+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

Not a big fan of Bear, but I rather liked it. Will watch again.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

As some one who loves the Amazing Race I decided to give this show a chance. I liked most of it but I don't like the fact who gets sent home is solely determined by Bear. I prefer the Amazing Race format where there isn't anything subjective about being sent home.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

At least Bear chose the right ones to send home! The two ladies were not contributing.

What I like about the first episode:
    It's tough. The journey was not an easy one and they had various elements (cold water, tough hiking, providing fire, food, and shelter) that they had to face.
    I like the Amazing Race (if you are last you lose) and Survivor formats (contestants vote each other out), but I'm glad this show is different. There is less of a competitive quality to the show and more of a focus on group survival.
    New Zealand!

What I didn't like:
    I'm not a huge fan of Bear either, but he didn't annoy me too much... I'll wait to see how that goes.
    Relating to this show being different from Survivor and the Race; I like that it's different and requires cooperation from the contestants, however, I am concerned that there will be too much of kissing a la Bear's butt to stay ahead. Knowing you're being spied on changes the flavour of the journey a little. I suppose the challenge of the journeys will eventually bring out everyone's
    flaws though. It already seems to be wearing on the girl who got sick, Esmerelda (?)
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Bearcata, Ecochallenge! Thanks. I didn't watch all of it... we got it on a station when we were vacationing one year. I loved it.
    Florimel and Debb70 like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Having the contestants drink their own pee just to prove a point about survival was gross and unnecessary.

I didn't like that nobody woke up the food people to cook the rest of the deer meat or went ahead and cooked it themselves. What a waste of resources! Maybe they did deserve to drink their own pee for that.

Another waste of resources was the feast for the two guys. There was way more food than they could eat and I wondered what they did with what was left behind. Was that given to the crew filming the episode? I hope it wasn't just discarded.

And I agree that the right people were sent home. Those two girls did nothing all day. I don't know why they even applied for the show or how they got accepted.

One positive thing--I did like that the teams were to work together. I think your chances of survival are greater in a group, as long as every member of the group performs a role and does their fair share of the work. It was nice to see people supporting each other instead of sabotaging other teams.

I'll probably still watch it unless there's something better on at the same time but it's nowhere good as Survivor or The Amazing Race.

I wasn't familiar with the host and I don't care for him based on what I've seen so far.
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-09-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    At least Bear chose the right ones to send home! but I'm glad this show is different. There is less of a competitive quality to the show and more of a focus on group survival. ...
    however, I am concerned that there will be too much of kissing a la Bear's butt to stay ahead. Knowing you're being spied on changes the flavour of the journey a little.
    My main complaint as I said before is that the show is to subjective. Other then who wins, Bear has total decision on who goes home. I think the format would be a little better if there was some type of points system (whether the contestants know the point system or not) or outright challenges that you win or lose, taking the subjective factor out. Maybe doing like they do on a few other reality shows where the games/challenges/etc. narrow it down to two and then Bear makes the ultimate choice. Part of Amazing Race's appeal is that anyone can do it, alliances may help but aren't required, and there is no need to "kiss-butt" with either the judges or the other contestants. Yes, they need someway to judge cooperation with other teams, but not in a way that is totally subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Bearcata, Ecochallenge! Thanks. I didn't watch all of it... we got it on a station when we were vacationing one year. I loved it.
    Ecochallenge is repairing on GAMETV on Wednesdays. The first and/or second season only. Not sure how much longer it will be on.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Not a big fan of Bear, but I rather liked it. Will watch again.
    I'm not a big fan of beer anymore either. Grylls has been accused of half-assing his shows in the past, and I kinda feel like he's doing it again. Compared to Survivor, this show is similar, but if the teams really needed to survive on their own, there would be no deer awaiting, and I'm almost certain of no pee drinking. My money would be on someone figuring that river-run water is tastier. Boiled just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the reminder of the "Eco Challenge" upthread and that it's being aired again. I LOVED that contest and used to believe I could win it!

I missed Get Out Alive with Grylls, but will catch up On Demand. So, the contestants are not true, trained and fit adventure seekers who know what they are doing? Why? IMO, it's much more interesting to watch people who know how to do all the things that Grylls does. Watching novices try to tough it is just not interesting, IMO.

I've seen that type of show with regular folk that they planted in Alaska and expected to survive with not much of anything. It's not amusing, because it's not feasible. Even subsistance dwellers who live in Alaska who have years of experience hunting and trapping have a difficult time surviving, even with their dogs, sleds, snow machines, traps, firearms, radios, and electricity! lol To expect a novice who can't even read a compass to survive in extreme conditions is just pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Evande View Post
    I'm almost certain of no pee drinking. My money would be on someone figuring that river-run water is tastier. Boiled just to be on the safe side.
    Yes, the challenge did not make any sense. If you had as much dirty water as he added to the canteen with the urine you wouldn't need the urine in the first place. He wasn't teaching survival here, he was just doing it for the shock value. I also wonder what would happen if it didn't just happen to be that two of the people on the show knew how to field dress a deer.
    pikachu likes this.

+ Reply to Thread