+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 101
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

  1. #31
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,370

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    I also liked the last episode. I still don't like the fact Bear has the only vote on who goes home. Nothing in this episode like the urine from the last episode, something just for shock. Anyone would have issues hiking in those elevations. Lots of loose rocks makes it even harder.
    I thought the earthworms were like the urine from last episode. It didn't come down to eating the earthworms to get the feast, like in the case of the urine, but I felt it was there for shock value. They already got a lesson in finding a plant they could harvest for food so they would have at least had enough to survive on. The worms were just extra.

    Personally, I thought Wilson and Robin should have been eliminated. The other two teams (Esmerelda and Dominic, Canden and Donna) at least had one member (Canden and Dominic) who was strong. Both Wilson and Robin were weak. Even together, they wouldn't get out alive.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

  2. #32
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,947

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    I think the team that Esmerelda and Dominic were eliminated because she was sick the first challenge, and stayed sick. She didn't look healthy - the eyes were not just tired, they were the look of an ill person, so for her health and safety Bear had to eliminate them.

    Though I do agree - they were stronger than the other team, but Bear knows the challenges ahead and if he felt that she'd get to the point that she'd have to be medically evacuated if they stayed, he made the right choice. Looks like he may have this go.

  3. #33
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,370

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    I wonder if they have Port-A-Potties at their camp area? I would guess not, if they're supposed to be roughing it. I know I'm weird because I was thinking when the guy and girl were enjoying their feast, if I ate all that food, I'd have such a bad upset stomach and I wouldn't want to have to deal with that while I was camping!

    ***
    I looked it up and found a site that said when they began filming the show, they applied for permits to have a few camp structures, including toilets.
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-16-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

  4. #34
    FORT Fan marauder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    155

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I thought the earthworms were like the urine from last episode. It didn't come down to eating the earthworms to get the feast, like in the case of the urine, but I felt it was there for shock value. They already got a lesson in finding a plant they could harvest for food so they would have at least had enough to survive on. The worms were just extra.
    I think there is a little difference between having to eat earthworms and having to drink the urine. In the case of the urine he mixed the urine with a large amount of dirty water. If you had that much dirty water you didn't need the urine in the first place. Earthworms are a protein, the plant they found wasn't. When doing high altitude stuff, living on just plants unless you are supplementing with something like beans or some other plant that has protein isn't enough. Eating the earthworms or grub or other insect is actually helping you out.

  5. #35
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,087

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    I think there is a little difference between having to eat earthworms and having to drink the urine. In the case of the urine he mixed the urine with a large amount of dirty water. If you had that much dirty water you didn't need the urine in the first place. Earthworms are a protein, the plant they found wasn't. When doing high altitude stuff, living on just plants unless you are supplementing with something like beans or some other plant that has protein isn't enough. Eating the earthworms or grub or other insect is actually helping you out.
    I agree. They are also in this for the long haul. Sure, they get a little beans and rice at the base camp but if you are planning on winning, you're going to be hungry for a while. Would you eat worms after a couple of days in the wilderness with only rice and beans and some nasty root to eat? Maybe, maybe not. But if you knew you were going to be out there for a long time and working hard while you're at it, it would be smart to eat a few when you could get them.

    I've often wondered why people don't eat more bugs and worms on the show Survivor. I would probably look to catch them, kill them, then dehydrate them on some hot rocks throughout the day. Powder them up and add them to the rice. I would think that is a fairly palatable way to get more protein in your diet, and worth the effort too.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

  6. #36
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,571

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    I personally think drinking the urine is dumb and so was eating the earthworms. Was it really necessary they are not at the point were they really have to except for the ratings.

