+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I'm still enjoying this show, but I could do without the dramatic shots of Bear performing each task... we get it, he's the star of the show. I could care less.
    Watching Bear do it annoys me because the way he shows it is pretty bad. Sure you will rappel quick down a mountain or run down a mountain if you have a camera crew with you and if you twist your leg or hurt yourself you can use the camera crew or your sat phone to call for help. You take things a lot slower when if you hurt yourself you are stuck with that broken leg, bashed in head, etc. That always annoyed me about his show, both this one and his original survival show. The other show where the guy actually goes without a crew was much better at showing how you really do it, yes he still probably had the sat phone, but he didn't do stupid things like running down mountains.

Glad Bear told the teams they were not thinking for themselves when they didn't cover themselves with a tarp while waiting to belly crawl on the rope traverse. Saw no one stepping up for that activity.

I cannot believe Wilson and Robin thought that shelter they built was OK. I too was wondering did they not hear what Bear said. That was a disaster but why didn't any of the folks that were going to use the big shelter say anything to Wilson and Robin, they too failed to listen to Bear in how the shelters should be built and they failed to step up when someone was doing it wrong.

The other thing was why did they guys go eel hunting in their pants and shoes if they didn't know they were going to have any fire back at the camp. I thought it was incredibly dumb to get their pants, socks and shoes wet like that.

I do think the majority of the folks are simply not wrapping their minds around the step up and help..they do whine and complain about the other teams a lot. The thing is I wouldn't have a problem with any of them if they would simply complain then go over and help or fix the problem.

Yeah, only 3 episodes left.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I missed the last episode but the trend of people not thinking for themselves has been the rest of the episodes I've seen. The show is set up for different groups to fail. That kind of bummed me out the first episode when people are given tasks like this group does the fire and whatever and while I can't give specific examples (because I have a migraine and can't think at all at the moment) this is a game show and letting another group fail at their task gets them off the show faster. I would have liked to see more people all contributing where they were able. Some people are better at food gathering. Others are good at fire. I think it would have been a little more genuine and if Bear is actually looking for an all around person would have given him that chance better than these contrived task assignments.

But generally speaking the people aren't thinking for themselves was my point. If it's getting dark and we need a fire and it's not getting started I'm going to go help start a fire. If we need a shelter I'm going to help build it. I won't just stnad around wait for the assigned team to do it. The show isn't set up for that kind of interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I missed the last episode but the trend of people not thinking for themselves has been the rest of the episodes I've seen. The show is set up for different groups to fail. That kind of bummed me out the first episode when people are given tasks like this group does the fire and whatever and while I can't give specific examples (because I have a migraine and can't think at all at the moment) this is a game show and letting another group fail at their task gets them off the show faster. I would have liked to see more people all contributing where they were able. Some people are better at food gathering. Others are good at fire. I think it would have been a little more genuine and if Bear is actually looking for an all around person would have given him that chance better than these contrived task assignments.

But generally speaking the people aren't thinking for themselves was my point. If it's getting dark and we need a fire and it's not getting started I'm going to go help start a fire. If we need a shelter I'm going to help build it. I won't just stnad around wait for the assigned team to do it. The show isn't set up for that kind of interaction.
    The thing is if you do step and help that is a big plus for you and your team and saves you from going home and makes you look good in Bear's eyes. Therefore helping others sets you up for the win. If it comes down to a two or three team finale the team that was the strongest isn't going to win. The team that won the most challenges is not going to win. The team that was most helpful is going to win. I don't think anyone has gotten that yet. The food team that decided to get a couple more "tuna" for breakfast was a good example of stepping up, I thought, in that particular case.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I agree, Bearcata. Chris and Jeff have done a lot to step up and help other teams, and they were building themselves up in Bear's book. Sleeping in and letting others do the work really cost them.
    That said, the complaining is really annoying... I wonder how much information Bear has access to. He obviously sees a lot that is going on, but I wonder if he hears what is going on too. The reason I wonder is he seemed to think that Canden (don't know how to spell, don't care) was supportive of her mom which wasn't the case.
    The game could be manipulated with that knowledge.
    scoot13 likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Awww, I was sad to see Royce go. It seemed like the couple in charge of shelter should have been the ones to leave.

FORT Newbie

I feel like the only thing that got them kicked off was opening their mouths. Bear did get on Kyle for asking Lucky for help, but that seemed like a minor thing. Even though they were critical talking about Jim and Austin and Jeff, I never got the impression that either of them were actually not willing to help out the others if need be and others had chimed in earlier and said Kyle had the best attitude of anyone.

One thing about this show that I am confused about is that Bear emphasizes teamwork and the good of the group, but at the same time then seems to criticize when people take that advice. Like last night when Kyle asked for help in skinning the goat correctly, or last week when Lucky decided to just be pulled across instead of wasting any more time since it was getting dark. Jim and Austin worked for 2 hours trying to get the fire started while everyone sat around freezing b/c they knew that their time was limited if they couldn't complete their task.

Also, Kyle and Royce get sent off for talking negatively about others when asked, while Lucky then gets criticized for willing to sacrifice himself b/c he doesn't want to talk badly about the others. I know Bear is human and this is just a dumb reality show, but if I were participating, I would have no idea what to do.

I kept a "GetOutAlive" search open on Twitter when the show is on and last night seemed to have the most activity of any episode so far. Of course, the U.S. Women's National Team fans started tweeting their outrage after Kyle was cut, but even before that I felt there was more Twitter activity than normal for those that care.
    causingchaos likes this.

Both the young all male teams are annoying me tonight, both seem to be sniping at each other, both can go in my opinion. Both teams seem to have targeted Austin and Jim to go because they couldn't start a fire the old fashioned way...uh..like to see them try.

Can anyone in this competition build a decent shelter. I like how Bear asked did you create a pile 3 to 4 feet high of grass to lie down in. The reply "oh, we spread grass around". Duh....a scattering of grass was going to insulate you in the mountains in freezing weather. Aren't these folks learning anything. From the progression these folks won't even have their sleeping bags the next time. I really don't like how the others decided Jim and Austin needed to go and none even mentioned that the shelter folks were a big reason they were freezing that night. Glad Jim and Austin managed to save themselves. Now if only the guy with the knee injury would go.

Big peeve, I really, really hate it when they have to kill animals for unnecessary reasons on reality tv shows. I hate when they kill the chickens on Survivor and I don't like the fact that they killed a deer and a goat for these folks. Let them starve that would be more realistic situation anyway.

I went back and watched some of the episode over again and Royce and Kyle and Jeff (bad knee) and Chris have been complaining about each other through out the episode and if memory serves through other episodes. They don't like each other. Personally either team could have gone home last night. I did notice that it seemed as if everyone thought Jim and Austin should be the eliminated team, thankfully their opinions don't matter. I can't believe that all of them stood around for more then two hours watching Jim and Austin try to make a fire. Why didn't they cut more grass and make a huge insulated grass sleeping bag for themselves. They had the time and the energy to complain but not do anything. Too bad there has to be a winner after last night's episode I think none of them would get out alive.
    Kip likes this.

Are they not allowed to help out another group? Cause if I was in the food group and saw that shelter and the ground still cold from not enough grass I would be padding my own area so I wouldn't freeze all night. Are they not allowed to do that or are they just lazy?

+ Reply to Thread