+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

Watched the first episode of this show last night and it was strangely compelling. Two strangers, a male and a female, dopped into the middle of nowhere, naked, with only one survival item each, for 21 days. The first episode featured a 40-year-old man and a 23-year-old woman and no, there was no hanky-panky involved. No cash prizes or anything, just the glory of surviving. This episode was in a Costa Rica rain forest complete with snakes. I really liked it and will definitely watch again.

From Huffington Post:

"It's one thing to be left in the middle of nowhere with a complete stranger, without water or food ... but to be without clothes, too? Yep, Discovery Channel went there.

We've got an exclusive sneak peek at "Naked & Afraid" (premieres Sun., June 23 at 10:20 p.m. ET, moving to its regular timeslot of 10 p.m. on Sun., June 30), their new stripped-down version of a survival reality show -- literally. The show follows a new male/female pair of contestants each week, always complete strangers, as they're stranded together for 21 days in the wild.

How quickly will they get over being naked in front of a stranger, and the world? What kind of crazy things will we see for their one allotted personal item? And will anyone make a love connection in these bizarre circumstances? Crazier things have happened ... the clip above with EJ and Kellie makes blowing on embers to start a fire look oddly sexual."

'Naked & Afraid': Discovery's New Survival Show Even Takes Contestants' Clothes Away (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

I watched this last night!

I have to say I wasn't too impressed with the people's survival skills, especially the girl since she was a survival instructor. In the first 9 days, they had only a snake to eat. Then she got food poisoning, which I assume was from eating the snake or the turtle she caught later undercooked.

If those two had to stay in the jungle longer than 21 days, they would have starved. They only survived because they had enough fat on them to get by with minimal food.

If I was them, I would have made a priority of making some type of clothing, at least shoes. Going over rough terrain in bare feet was painful and opened them up to insect bites, infection, etc, and some type of clothing, even just leaves strapped on them, would have given them some protection from the sun, the insects, etc. If the guy had had foot coverings, he might have been able to run fast enough to catch the pig he was after.

I also would have tried to construct weapons. Catching birds by hand is next to impossible but with a spear, they had a chance of getting them. A spear would have been handy for fishing and killing snakes if they got too close to camp.

In addition, I would have set up camp closer to the extraction zone. They could have made the trek to it when they first entered the jungle and were still relatively well fed and high energy instead of waiting until they were depleted at the end to get there. The waterfall would have made a handy place to clean up and maybe in the higher areas they might have found fruit trees. I couldn't believe they couldn't find any edible plants. I don't know if they even looked.

I felt that the show gave them a higher survival scores than they deserved, especially the girl.

I hope the next couple they choose does a better job than the first pair.

I watched this and have also watched Naked Survivor, it is much harder to create a shelter and other things without out food and water and fire. I noticed that on the Discovery channel folks left comments how easy it would be to create a shelter the one commentator sounded like he was building a fort. On Naked Survivor it took several days to fell a small tree maybe 4 or 5 inches in diameter with a stone implement. Total exposure to rain 24/7 naked, with no fire and no clothes is not easy.

I am surprised that the girl did not try to make some fishing nets or snares as she was able to weave some coverings for the pair.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I was also really surprised that they didn't look for leaves or berries to eat. I kept saying, "they are surrounded by salad!" Why wouldn't they eat any of it? There had to be some snails and other small animals.

We also didn't understand why they didn't get to the extraction area first, like you Pikachu.

The machete could have been tied to the end of a stick to make a spear.

I thought the girl had the patience of a saint to put up with the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I was also really surprised that they didn't look for leaves or berries to eat. I kept saying, "they are surrounded by salad!" Why wouldn't they eat any of it? There had to be some snails and other small animals.

We also didn't understand why they didn't get to the extraction area first, like you Pikachu.

The machete could have been tied to the end of a stick to make a spear.

I thought the girl had the patience of a saint to put up with the guy.
    Yeah, for a survivor person he sure was very snippy.
    Cornholio likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

EXCLUSIVE - Naked and Afraid and how FAKE? Survival show contestant 'was secretly given IV drip and baby food after getting ill from eating a turtle' - but viewers were not told | Mail Online

The article also says the guy broke 3 of his toes a couple of days into the challenge. He was upset that this wasn't stated in the show - they apparently showed him moaning and gave no explanation.

I don't know why they'd hide this stuff. I used to watch Man Woman Wild and I remember at least once the wife needed medical attention because of dehydration. And on the recent short series were a guy survived alone on an island for 60 days, he called for medical attention because of food poisoning. Seeing these people call for help didn't make me like the shows any less - it just highlights the severity of problems encountered in survival situations.
    candor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    EXCLUSIVE - Naked and Afraid and how FAKE? Survival show contestant 'was secretly given IV drip and baby food after getting ill from eating a turtle' - but viewers were not told | Mail Online

The article also says the guy broke 3 of his toes a couple of days into the challenge. He was upset that this wasn't stated in the show - they apparently showed him moaning and gave no explanation.

I don't know why they'd hide this stuff. I used to watch Man Woman Wild and I remember at least once the wife needed medical attention because of dehydration. And on the recent short series were a guy survived alone on an island for 60 days, he called for medical attention because of food poisoning. Seeing these people call for help didn't make me like the shows any less - it just highlights the severity of problems encountered in survival situations.
    Well the info would have been helpful..it would have explained a bit of the snappish behavior. It really wasn't necessary to exclude the info and make one of the people look rather difficult to deal with.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Caught a couple of episodes of this while channel-surfing last night. I was surprised at how quickly the food poisoning victim perked up; reading that she was given IV fluids makes her recovery more understandable. I've had severe food poisoning in a civilized environment, and nearly had to be hospitalized. It's nothing to fool around with.

Her partner was a piece of work. Not surprised that he's single.

After about 3 seconds of consideration, hubby and I agreed that this is NOT a show either of us would want to be chosen for!

I watched as well and also wondered why they didn't go right to the extraction point. They did make mention of the executive producer being bit by a posionous snake. I still question why they were so dirty given the fact they were next to water the entire time.
    The was also a second episode where the coule were stranded in the African bush. The guy had an injury to his foot that became infected & they showed medical assistance helping.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

It seems to me that they're either going to have to start letting the couples have shoes or leave them with materials to make shoes. On both episodes, at least one person has ended up with a serious foot injury from lack of footwear.

And once again, I was less than impressed by the people's survival skills.

I felt sorry for this couple because they didn't have the abundant water source the first couple had. All they had was that little, murky pond. I was surprised there were any fish in that muck!

I hope they eventually get a couple on there who really know how to live day to day out in the wild, not barely scraping by like the couples so far. If they're smart about making clothing and weapons, tending the fire, and hunting and gathering, they shouldn't have to go days without eating and be hobbling around from preventable injuries.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast