+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

All I know is that no one who wears big colorful bows or flowers in their hair during a survival competition in the wild can ever be permitted to win, no matter
    how nice they are!
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I like the father and son the most.

Watching this show it comes to mind that mental toughness and attitude are so important. I don't know what it is about Donna who is 51, but she is so negative, "I can't", "I can't" but her daughter's treatment of her is bullying and nasty. I do think Donna does play the victim but it only goes so far and at this point in life it is no longer "cute".

Wilson and Robin - I am liking Robin because she is doesn't give up, she keeps going and going. I just wish Wilson had more of the energizer rabbit in him because at 40 he is in terrible shape, especially for someone who has an outdoor job. It is embarrassing when you compare Wilson (40) vs Jim (61) and Andrew (58) who don't hold the team back and are doing quite well physically and are the oldest ones on the team.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I would like to see either Austin and Jim or Andrew or Andrea win this just because I like the idea of a parent / child team winning verses either of the two young, athletic all male teams or the young athletic engaged couple win. I don't think Wilson or Robin have a chance to win this but it will be interesting to see how far they can go. They are the couple I think viewers identify with the most as far as being "couch potatoes". I think the only reason they haven't been eliminated yet is that Bear admires Robin's tenacity and positive attitude but she can only carry Wilson so far. If Wilson had Robin's tenacity I could see this couple going far based on that alone.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Robin made me laugh when she slapped her butt and encouraged Wilson to keep moving. Kind of a carrot before a donkey, I guess.

I agree that I would like to see a father/child team win. Jim and Andrew (Lucky) show that you don't have to be young to be fit. They also bring a lot of experience and maturity to the show. As for Andrea (Louie), she may wear big hairbows, but she has shown she has tenacity and toughness out there. In my opinion, the only strike against her was her gossip about the negative girl that got kicked out a couple of weeks ago. Complaining about negativity is kind of ironic.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

August 05, 2013

Wilson surprised the heck out of me doing that rope traverse. Oh, Robin...glad some others couldn't do it either.

Eel slayers! Yikes! These people look really wimpy compared to Naked and Afraid. So much fancy BG gear!

I am hearing a lot of confessionals of teams complaining about how the other teams are not stepping up and not doing a good job. Well, if you are standing freezing to death in the rain why don't you step up and take the initiative and put up a tarp shelter, that is after all the point of the show that seems to be getting lost.
    Florimel likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Finally, Robin and Wilson are sent packing. Their good attitudes held them up for longer than I would have ever imagined.

And I'm back to rooting for Jim and Austin firmly. It is so hard to make fire with a bowstring and in that damp weather, it was practically a miracle. I'm also growing fond of Ryan and Madeline... she's so cheerful and he's so grumpy looking half the time... but he seems to be a fairly capable survivalist, and her enthusiasm pulls the team together.
    It was nice to see Kyle and Royce win that feast pit. They were hilarious with the body spray. :p

Hmm. So Andrea slept in with Chris and Jeff? Yeah, I guess I understand that. Selfish, but I get it. Chris and Jeff made a poor decision there too, and I was glad to see Bear call them out on it.

I'm still enjoying this show, but I could do without the dramatic shots of Bear performing each task... we get it, he's the star of the show. I could care less.

ETA: I agree Bearcata, about the complaining. One team actually complained that the obstacle team didn't think about getting out the tarps earlier while they waited to cross the canyon. WTH? Can't you think of that yourselves? And complaining that Austin and Jim didn't get the fire fast enough. I'd have liked to seen almost anyone else be successful with that one. Yeesh. I would like to see Bear call them out on that... this blame game is quite silly.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 08-06-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    pikachu, Florimel and mushybrain like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Finally, Robin and Wilson are sent packing.

I'm still enjoying this show, but I could do without the dramatic shots of Bear performing each task... we get it, he's the star of the show. I could care less.
    Amen on both accounts! I'm glad I was wrong about Robin and Wilson being set up to win. I think even Bear finally had to admit they would never survive on their own. They struggle with pretty much every physical task and they don't listen to his advice. He specifically told them to make sure their shelter had the ground covered and they chose to disregard that. There's no need to tough it out in an ill-made shelter when you can make a well-built shelter and be relatively comfortable. Good attitude doesn't make up for stupid decisions.

I'm so over Bear. I can hardly "bear" him anymore! It's like this whole show is an ego trip for him, kind of like Tyra Banks having the models on America's Next Top Model recreating photo shoots she's done. I never heard of Bear before this show began and I don't really care for him.
    Florimel likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

+ Reply to Thread