Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By MsDiva2007
  • 3 Post By harleyswife
  • 2 Post By MsDiva2007
  • 1 Post By Punkin
  • 2 Post By candor

Thread: "Thicker than water" Bravo

"Thicker than water" Bravo

Anyone watch this mess? I was speechless when it was over.

Thicker than Water follows Ben and Jewel Tankard with their blended family as they live, love and laugh through the perils and pleasures of life. Self-dubbed the "Black Brady Bunch," this southern family integrates their strong religious conviction with their penchant for the finer things in life. Under the watchful eye of the patriarch and matriarch, the Tankard children, although grown-up, still live at home and must abide by Ben and Jewel's rules. With the belief that "God wants us all to be millionaires," the Tankards aim to be the best and brightest in everything they do. Along with their drive, comes a healthy dose of rivalry proving the adage, "You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family" especially true.
    overseas likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: "Thicker than water"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/09/arts/television/thicker-than-water-brings-the-religion-of-wealth-to-bravo.html?hpw&rref=television&_r=0

Television Review

Where a Camel Can Squeeze Through a Needle’s Eye

‘Thicker Than Water’ Brings the Religion of Wealth to Bravo

By JON CARAMANICA

Published: November 8, 2013

When Cyrene, the youngest daughter of Ben and Jewel Tankard, returns from prom on the premiere of “Thicker Than Water,” she nods at the promise ring on her finger and assures her parents, “I’m still a virgin.”

As parents, the Tankards probably find this a relief. As preachers, they certainly think it’s good news. As heads of the family at the center of this show, which begins on Sunday night on Bravo, they might consider it a mixed blessing.

“Thicker Than Water” documents the couple, their three daughters, one son (and his wife) and one granddaughter, who all live in the Nashville suburbs in what they un-self-consciously call the Tankard Palace. In addition to sermonizing, Ben is a popular musician making chirpy, inconsequential, gospel-inflected instrumental jazz. Permanently avuncular, he has the air of a man who has awakened in an amusement park and then mischievously swallowed the keys, lest anyone try to expel him.

“Thicker” is in the Brady/Cleaver-clean mold of “Run’s House,” which ran for six seasons of musician-minister millionaire fun on MTV. But Rev Run was modest, and his children were fickle materialists in the making. Here, Ben and Jewel set the tone of enthused wealth, giddily cataloging their possessions. When Jewel asserts, “This black Barbie flies private or she stays home,” it doesn’t sound as if it were the first time she’s made the point.

Undoubtedly maintaining this level of the Lord’s favor requires a tremendous amount of work — you just never see it. Mr. Tankard’s sermons, such as they are — he calls himself a “reacher,” not a preacher — feel more like stand-up comedy with life coach overtones. “Every night I look over at my wife at dinner,” he says, eyeing Jewel, then continues, “I say, ‘I got an appointment with your midsection.’ ” Cyrene, sitting next to her, finds this hilarious.

Mostly, Ben touts the prosperity gospel, which insists that God wants everyone to be wealthy: “There is no ghetto section of heaven,” he insists with silly confidence. Conveniently, this is an easy extension of Bravo’s obsession with modern black wealth in shows like “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” and “The New Atlanta.” There’s also kinship with “Preachers of L.A.,” on Oxygen, another show that understands that the world of gospel music and church is as aspirationally flashy as hip-hop and sports, and as much a hotbed for drama.

But there is a difference between transparency and baring all, and the meat of a series like this is conflict, not consumerist voyeurism. There is notional family tension: The Tankards become excited for Cyrene’s prom outing but barely pay any mind to their daughter Brooklyn, who ran a marathon — well, a mini-marathon — the same day. Brooklyn is the wayward child, with an arrest history. She and Britney, the older daughters, dangle tantalizing stories of their old lives outside of the bright sunbeams of the prosperity gospel.

The celebration of wealth verging on smugness of “Thicker” is a less promising premise than, say, the godliness-versus-rebelliousness frisson of “Preachers’ Daughters,” on Lifetime, which was recently renewed for a second season. Viewers — or, at a minimum, television executives — want something different from what parishioners do. They understand that, more often than not, pride goeth before a renewal.

Thicker Than Water

Bravo, Sundays at 9, Eastern and Pacific times; 8, Central time.

Produced by Sirens Media; Rebecca Toth Diefenbach, Valerie Haselton Drescher, Lucilla D’Agostino, Kris Lindquist and Michael Call, executive producers.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: "Thicker than water" Bravo

it's an abomination! This is everything that's wrong with organized religion! That's why I'm an atheist.
    Punkin, Florimel and Imperfect1 like this.

I think what rubs me the wrong way is the bragging about money and then trying to preach to folks.smh
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I only got 15 minutes in. Ugh.

Hubby and I both agreed to turn the channel.

Diamond, the little daughter of the Preacher's oldest was adorable. That is all I got to add.

Naa, no interest in seeing it anymore.

Wait, I did think it was very ODD that we, the viewers, went from the Preacher and his wife picking out new PRIVATE AIRPLANES to the Preacher cleaning toilets ..... ??????
    KAREN

Prosperity gospel = Blasphemy. These people disgust me. This is Christianity with a 'black eye'. The money changers are in the temple and they are gleefully throwing mud in Christ's face as they glory in their amassed material possessions.

Georgia poverty levels among worst in America - Atlanta Business Chronicle

The percentage of Georgians living in poverty in 2011 is among the highest in the United States, according to a new On Numbers analysis of U.S. Census Bureau figures.

In Georgia, 14.7 percent of families live below the poverty level, putting the Peach State in a tie with Kentucky for sixth-highest poverty rate in the United States.

At the same time, 19.1 of individuals in Georgia fell below the poverty line -- sixth-worst in America.
    When I am making jewelry, if I'm not playing music I'll put something mindless on the TV just for background noise (I hate a dark or quiet house). That is how I happened to catch this immoral circus yesterday. I'll not put myself forward as any kind of expert on Christianity, I left my Catholicism behind many years ago, largely because of this sort of hypocrisy. But I'm pretty damn sure Christ's message was for those who have material comfort to reach out to those in desperate poverty and lift them up where they can. This horse's ass, who calls himself a minister and claims there is "no ghetto section of heaven", need only look around to see plenty of ghetto poverty in Atlanta. I'd challenge any devout Christian on this board to watch an episode of this trash and explain to me how any of these congregations who preach this so-called 'prosperity gospel' are not in direct conflict with the main tenants of Christianity.

More and more I think that watching these Bravo-lebrities (with the clear exception of Jeffrey Lewis and his clan) is eating a hole in my soul. Rejoicing in the public humiliation of such scum as the Guidices, or watching Lisa and Lea of Miami getting orgasmic over some $48,000 handbag is not bringing out the best in me. This new Bravo show just reaches such a new low that I need to start rethinking my viewing choices. It makes me feel angry with myself for filling my head with such tripe.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I couldn't get through the first episode. I'm not particularly religious, and I don't care how anyone practices his or her religion, but worshipping wealth -- and that's really their philosophy -- seems to be the height of crass materialism. Maybe because it's vulgarity masked by phony godliness.
    Punkin and MsDiva2007 like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread