+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree780Likes

Thread: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

FORT Fan

Re: Under The Gunn - premieres Thurs. Jan 16 on Lifetime

What some people may not be aware of is that Nick is actually an instructor at FIDM (where the show was filmed). I am sure being a teacher/professor does have a bit to do with his mentoring style. I assumed he would be more hands on than the other two. Nick was in the background of a couple of scenes in the Hills. Lauren Conrad must have been in his class, one scene was a quick clip of her texting in class and he was in the background talking. The other was a conversation in class between LC and another student, maybe Stephanie Pratt.

I love Tim Gunn and I love PR, not sure I love this show. Some of the designs have been dreadful. I only agreed with the judges once. I still cannot believe that jumpsuit with the wonky crotch won the first challenge.

I did know that, short-lived. Nick stated it a few times during the first couple of episodes when they were choosing their teams. I still think too much hands-on doesn't help even in the classroom, but I'm sure he's used to doing that. Tim did tell me a few times that he needed to cut back on it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

What's worse? "Hands-on" from a mentor, or having a mentor tell you that your esthetic is too "junior" so you should think of what the client will want when she's 35 . . . and then eliminating that same designer who tried to follow your advice?
    tinderbox and ladygreco like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    What's worse? "Hands-on" from a mentor, or having a mentor tell you that your esthetic is too "junior" so you should think of what the client will want when she's 35 . . . and then eliminating that same designer who tried to follow your advice?
    Yea, i cant believe a mentor steering her protege in the wrong direction and then getting rid of him. Thats like a hit in the midsection. However, i cant stand both Isabelle and Nick. Isabelle should have been gone in the first challenge. Its Nick's fault too for taking her in the first place. He knew he was taking a big risk with her, she obviuosly had time management issues from the get go so Nick has noone to blame but himself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Florimel and tinderbox like this.

At the time Nick was desperate for designers. He felt left out of the cool kids club. I don't blame him for taking her even though he could have waited.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The one that irritates me is Natalia. Nick saved her from being sent home in the first episode. She was such a mess, and now she is complaining about him. I know a lot of it is editing, but lady, put your head down, count your blessings and do your homework.

I love how when Nick fed up with the designers telling him "leave us to our own devices here," and let the designers to their own devices they SHOWED HIM UP and won the challenge.

Did NOT however like him giving no comments of two of the designers (such a bratty attitude), then go and brag about he let them do this and ... well made it all about him from the undertones.

Oscar was definitely the clear winner. I wasn't a huge fan that it had no sides on it, but it was definitely all three characteristics of a Pompeii (historical understanding of the city and depictions) outfit modernized, well made and looked good.

I personally liked Asha's outfit too, though Mondo said it was "too many ideas." For a simple brown dress with detail, you needed the details.

I'm OK with the bottom two getting a second chance, but I have a feeling that it'd been Shan eliminated and that's why. His dress was nice but simple while the other's was at least reminiscent of Pompeii (i.e. sexy - people seem to forget that there was a lot of talk about sex in Pompeii, and a lot of frescoes show it).

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I thought that the guy with the little ugly dress with the black triangles should have been eliminated, had it been done. I really liked Shan's dress style.

I enjoyed that Nick stepped back and his team stepped up! It was sink-or-swim time, and those fishies swam!!
    GabbyG and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Over-exhuberant Nick has stated before that he learned his mentor lesson, but, once again, he over-stepped; and once again he says he's learned. Really...I guess we'll see next week.

That said, it took a selfish attitude on his team along with two compliant women to bring that team together.

At least all three teams put on cohesive runways.
    Photobabe and Babbred like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Catching up on the episode now.

Remember, Nick's team is kind of like the "Bad News Bears" of fashion. None of the designers wanted Nick; they all wanted the "cool kids" Mondo and Anya. So poor Nick lost out on his first choices. He basically got stuck with the dregs.

As for their attitude towards Nick, I'll tell you what it reminds me of. Last week, I read an article by a family psychologist. He was lambasting the infamous "helicopter parents" and says he sees them all the time as clients. They come to him because their kids are totally unmotivated and so floundering in school. The first thing he says is, "Let me guess, you've spent all their life coddling them. Every time they had a negative experience, such as losing a sports game, you told them, 'That's ok, at least you tried. That's all that matters.' Or you blamed others. Or you made all the effort to fix it. IOW, they've never really suffered loss or been challenged to improve themselves. They've never taken responsibility for anything."

When I read that I thought, "Amen! That's Nick's team!" Let's see:

"Wah wah wah. You criticized Isabelle! You didn't say something nice! At least she tried! She put out a dress every week, didn't she?"

And what does the psychologist tell his clients? "Stand back and let your kid sink. Take away the safety net and make them take responsibility for their own life and messes." Exactly what Nick did. (His observation after they won, that he needed to step back, sounded like he'd been to the shrink.)

Oscar--loved his outfit most. Very chic.

Stephanie--I'm not really into rompers, but it was pretty.

Natalia--pretty colors, but I thought the dress was too plain for my taste. It almost bordered on frumpy/grandmotherly for me.

?--that black dress was far and away the best from Anya's team. Very elegant.

Nicholas--that oversized t-shirt was horrible. Loved that judge's remark about how it looked like her 5-year-old nephew did the design.

Shan--agreed with that one judge who said it was almost good, it just needed some elements removed.

Jadewarlock

I'm OK with the bottom two getting a second chance, but I have a feeling that it'd been Shan eliminated and that's why. His dress was nice but simple while the other's was at least reminiscent of Pompeii (i.e. sexy - people seem to forget that there was a lot of talk about sex in Pompeii, and a lot of frescoes show it).

I once saw a documentary that said Pompeii was the Las Vegas of the ancient world--Sin City. So that "Pompeii Red" fabric the one team had was very appropriate. When they held it up in the workroom I was picturing a woman in a slinky evening dress with a long cigarette holder.

busilis32

The one that irritates me is Natalia. Nick saved her from being sent home in the first episode. She was such a mess, and now she is complaining about him. I know a lot of it is editing, but lady, put your head down, count your blessings and do your homework.

Amen and amen. Preach it!

I am SO excited about next week. I'm a sci-fi geek so I love the Steampunk movement.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread