+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls (NBC Mon 9/8c)

It was Lucky and Louie. The only reason I can figure they won is because they didn't stick their neck out. They didn't help cross the river, they didn't lead with the GPS, they weren't able to make fire, and they left a team behind. What winners.

Why were Jim and Austin criticized for not continuing to search for the flint that broke and told they should have searched all night because it was their "lifeline", but Lucky and Louie are not criticised for not continuing to try to light a fire with their flint that was WORKING?

Based on the challenges of this episode, Jeff and Chris SHOULD have won the 500,000 dollars. The other two teams would have frozen to death.

And apparently Louie was always upbeat. Sure, when she wasn't putting down other teams or talking behind other people's backs...

I gave this show every chance. I won't watch again. I always knew Bear was a grade a ass, but I put that aside in hopes for some kind of decent show. What a waste of time!
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

FORT Newbie

Not happy with the outcome, if there's a season two, I doubt i'll be watching.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Yeah well I too hope that it won't be having a second season.

I won't watch a second season based on the fact alone that I don't understand the criteria to judge who did good and bad. Is it a team thing or an individual contest? Period.

I ended up watching (passively) this episode so I missed some details... a lot of the details. I would be thinking who cares about a single lost/broken flint when there is still a flint among the group honestly if I was in that situation. I wouldn't be staying up all night to search for something when the goal is to survive and get out alive as a group (allegedly). I'd use the existing flint and call it good before I expend even more energy looking for a lost one.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I liked Expedition Impossible better than this show. I wish they would give it another season.

Honestly, all three had a major survival issue fault:

1. Lucky and Louie - they had trouble lighting the fire. Even with flint and steel it is difficult to light a fire. There is a chance that it was a bad flint.

2. Jim and Austin - they lost their handle for the flint striker. Here, which Bear didn't mention, they could've used their knife if they couldn't find the handle.

3. Jeff and Chris - once again, they put their health in danger by NOT creating a raft that kept them all above the water.

If I were judging, Jeff and Chris would've been out because they did something they were told could kill them in a real situation (getting themselves wet, which could freeze if they didn't have dry clothes.

I personally would've gone with Jim and Austin myself because their mistake was the most minor of the three team's (they had a way to backup their missing holder if they thought about it) and they won three survival challenges.

The only reason I think Lucky and Louie won was because they showed the most improvement and listened to Bear. It was partially egoism on his part, but they show enough to win.

If they do get a second season, they need to format it as far as the finale - with Bear having a second impartial (meaning he hadn't seen the teams' work during the season) survivalist, come and after observing, given Bear insight he may not see himself, and then use that in the decision. Or, let the second survivalist make the decision (i.e. Bear in this case is more of the "boot camp drill sergeant")

Eh. Agree with you all. This show had no clear cut criteria as to who should be the winner. Honestly it could have gone to any of the three finalists and it doesn't seem right that Lucky and Louie got all the loot, $500K, while the other team didn't even get to keep their knives. That BG knife is $48 at Wal-Mart. I think Chris/Jeff and Jim/Austin should have at the very least been able to keep the knives as a souvenir for making it to the end.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

According to Bear the criteria for winning the competition is to show you are the team that, if his kids were stranded in the jungle without him, they would be the team he'd want alongside them... that's who he'd want to depend on to get them out alive. While I absolutely loved Lucky and Louie as well as Jim and Austin, for me, the clear choice, based on the stated criteria, was Chris and Jeff. Not, as some would say, because they were stronger physically than the others. (We saw time and again that Jeff's prior injuries were a hinderance to his team) There was an intangible there that made me believe Chris and Jeff would do whatever it took to help others, often before themselves. For me I frequently felt that with Jim and Austin it was all about them winning. With Lucky and Louie I simply didn't believe they had anything left to offer others.

Overall I enjoyed the season. However, like many of you I doubt I'll watch a second season. If, in the end, Grylls is going to make the PC decision, then everything that happened with the previous episodes is negated. Too bad! I though the show had promise.
    Kip, spockwhat and wannasee like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    According to Bear the criteria for winning the competition is to show you are the team that, if his kids were stranded in the jungle without him, they would be the team he'd want alongside them... that's who he'd want to depend on to get them out alive. While I absolutely loved Lucky and Louie as well as Jim and Austin, for me, the clear choice, based on the stated criteria, was Chris and Jeff. Not, as some would say, because they were stronger physically than the others. (We saw time and again that Jeff's prior injuries were a hinderance to his team) There was an intangible there that made me believe Chris and Jeff would do whatever it took to help others, often before themselves. For me I frequently felt that with Jim and Austin it was all about them winning. With Lucky and Louie I simply didn't believe they had anything left to offer others.

Overall I enjoyed the season. However, like many of you I doubt I'll watch a second season. If, in the end, Grylls is going to make the PC decision, then everything that happened with the previous episodes is negated. Too bad! I though the show had promise.
    Pretty much sums up my opinion also
    Hurting you is the last thing I want to do... but it's still on the list

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Uncle David, I think you nailed it on the head right there. Chris and Jeff seemed a bit hasty sometimes, but they were always willing to go the extra mile. Something that certainly could not be said for Lucky and Louie.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock
    1. Lucky and Louie - they had trouble lighting the fire. Even with flint and steel it is difficult to light a fire. There is a chance that it was a bad flint.
    That excuse isn't working since they actually had flame at one point, but the fire went out. Their problem with fire was keeping it going, and since Chris and Jeff had one, they gave up. I guess Bear didn't think about his kids sitting in the wet, dark, and cold eating raw heart when he picked the winner.
    pikachu and Uncle David like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

So overquoted but still so true, just 'don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang.'

+ Reply to Thread