+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree780Likes

Thread: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

FORT Fogey

Re: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I agree, unless one of the mentors still has three designers. I think this is wrong though because I think Mondo had three and now they're down to two as well.

I have to agree with Nick, and I hope they make sure he shows what he speaks to prove a point. Mondo got defensive because he knows that Nick was right... too bad he didn't catch on it completely before saying what he did to the judges. (Not only that, it could affect his business as well - people are that fickle that if they think Mondo was too rude to the judges and Tim they could stop shopping at his store).
    I hadn't thought about the fact that their behavior could reflect badly on their own business enterprises, but of course, it could. I would prefer not to patronize places operated by people who I felt were unduly rude to their co-workers/staff. But then, while I did want Mondo to win over Gretchen in his season, I really wouldn't buy any of his designs anyway, because they just wouldn't suit me.

What I do like about Nick is that he seems to care intensely about his team members succeeding, not because it reflects on him if they don't, but because he genuinely wants them to succeed for themselves. You could really see that with Natalya tonight, which may be why he was so hurt that Anya and Mondo started in on her when the judges liked her dress better than they liked the work of their team members. He was so proud of her and pleased that he helped her get there, but he didn't rub in in their faces--and then they had to go rain on his (and her) parade. Honestly, I wonder if part of it is that Nick got a number of his team members by default. When the mentees were picking their mentors, they typically went for Mondo and Anya, which should have given them the stronger teams, and yet, Nick and his team of supposed misfits have hung right in there with them. It's kind of like when he had his model swiped on his season and got the novel who was larger (she was all of a four or something like that) instead. He was disappointed, because he and his previous model had gotten close, but he put that aside and was so nice to his new model that she went out there and modeled like she never had before, because she wanted him to do well.
    Kip, GabbyG and ladygreco like this.

FORT Fogey

You know, I'm re-watching the fashion shows right now, because I'm not sleepy enough to go to bed, and it is pretty impressive that Natalya came up with a way to turn a cowl into a purse. Kind of like the steam punk challenge when she channeled her engineer parents and figured out how to make a skirt that could be raised and lowered via a mechanical device. By comparison, Oscar's reversible cape wasn't all that innovative (though I personally do love a cape). I also liked Shan's design, though his buyer would have to be pretty young. On the other hand, his description of his muse, so to speak, was a young woman in her twenties at her first big job, so his design would fit that market. I'd say they got the top three right.

However, I would have put Asha's design in the bottom two, because it wasn't constructed well, and both the day and night time looks were unflattering for her model. I honestly can't imagine who could wear that mess and look good in it.
    ladygreco and jucamer like this.

FORT Fogey

There must be a decent prize at the end for the mentor of the winning team for Mondo and Anya to get so upset.

Nick seems to be genuine in wanting to help (he is a teacher so this makes sense), but Mondo and Anya are so angry there has to be more to it. I'm sure they want their designers to be the best they can be too, but Mondo and Anya are definitely more competitive than Nick. Or so it seems to me.

I hope they do a post-show reunion a la Project Runway. I'd like to hear the designers' thoughts about the mentors.
    ladygreco likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    [snipped]
    ...I hope they do a post-show reunion a la Project Runway. I'd like to hear the designers' thoughts about the mentors.
    If the designers are smart, they won't say anything bad about any of the mentors as they are people who could help or hurt them in their design careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    What I do like about Nick is that he seems to care intensely about his team members succeeding, not because it reflects on him if they don't, but because he genuinely wants them to succeed for themselves. You could really see that with Natalya tonight, which may be why he was so hurt that Anya and Mondo started in on her when the judges liked her dress better than they liked the work of their team members. He was so proud of her and pleased that he helped her get there, but he didn't rub in in their faces--and then they had to go rain on his (and her) parade.
    I agree that he seems to genuinely want his designers to do well because it will be good for them. I think he was extra pleased with Natalia in this episode because she got HERSELF there. Turning the questions around to her rather than giving her suggestions really worked for her this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if part of it is that Nick got a number of his team members by default. When the mentees were picking their mentors, they typically went for Mondo and Anya, which should have given them the stronger teams, and yet, Nick and his team of supposed misfits have hung right in there with them. It's kind of like when he had his model swiped on his season and got the novel who was larger (she was all of a four or something like that) instead. He was disappointed, because he and his previous model had gotten close, but he put that aside and was so nice to his new model that she went out there and modeled like she never had before, because she wanted him to do well.
    I have had exactly the same thought. Mondo and Anya basically got their choices, so they expected to have the cream of the crop. That combined with the fact that they thought Nick was the "old fogie" of the group made them overconfident. Nick had every right to be proud of Natalia's progress this week and I thought it was really lame that Mondo and Anya were such poor losers!!
    ladygreco and jucamer like this.

Just my 2 cents here since I still haven't seen the last 3 weeks(desn't that tell you something) but isn't mentor a teacher so by my reasoning the mentor should be giving the designers teachable moments. Like I said I really havne't watched this show very much but Nick does do high end fashion.
    ladygreco likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fan

There is actually a double mentoring going on. Tim mentors the mentors while the mentors and Tim mentor the designers. Nick may have had more to learn about being a mentor than Mondo or Anya, but he has sincerely tried to be a better mentor. Sure he has stumbled, but he doesn't give up and continues to strive. Anya seemed to take a confrontational approach to mentoring the one person whose book she questioned (I forget his name), and ultimately blame all the problems on the designer instead of trying a different approach. Sure at the end of the day it is ultimately up the designer, but if I had been in that person's shoes I would have felt 2 inches tall. As others have said too, Mondo and Anya had the cream of the crop (at least based on the first designs) on their team and I imagine thought that Nick would be out early. Instead Nick's mentoring is working and I would say that his designers have just as much of a chance to win this as Mondo's and Anya's. They should take a page from Nick's book and learn how to mentor better themselves.
    ladygreco likes this.

Anya, who could barely sew during her season, sure has a high opinion of her skills. Mondo, who should have won his season, in my opinion, has let his success go to his head or he was a mighty fine actor during his first season.

Mondo and Anya acted the like the mean popular kids at school, and have encouraged their designers to do the same. It's sad to me. I seem to remember Mondo saying he was bullied, so shouldn't he be self aware enough to not do the same to anyone else? So disappointed in them.

Critiquing a design is one thing, their behavior something else altogether.
    Kip, pikachu, GabbyG and 6 others like this.

FORT Fogey

When I re-watched the argument between the mentors last night, Nick tried to say something about how they would feel the same way if he criticized one of their designers the way they were criticizing Natalya, and Anya actually said, "But you can't!" Seriously? She didn't see anything wrong with any of the designs her designers or Nick's designers put forward? That's funny, because we heard them say some negative things about the designs of their own designers when they walked down the runway, and Anya seemed genuinely surprised that one of her designer's work was praised by the judges. But even if he'd wanted to, Nick couldn't have found anything he could have critiqued about their work?

I also noticed that Tim looked, well, kind of embarrassed, and certainly shocked, by Anya and Mondo's behavior toward the judges. I wonder if he will say anything to them or just keep a close eye on how things go in the workroom from now on and step in if childish behavior starts cropping up again.

+ Reply to Thread