+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Second Chance: The Search for America's Most Talented Seniors - 06/01

Second Chance: The Search for America's Most Talented Seniors - 06/01

PEACOCK NETWORK ADDS SILVER TO COLORS WITH PREMIERE OF NEW COMPETITIVE SPECIAL 'SECOND CHANCE: THE SEARCH FOR AMERICA'S MOST TALENTED SENIORS' ON JUNE 1

Published: May 21, 2003

Oscar Winner Shirley Jones, Barry Williams and Estelle Harris Serve as Celebrity Judges as Mario Lopez Hosts

BURBANK, Calif. -- May 21, 2003 -- Never has network TV seen a 69 Year Old Grandma rapping to Fifty Cent or an 80- year old Grandma playing the electric guitar. Senior citizens are finally being given their second chance with its new competitive special “Second Chance: America’s Most Talented Senior,” as celebrity judges Shirley Jones (“The Partridge Family”), Barry Williams (“The Brady Bunch”) and Estelle Harris (“Seinfeld”) will determine which competitor will win $25,000 which will be awarded on Sunday, June 1 (8-9 p.m. ET).

The announcement was made by Jeff Gaspin, Executive Vice President, Alternative Series, Longform and Program Strategy, NBC Entertainment.

As in NBC’s related series, “America’s Most Talented Kid,” Mario Lopez (“The Other Half”) will serve as host.

“Second Chance: America’s Most Talented Senior” will feature older Americans from across the country who will compete head-to-head in an overall talent contest. The categories will range from song and dance to the most exceptional and unusual acts.

Featured contestants include Vivian Smallwood, 69 (Mission Hills, California; Cordell Jackson, 80 (Memphis, Tennessee); Larry Scott, 60 (Monkton, Maryland); Jelsa Palao, 58 (Valley Village, California); Lambus Dean, 54 (Las Vegas, Nevada); Nian Cadman Dake, 60 (Phoenix, Arizona); Christine Gentry, 82 (Florence, Alabama); Al Raitano, 60 (Cave Creek, Arizona); Mary Allen, 77 (Carrollton, Texas), and Jerome Robinson, 53 (Las Vegas, Nevada).

The one-hour special will highlight the individual talent of the seniors, who will be scored by Oscar winner Jones (“Elmer Gantry”), Williams and Harris as the celebrity panel of judges. The judges will pick the winner who will receive a $25,000 cash prize.

The special will also include behind-the-scenes footage of the audition process.

“Second Chance: America’s Most Talented Senior” is a production of NBC Studios. Stuart Krasnow (“Dog Eat Dog,” “Weakest Link”) serves as the executive producer, and Peter Johansen (“The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn,” “The Martin Short Show”) co-executive produces.

This is a one-time, one-hour show.

thank goodness.

Jumpin' on the Clay Train Bdawg's Avatar
    John, you DID make this up, right?

I only wish. Personally, it's about the last thing I'd ever want to see on TV, and proves the saying that not all reality TV is good reality TV.

FORT Fogey
    All I know is that show can't possibly get any worse than the previews make it look. This could be even worse than those horrendous dating shows... Fortunately, it will only come on once, so it will be easy to steer clear...

Fade to black
    Oh interesting.

This should be fun. Or not.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

It might not be that bad.. "Golden Girls" is my all-time favorite sitcom. But then again they rarely sang, or danced, or juggled, or whatever the heck might be on this new show.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

FORT Fogey
    This sounds more like the kind of programming they would have on Fox, rather than NBC. Fox has the lowest standards around, although ABC has given them some competition with "Are You Hot?" and "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of There." It seems like the networks are sinking to all new lows with this reality programming.

So, is anyone actually going to watch this tonight!?!?!?

Originally posted by AnnaRHR
    So, is anyone actually going to watch this tonight!?!?!?
    I was going to watch, but stupid dumb work got in the way. I read that Mario Lopez is the host... That's reason enough for me to watch.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Terena79
    I was going to watch, but stupid dumb work got in the way. I read that Mario Lopez is the host... That's reason enough for me to watch.
    I was thinking the exact same thing, except with the word "not" added before "to watch."

+ Reply to Thread