+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

Who can tell? Bear seems to be all over the place in whether you can ask for help, give help, withhold it, etc. If I were on the show I would be totally confused about what was allowed or desired.

I really thought the shelter team should have gotten the boot. They FAILED at their job. The team eliminated was guilty of .... what? Less compassion than Bear thought they should have? HE asked what they thought, and then eliminated them because of what they thought. I consider this a weak reason. If there were nothing else to judge on, then okay, because someone has to go home. But with the FAIL at building the shelters, send 'em home.

And I kind of don't like Austin much. He and his dad (Jim) are very competent, and Jim seems nice, but Austin has a smug and swollen-ego attitude. I don't think it makes them deserve elimination, but I would like to be able to smack Austin a few times. Please?
    causingchaos and Cornholio like this.

Yeah I didn't really understand his reasoning for eliminating the team this week either. He didn't like that Kyle asked Lucky (I think) to help skin the goat, yet he will turn around and get frustrated when they don't work as a team. It's like which one do you want?
    causingchaos likes this.

I don't know the last time I skinned a goat. If I had a person to hunted regularly around I would ask for help right away so I would get the best cuts etc...
    Kip and Florimel like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I would like it more if they weren't given these "assignments" on what to do and if it was a little more like Suvivor where they need to figure out who is good at what stuff and work from there. Bear could get rid of the dead weight in the group or whatever his mood is when it comes to eliminations. So maybe like Bearcata is good at starting fires and she could work on that and I good at dealing with field dressing animals so I could deal with that. And then maybe she could teach me how to do a fire and I could teach her how to field dress the goat because we know that Bear values team work and volunteering whatever. I'd like to see that more than than these assignments.
    Florimel and Bearcata like this.

Florimel and I should apply to be on Naked and Afraid and show off our fire making and animal skinning skills.
    Cornholio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Florimel and I should apply to be on Naked and Afraid and show off our fire making and animal skinning skills.

ROFLMAO!!!!! Gee thanks, Bearcata. I just spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Sure, sign me up as long as I can bring along a butcher, a fisherman, a furrier, and my butane candle lighter. I won't last five minutes after the next bomb hits or extraterrestrials attack or we're struck by a meteor. My survivalist IQ is probably lower than my shoe size.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post

ROFLMAO!!!!! Gee thanks, Bearcata. I just spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Sure, sign me up as long as I can bring along a butcher, a fisherman, a furrier, and my butane candle lighter. I won't last five minutes after the next bomb hits or extraterrestrials attack or we're struck by a meteor. My survivalist IQ is probably lower than my shoe size.
    I am game for it as long as the butcher, fisherman and furrier have really great butts. Also we need a really good designer from Project Runway of course who can design some really great coconuts for the girls.
    Cornholio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I am game for it as long as the butcher, fisherman and furrier have really great butts. Also we need a really good designer from Project Runway of course who can design some really great coconuts for the girls.
    I was going to include a tailor in my entourage, but then I remembered I was supposed to be roughing it and maybe that was going a little too far. I decided to be brave and do without.

Getting back to this show, Bear is annoying me more each week. He stresses teamwork, then penalizes the ones who try to help the others. He seems to take the most delight in getting people to eat whatever is most unpalatable. I agree that those that recognize their shortcomings and ask for help from those more skilled should be rewarded as should those who are willing to share their expertise. I'm sure he is a fantastic survivalist, but I don't find him either fair or entertaining.
    Cornholio likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I don't like Bear either.

I am glad that a M/M team finally left, though. Didn't like which one it was, but still. It would have felt pretty unfair if they all made it to the end.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

At this point, I would have preferred Lucky and Louie. I'm so tired of them and that b.s. move of attempting to throw themselves under the bus last episode was annoying. Too bad, Madeline was useless, pretty much, but I did like her better than Louie. And I REALLY liked Ryan.

I agree with you all that Bear is too unpredictable as a judge. Jim and Austin are trying to do things on their own so they won't get blamed for being weak by asking others, but are now getting reprimanded for not asking for help. During the glacier hike, Austin led and Jim took up the rear and they were faulted by not putting Ryan on the back end. But we know if they had put Ryan on one end, Bear would have asked why they didn't do it themselves. Ridiculous.
    (Personally, I thought Ryan in the middle was smartest anyway, because if one goes on either end, Ryan is in a solid position to help. Anyways... )

Besides Bear's inconsitancy, there were many things I didn't get about this episode. Jeff's determination to prove something made zero sense, since it was unnecessary (the team that critiqued him got ousted the prior episode), Lucky and Louie's inexplicable stupidity at making the shelter... how are a bunch of sticks with more air than stick a windbreak? Finally, not taking the friggin firestart out of the wrapper. omg. really. And Austin and Jim get lambasted because they can't get a bow fire going the week before? And everyone says they are the weak team?

I guess you all know who I'm rooting for.

Oh, and to the comment above about Austin being smug, I don't see it. He looks smug, kind of, but when he speaks, he spends a lot of time admitting fault and being generally humble. I hope they win it all next episode!
    march, Florimel and Cornholio like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

+ Reply to Thread