of this show, I had no idea who Nick was. I didn't remember him at all. I had to google him to see what season he was on, and I still didn't remember him. During the contestant selection phase, he was funny and articulate and I liked him. Then there was his over-the-top too-hands-on mentoring phase. But under Tim's tutelage, he learned to pull back and has really grown. I've become a fan.

On the other hand, I started out feeling positive about Mondo and Anya and now dislike both of them. It's ironic that Anya is faulting Natalya for her construction skills when she herself was weak on construction in her season. In Anya's season, some people were unhappy with some of her wins because of her poor construction skills, but I agreed with the judges that design trumps construction. So she seems especially mean to me for calling Natalya out on this.

I remembered Nick, but otherwise I agree with all of the above. And yes, Anya was the Natalya of her season. The other designers were going nuts about how the judges kept praising Anya, when all they saw was her lousy construction. I rooted for Anya during that season because through it all, she remained sweet and just concentrated on producing lovely garments. Again, talk about the height of hypocrisy! All I can think is that their post-show fame plus having these new designers worship them must have given her and Mondo some seriously inflated egos. That's sad.

And finally, I'll ask my perennial question. Do these contestants truly forget that there are cameras recording all this? Do they truly not think about how this will all look when America views it? And what that will do to their lives/careers?
    Kip, GabbyG, ladygreco and 1 others like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I'd like to know just exactly who Asha thinks she is. You're just a contestant on a reality show, Asha, and not among the best of them. Concentrate on your own work and not on the perceived faults of the others. I'd certainly never buy from anyone who behaves as your do even if I like your designs.

I was never as gung ho on Mondo as some other here were, but I did have a little respect for him. That's gone now. He sounds like he's read too much of his own publicity. I think we've seen too much of him and it's gone to his head.

Anya has really disappointed me. I liked her very much on the season she won and I though she was bullied by many of her fellow contestants. You'd think she'd remember that now.

I didn't care much for Nick when this show started, mostly because I thought he was another one who believed too much of his own publicity. There are still things I don't much like, but he has become the most gracious and thoughtful of the mentors. He has taken advice from Tim and has grown as a mentor, IMO.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    And finally, I'll ask my perennial question. Do these contestants truly forget that there are cameras recording all this? Do they truly not think about how this will all look when America views it? And what that will do to their lives/careers?
    At reunion episodes for so many reality shows, a lot of contestants seem to say "you forget about the cameras after a while..." although I wonder just how true that is. But behind the cameras, the producers are always there, trying to ramp up the drama anywhere they can, by asking leading questions in interviews and putting ideas in the contestants heads that set them off...

But I'm not defending or excusing the contestants for any bad behavior they show -- that's definitely their choice to make.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    At reunion episodes for so many reality shows, a lot of contestants seem to say "you forget about the cameras after a while..." although I wonder just how true that is. But behind the cameras, the producers are always there, trying to ramp up the drama anywhere they can, by asking leading questions in interviews and putting ideas in the contestants heads that set them off...

But I'm not defending or excusing the contestants for any bad behavior they show -- that's definitely their choice to make.
    I believe that they'd forget about the cameras as far as filming their work and social conversations... it makes sense.

But these private ones... I have to go "You're trying to excuse your behavior."

Why?

Anyone would hopefully know - at least after the first time a show is filmed and aired, your private conversations are going to be aired on TV and people are going to see your dirty laundry.

Therefore, I have ZERO sympathy for folks who say that they didn't mean what they said in the private interviews or try to apologize for them. While comments said in the workroom can be apologized for (i.e. contest stress), these PI's are being done to get a response and if you're not careful you will end up looking bad, not the person you diss.

And if you are that gullible to listen to a producer and throw away your morals or your attitude to gain points (real or probable), you get what you sow.

ugh. so disappointed ugly asha is still there. i hope she leaves soon, i can't stand to look at her. poor natalya. i wish she had been a bit of a stronger personality, and told asha how the cow ate the cabbage. but she showed grace, which asha probably can't even spell.

i like oscar and i hope he wins. i hope asha is long gone and nowhere to be seen in the final. she's only really done a couple of things that were decent. the rest was crap.

i'm not totally sure i will watch because i really dislike anya and mondo now.
    Miss_Griss, Kip, ladygreco and 3 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread