+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Christmas Light Fight

Christmas Light Fight

The Great Christmas Light Fight | ABC.com

I was looking forward to this show and it was exactly what I expected. I LOVE Christmas lights. The more the merrier. I have always wanted to do extravagant, over the top displays like the families on this show have. I really loved the display that ended up winning last night. It was the perfect mix of old and new. I told my daughter you know a lot of his stuff is old because the elves looked down right evil. Just like I remember from childhood.

This show makes me think of the episode of Fresh Prince where Will decorates their Bel Aire home in the biggest tackiest display possible. The HOA is all over him about it when President Regan shows up and tells Will how much he enjoys it because it reminds him of the displays from his childhood.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Re: Christmas Light Fight

I watched a little of this and enjoyed it more than I expected to. I even agreed with who they choose to win. I was expecting gaudy, and there was some of that, but there was a lot of charming as well.

I love watching all the lights, but it's too much work for me. I'll stick with lots of indoor decorations. lol Of course, it might be worth it if I would win $50,000.!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

One of the contestants lives about 20 minutes from me. While the local news peeps talked only to neighbors who were in FAVOR of the display, I am sure there were equally as many who wish they'd just hang a wreath on the door and be done with it. The streets in the neighborhood there are narrow and the resulting gridlock from sight-seeing drivers would likely bring out the Grinch in me.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I remember when I had family that lived in the San Fernando Valley, there was a place called Candy Cane Lane. Every house in the neighborhood went all out with their displays. As a little girl I thought it was the most awesome thing in the world. And part of why I have always wanted to go all out with my displays. But the traffic just crept all through the neighborhood. As an adult I would NOT love it. Of course its only for one month out of the year and for a good reason. I might be able to stow away the Grinch in me. But IDK.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

We have a house in our area that goes all out. Last year the house across the street put up a big arrow out of Christmas lights pointing at the all out house, with the word DITTO in the middle of the arrow

Hey it's the one month of the year we go all out. It amazes me how folks go in waves in my neighborhood as far as some years they decorate and others they don't.

I go all out at my office ... one or two folks think I go overboard so I didn't do anything for them this year and we all are happy.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I loved it! Happy to see there is another 2 hour show next week. The firefighter earned the win in my opinion. The three other homes were amazing, but his was the best. It did not surprise me that he thought to bury the cords so no one would trip over them. Can you imagine the jumble of hoses they have to navigate during a large fire?

When I was a child all the firehouses in The City competed to outdo each other in decorating for the holiday. All the firefighter's kids were invited to get on a few Muni busses that were put into service on one night to take us on a trip around The City to see all the brightly decorated firehouses. My sisters and I were always sure our dad's house was the best. I'm sure all the other kids felt the same about their own dad's house.
    Duckyface likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    We have a house in our area that goes all out. Last year the house across the street put up a big arrow out of Christmas lights pointing at the all out house, with the word DITTO in the middle of the arrow
    Actually - if I were a judge in a normal contest - it'd get at least third in the contest. It shows creativity, humor and in a way grace dealing with the over the top one.

Then again - our town chose a flock of fake light up flamingos with Santa hats on them last year to be the champion yard display so what do I know?
    Punkin and Duckyface like this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

You want Christmas lights?

Knock yourself out!

Holiday Light Shows

These are very elaborate and fun. Except if you lived near them.
    Punkin and waywyrd like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast