+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree780Likes

Thread: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

FORT Fogey

Re: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    If the designers are smart, they won't say anything bad about any of the mentors as they are people who could help or hurt them in their design careers.
    Yeah, I'd think they'd stick to saying what they could that was nice about their own mentors and simply say that they hadn't worked with the other two much, if at all, and thus really felt those who had would have a better idea about what they were like. In other words, tell the truth but not the unvarnished truth, because that's not going to help them in the long run.

I couldn't believe how rude the designers were to Natalia. Inexcusable!
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

To the Point

I've been surprised by how nasty Mondo and Anya have been. Not that I am a huge fan of either, but I just find it surprising. Nick has improved greatly in the way he is mentoring, but Mondo and Anya have their own issues. They came across as petulant children. And of all people, Anya has no business bringing construction into the conversation...

I bet Mondo and Anya could kick themselves for their unprofessional behavior. They made fools of themselves in front of Tim, the judges, and America. I hope we see Tim addressing the issue on next week's show.

I do believe the only judge that could hold their remarks against Mondo and Anya is the gal with the long curly hair. (sorry, I don't remember her name) I'm not saying she will but she seems like a woman you don't cross or question.

I think Asha should have been in the bottom two. Both her design and Michelle's were significantly worse than the others. I also think Asha knew her design was subpar and hid behind her dislike of Natalia to cover her true feelings. She was beyond relieved that she made it through to the next week.
    ladygreco likes this.

I couldn't believe Asha put out a design that made her rail thin model look pregnant.

Natalia got on the show by out right begging. She was one of the last, if not the last, to be picked and Nick was looking for someone to like him enough to choose him. I think I remember that they knew each other as she lives in North Hollywood and he in LA or thereabouts. Anyway, I've had no quarrel with her designs. They haven't wowed, but they haven't stunk up the place either. She admitted on the runway to having time issues, but stood by her design. I think I understand the editing focusing on the other designers bashing her and ostracizing her and it is because they couldn't ignore Anya and Mondo standing in revolt at the end of the runway.

The winning mentor gets a new car, a spread in Marie Claire and that commentor job Marie Claire offers now and then. I think Mondo has already held that position for a year after he won All Stars. Anyway, a lot (other than pride) is at stake for the mentors and, now that the numbers are dwindling, the claws have come out.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I still don't get all the hatred for Natalia. I just went back and looked at most of the Rate the Runway photos from previous episodes and Natasha's are usually in the top half of picks by the audience. Yes, she cries easily, but that is likely what she does when stressed. It might be a little annoying if you are in the same room with her, but is certainly no reason to hate her. Have I missed something? Is there some valid reason why no one seems to like her?
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Maybe they're jealous of the creativity of some of her ideas. I think one of the judges even mentioned last night that it's not just the execution . . . it's the creativity they're taking into account. That Steam Punk "roll-up" dress was amazing!

If you're jealous of someone who has more talent than you, it's easier to put them down than to try to raise your own abilities, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Maybe they're jealous of the creativity of some of her ideas. I think one of the judges even mentioned last night that it's not just the execution . . . it's the creativity they're taking into account. That Steam Punk "roll-up" dress was amazing!

If you're jealous of someone who has more talent than you, it's easier to put them down than to try to raise your own abilities, maybe.

I couldn't agree more and it's not only this show. If the contestants spent more time thinking about their own work and trying to improve and less time criticizing their opponents and pontificating about who deserves to be there, the show would be a lot more productive for them and a lot more entertaining for me.
    GabbyG and AZChristian like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I had forgotten that Natalya was the one who begged to stay on the show. Thanks for reminder. I can see where the other mentors might have been irritated by her, but that is extremely unprofessional to act like they did. The fashion world is filled with inflated egos, and these twits can't get along with somebody they don't like? I'm especially disappointed by Anya. She was so nice during her season and I seem to recall that the other designers looked down on her because of her lack of skill.

And for Pete's sake, Xania (?) Rossy, the editor of one of the major fashion glossies, the one with whom the winning mentor will have to work, sat there and watched Mondo and Anya act like petulant children. What in the heck were they thinking? Rossy may be too classy to let this influence her decisions on this show. However, if A or M end up working for her, I'll bet she could find ways to make them regret their behavior. I'm thinking Meryl Streep a la "Devil Wears Prada" here. That's especially true since Rossy is British. I've lived in England, and let me tell you, the English are the masters at insulting somebody.
    GabbyG and AZChristian like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I have to say I have been impressed by Nick. I wasn't his biggest fan at the start, although I felt sorry for him when everyone was picking Mondo or Anya as their mentors over him. However he didn't whine and moan about it or how he was left with the team no one else wanted.

He really over did his mentoring at the beginning, but he was willing to learn and I think it came from a place of really wanting to help. He always listened to what Tim had to say with an open mind and a mostly shut mouth and tried to follow the advice. He didn't display ego by thinking that he knew better than Tim or the other mentors how to mentor, but tried his best to improve. He seems very willing to take constructive criticism without taking offense and use it to better himself and his contestants. It's not easy to not get defensive when you're being criticized so I'm impressed by that.

I even thought he handled the whole confrontation with Anya and Mondo pretty well. I really disliked when Mondo tried to twist what Nick said into knots and throw it back at him, but Nick didn't turn hostile and angry. I have to say that whole confrontation really made me think less of Mondo, whose designs I love. Trying to talk to Anya and Mondo was like beating your head against the wall

+ Reply to Thread