+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

Debb70, although the two girls sent home were obviously out of their element, they were still in good physical condition. They had to bush-whack for three hours and no one in the group had to be carried most of the way.
    So, I think there may be a few people who are what one could call novices, but all of them seemed to be in fairly good physical condition and there are those in the group who obviously knew what they were doing... they will help support the group as a whole I think.

As for the deer, I found it a bit hokey, but my feeling is things will get tougher as the pack thins. I like that the group gets a day of rest between journeys... it will help prevent injuries.
    I expect the leftover food is eaten by Bear and the crew. Also, I didn't mind that they had to drink the pee... it may have not been a necessity, but it's a show about survival and the challenge related to that. I like that they are learning survival stuff along the way... about the pee and muddy water, how to deal with hypothermia... those kinds of things.

I'm making a lot of excuses for this show, but I REALLY want to like it and it to turn out well. I don't get 72 hours or Eco Challenge... so this is all I have. :cry
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Thanks for the update. I'll check it out soon. I hope it's available On Demand.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Debb70, although the two girls sent home were obviously out of their element, they were still in good physical condition. They had to bush-whack for three hours and no one in the group had to be carried most of the way.
    So, I think there may be a few people who are what one could call novices, but all of them seemed to be in fairly good physical condition and there are those in the group who obviously knew what they were doing... they will help support the group as a whole I think.

As for the deer, I found it a bit hokey, but my feeling is things will get tougher as the pack thins. I like that the group gets a day of rest between journeys... it will help prevent injuries.
    I expect the leftover food is eaten by Bear and the crew. Also, I didn't mind that they had to drink the pee... it may have not been a necessity, but it's a show about survival and the challenge related to that. I like that they are learning survival stuff along the way... about the pee and muddy water, how to deal with hypothermia... those kinds of things.

I'm making a lot of excuses for this show, but I REALLY want to like it and it to turn out well. I don't get 72 hours or Eco Challenge... so this is all I have. :cry
    Well you will be loving The CW's The Hunt that comes out later this month.

You can watch 72 hours on line at TNT Drama.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Thanks Bearcata! I will definitely catch up on 72 hours!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I liked the show. I like the cooperation aspect.

I also like the fact that Bear decides which team goes home. When the group determines who goes home (a la Survivor), they often vote out strong competitors, and it leads to alliance building I want to see the survival elements, not watch people building alliances. I can see the downside of Bear being the sole decision maker though - I guess ideally there should be two survival experts observing along with Bear who help make the decision.

Soon as I saw the dead deer I was out. Took it off the DVR. Lotsa' other stuff to watch like 72 Hours or Hero. I only do dead animals in the meat section at Safeway.

I always though drinking your urine was dumb:

6 Dangerous
    You can drink urine 1 to 2 times in an extreme emergency but remember, urine is how you water pass waste products out of your body. There is more water than waste products in a well hydrated individual however the ratio goes down as your hydration levels go down. Hence your urine will become darker colored as you become more dehydrated. To turn around and put those waste products back into your body and force it to process and filter them again causes more work and bogs your body systems down. This forces your body to need more water to complete the body processes and once again try and pass these waste products yet again, in addition to the new waste products created by the increased workload. It is a process of diminishing returns and eventually your body will shut itself down.

Liked that Bear said being smart not strong is what helps you survive.

I was surprised no one took the initiative to prep the meat for the next day. There was the question of where and how to store the food and if there were predatory animals that the team had to be aware of. It is good to see that Bear is not a stickler for folks only doing their assigned tasks. I am glad he took the guys who almost got hypothermia to task that there was a domino effect of the entire team being late to the camp, the shelter going up slowly and poorly and the deer being wasted because folks were taking care of them.

I thought it was a good episode... even better than last week. I found this week really showed who was lacking in conditioning to handle situations like this. I'm sure the minimum food that they are getting is really starting to play into the weaknesses coming out as well.

Once again, I feel Bear picked the absolute right team to go home. Boot spoiler just in case people were watching the Amazing Race Canada or something:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The mom who was also being considered had a tough time out there, but she is still so passionate about continuing. Esmerelda had checked out completely. I know a lot of viewers here aren't happy Bear makes the sole decision, but as long as he keeps making the right ones, I'm ok with it.

The beauty of NewZealand really came to the forefront this week as they hiked the mountains. I was so jealous!

I also liked the last episode. I still don't like the fact Bear has the only vote on who goes home. Nothing in this episode like the urine from the last episode, something just for shock. Anyone would have issues hiking in those elevations. Lots of loose rocks makes it even harder.

+ Reply to Thread