    I am a bit disturbed as Bear keeps saying this is about working together, use the brain, work smart not harder and helping others helps you look good in Bear's eyes and yet we see the confessionals where the other teams are knocking down Donna, Wilson and Esmaralda. Shouldn't there have been more encouragement and not the seemingly constant complaints from the stronger teams. This episode seems to be a step back for me.
    pikachu likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #37
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,823

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    I noticed that too Bearcata. And it seems the teams that the teams that are basically powering through with not a whole lot of regard to the other people are almost rewarded for it. Granted I don't watch particularly closely but I haven't seen Bear say yet that they are not looked good upon for all the complaining they do about the slower people or the people not used to hiking elevation like that.

    I'm also surprised that no one in the last epsidoe noted that it's not necessarily good for long term physical safety to go powering up and down that mountain because stepping in a hole and breaking an ankle because you're not making thoughtful, careful steps is a bigger problem than resting. And in fact encouraging exhaustion and not resting which is what some of those team mates were doing is not helpful for long term survival either.

    This last episode to me became more like a speed race to me than a "lets work as a team and survive" thing.

  8. #38
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,571

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I noticed that too Bearcata. And it seems the teams that the teams that are basically powering through with not a whole lot of regard to the other people are almost rewarded for it. Granted I don't watch particularly closely but I haven't seen Bear say yet that they are not looked good upon for all the complaining they do about the slower people or the people not used to hiking elevation like that.

    I'm also surprised that no one in the last epsidoe noted that it's not necessarily good for long term physical safety to go powering up and down that mountain because stepping in a hole and breaking an ankle because you're not making thoughtful, careful steps is a bigger problem than resting. And in fact encouraging exhaustion and not resting which is what some of those team mates were doing is not helpful for long term survival either.

    This last episode to me became more like a speed race to me than a "lets work as a team and survive" thing.
    Thanks for pointing that out. They were racing vs trying to survive and not get hurt.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  9. #39
    FORT Fan marauder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    155

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. They were racing vs trying to survive and not get hurt.
    i don't think they were racing. I think they were just not smart about hiking. Someone actually said that now that they were going downhill things would be easier. Anyone that has hiked for a long time knows that hiking down a mountain is usually harder then up. Going up both handholds and foot placement and position make it easier to haul packs. Downhill figuring out foot placement is harder and the weight of the pack tend to push you faster then you should be going. The way the group reacted to slow hikers was very similar to what I see in large backcountry groups. Concern for slower members even taking on some of their weight. But after awhile constant starting and stopping become detrimental to the entire group, even the ones having the problems. Usually if the push through the issue it is better in the long run.
    spockwhat likes this.

  10. #40
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,823

    Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

    Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    i don't think they were racing. I think they were just not smart about hiking. Someone actually said that now that they were going downhill things would be easier. Anyone that has hiked for a long time knows that hiking down a mountain is usually harder then up. Going up both handholds and foot placement and position make it easier to haul packs. Downhill figuring out foot placement is harder and the weight of the pack tend to push you faster then you should be going. The way the group reacted to slow hikers was very similar to what I see in large backcountry groups. Concern for slower members even taking on some of their weight. But after awhile constant starting and stopping become detrimental to the entire group, even the ones having the problems. Usually if the push through the issue it is better in the long run.
    This is one of the inherent issues with hiking with people of varying ability levels like these folks are. You will always have fast movers vs. slow movers. The reality is the fast movers in this case ended up setting a pace which was much too fast for the slow movers which caused more exhaustion and stress than what was necessary. It's one thing to push through it's an entirely other thing to be trying to keep up to the fast moving group at a level which is beyond your ability level and then push through on top of it. If they had a pack of slow movers all going the same pace and the fast movers going all the same pace some of this wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

    I'd hike up hill all day long but going down hill sucks. I can't do down hill fast. I have bad joints and know what my safety limits are and it's not moving fast. I don't rest but I don't move fast either going down hill. So put me with a bunch of fast moving down hillers and it's an issue. Put me in a group of slower down hillers and I'll do just fine. But if I try to keep up with those fast ones I'm putting a lot more stress on the joints and I'm wearing out faster if not getting injured.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.