+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

This time I was actually OK with who Bear sent home. Someone had to go and it's getting to the point where most contestants are on a similar level now.

I've never seen that type of fire material before, but when they were trying to light the fire, I kept asking my husband, "aren't they supposed to take that out of the package?! Why aren't they unwrapping it?" That combined with Madeline's uselessness made them the right choice this week.

I'm not sure the structure of this show is very well thought out. Eating random disgusting items every week doesn't add anything to the show. It's not fear factor. Having teams assigned to different tasks doesn't make much sense either. The obstacle team is a dumb idea. Different teams are in charge of leading the trek based on what they are looking for is just random (ie., now the shelter team is in charge of getting people to the campsite or now the food team is in charge of leading the hike to the food). Are they not supposed to help other teams if they have skills in the other teams area? Bear does not approve if people don't do their assigned item alone and also does not approve of people not working as a team. Too many mixed messages.

I don't think the teams should be assigned to different tasks. Everyone should help with everything and let the chips fall where they may based on contributions. And they need a different way to send people home rather than just Bear's opinion.

I don't mind Lucky & Louie. I thought they were sweet on last night's show.

I too am confused as to the judging. The group is supposed to work as a team, which I have yet to see except for them all willing to criticism each others performances. It's yeah Red Team for being dogged and then it's Jim and Austin taken to task for not using the other members of the team. If Jim and Austin had used Ryan as the strong man at the end of the rope while walking and used Ryan as an anchor in case Jeff fell into the crevasse would Jim and Austin be praised, I think not, I think Bear would have sent them home.

I did notice no one criticized Jeff, probably afraid they would be sent home like last week's team.

Oh, bravo to Ryan for being honest and saying they were one of the teams with the poorest performance this episode. I do think in a survival situation a team must be realistic about it's strengths and weaknesses.

Oh, didn't see the point of eating insects while on top of a glacier as I don't think those insects live in that environment.

Overall while I like the survival aspect of this show the rules are confusing and none of these folks really have survival skills and making them climb glaciers and mountain climb in previous episodes is incredibly stupid and life threatening. I do miss that Bear is no longer explaining why he sent a particular team home. Maybe even he doesn't know why he does it?
    causingchaos and Cornholio like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Bearcata, I like the survival aspect of the show too... and the basic concept, but the longer I watch the less sense it makes overall. I had the same thought about the insects, and for that matter, why can't they just rely on the kinds of foods that they would find in any of the locations they have been in?

I'm sick of the rock climbing with all kinds of equipment and such. It doesn't really reflect surviving in the wild at all... unless you just so happen to be a rock climber and you get lost. It doesn't relate to the show's title "getting out alive". As others have said, it's just a lot of Fear Factor combined (in my mind) with day tripping thrill seeking crap which doesn't really relate.

Watching the show with my daughter last night, during a sequence of slow motion Bear shots, my daughter blurted out, "wow, that guy's pretty full of himself". Unfortunately, that may be a summary of the show when it's all said and done. Damn shame.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

I've only been able to catch bits and parts of the show since the early episodes. I continue to wish they would have done a team work survival sort of thing with some more realistic challenges. How about actually tryign to get out of somewhere? Right now I feel like they're just doing obstacle courses instead of trying to navigate anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I've only been able to catch bits and parts of the show since the early episodes. I continue to wish they would have done a team work survival sort of thing with some more realistic challenges. How about actually tryign to get out of somewhere? Right now I feel like they're just doing obstacle courses instead of trying to navigate anywhere.
    I think they should have expanded on that idea with having a bit of a boot camp survival training in the beginning of the episode and then being dropped in an area and left on their own to get out using the techniques they just learned. I wouldn't mind seeing another season of the show but they need to change up the format some what.

I would luv to see them have to build suitable shelter for different types of conditions as all the teams would be eliminated after a challenge like that and we would have new faces for the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I think they should have expanded on that idea with having a bit of a boot camp survival training in the beginning of the episode and then being dropped in an area and left on their own to get out using the techniques they just learned. I wouldn't mind seeing another season of the show but they need to change up the format some what.

I would luv to see them have to build suitable shelter for different types of conditions as all the teams would be eliminated after a challenge like that and we would have new faces for the next episode.
    I would have liked to see a boot camp thing and then being dropped somewhere and left to get out like actually get out. Not even necessarily at the start of each episode but in the start in general then let them be. Watch them figure it out without some arbitrary pee drinking or bug eating. Or have bear pop in to give them graduating skill lessons. Here's how you start a fire this way and now here's how we do it this way which looked like they were doing just a little bit.

I can't follow how people get kicked off the show. Either it's about team work or not. Pick a way and stick with it.

Looking forward to the finale tonight. Hope either Lucky and Louie or Jim and Austin win. I hardly ever favor a team of alpha males as I feel they have too many advantages over teams that and they tend to be very arrogant and cocky. I would sincerely like it if one of the "Silver Fox" Teams win; experience over youth.

I'm not even sure how to decide who I want to win. Usually I try to go with who best met the stated goal of the show and was most reliable during the events. I also don't necessarily like the alpha males to win though Bear is one himself so I could see him leaning that direction. May or may not watch tonight. My house is really hot from the sunny hot day. May go read and lay in front of my fans. That's how I roll with survival.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Chris and Jeff got robbed! They were the only team in the finale that was able to start a fire. I thought for sure they should have won.

What a disappointing ending to a show I never could decide if I liked or not. It left a lot to be desired.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Who won? I'm glad it wasn't Jeff and Chris. Please say Jim and Austin.

+ Reply to Thread