+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree780Likes

Thread: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

Re: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

I find myself feeing sorry for Nick. He was rejected by most of the designers when choices for mentors were made, which crushed his ego. Poor guy! Thus far, his mentoring style is simply black or white. It seems he wants to help his team so much that he completely takes over OR, as witnessed in this last episode, he washes his hands of them. Nick's heart is clearly in the right place but mentoring doesn't seem to be a skill he possesses. Everybody can't be a Tim Gunn type. He was born to be a mentor. It's in his DNA!

That said, the flaw of the show having the three mentors. IMO, they aren't needed....at all.
    Babbred likes this.

I must say I rather liked the collection that was safe, the one with the red/white textile they created (I think?). I particularly liked the longer gown with the leather accents. I'm sure it wasn't out there enough for some, but I liked it. The winning garment was lovely as well, I'd have had a hard time choosing between the two.

I saw previous episodes before the newest one. I am so glad Isabelle was sent home. I would possibly have been driven insane had she not gone home. Her attitude was bad enough, but Asha calling her "Isabelly" every five seconds was enough to be the last straw. I wanted to scream.

FORT Fogey

I'm enjoying the show. I actually like the 3 mentors. I especially like that they are sort of new in the fashion world themselves. They aren't that far away from the designers on their teams which makes the competition a little more dramatic.

I'm not sure they've been all that helpful, though....not like Tim Gunn is on Project Runway.

I especially like that the show has quality judges and it is all a bit more intimate. The contestants are getting a great gift by being able to get feedback from the judges the show has.
    Kip and AZChristian like this.

Ok, this is bogus. Twice the judges have had Anya make the decision (Sophie's Choice style) between her proteges and that's just not her job. If I were Anya, I would have said so the first time and DEFINITELY the second time. If the judges don't want to make a choice, then no one's going home, or the judges have to deliberate until THEY come to a decision.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I agree. Why are they throwing her under the bus. Pathetic.
    Florimel likes this.

I hate the fact that there was no elimination lasr week. 1st off Anya made a mistake of keeping Nicholas, then he got saved again because the judges could not decide who to send home when obviously it should have been Nicholas because he was already in the bottom 2 weeks in a row. And then the judges could not decide again who to send home when again it's obvious that Nicholas just sucked at these challenges. That's 3 in a row now that the judges have no cajones to make a decision.

There are 3 judges so obviously there couldn't be a tie in the votes on who to send home. If they can't decide then at least have Tim Gunn make the last say.
    tinderbox and Babbred like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Anya did not look unhappy about making the decision. I'm sure she knew how this show was designed to go before it started.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    There are 3 judges so obviously there couldn't be a tie in the votes on who to send home. If they can't decide then at least have Tim Gunn make the last say.
    Tim can't be an ethical final say judge - he's in the workroom quite a bit.

Of course this can be said for the mentors... to a point. In the real world, designers are hired and fired by the same people all the time. So, having Anya choose who's eliminated means in a way she's firing her "hiree."

Now, do I like this? - NO. The judges are there for a reason and it's been PAINFULLY obvious that Nicholas needed to go (only one more obvious was Isabelle). The dress was no where NEAR steampunk, was poorly made and styled even WORSE (really, PIPES going up into her hair)? They should've had the guts as you mentioned to just let him go.

On the top three, I loved all three designs, but Shan's was my favorite. I wish he and Oscar used a *little* more steampunk gears on their designs, but they did create outfits that fit the genre. Oscar also has a potential to do well in the millinery if he wanted - I can see a lot of Steampunk fans want one of those hats. The girl with the gears that make the dress work had a very clever idea and I was glad it worked.

There were some bad ideas on the whole steampunk idea, but most of the outfits still turned out pretty well. The bottom two were most deserving of being the bottom looks, and the top three the most.

Oh, and kudos for Asha for trying something avante garde in steampunk by using plaids. I probably wouldn't have done that normally... however it was rather well made.

I also liked the coat that had what looked like stained glass inserts (I think this was the other top three look).
    Kip and Babbred like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I had never heard the term 'steampunk' until last night, Unimpressed. It was Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory to me.
    Jexter, GabbyG and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I like that there are mentors on the show. I'm not sure how helpful they are, but it adds another layer of interest to the show. I like getting to know them a bit more and watching how they adapt and gain insights as they go.

I see where you all are coming from about having the judges decide who gets sent home, but if I were a mentor, I think I'd like to make the decision. The judges' decision is often heavily weighted on performance in the current challenge, but as a mentor I'd want to take into consideration who I think has the most promise and who best processes input from the mentors.

The judges should have sent someone home last week. I don't mind no one being sent home so much when it's a week when everyone has done well, but that wasn't the case last week.
    prhoshay likes this.

+ Reply to Thread