+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

Watched the premiere and it was so great to see EJ and Laura back. That was a really excellent boat they built, wasn't it? I loved how they had two seats to sit on and a little jolly roger flag flying.

EJ and Laura were shown eating the water from a vine, so is that what they drank the whole time? They really needed a pot to boil water in! Too bad they couldn't just "find" one like the couple with the gators in the Louisiana swamp did!

I was also wondering about the mosquitos. After what happened to Manu, I wouldn't want to be getting hundreds of mosquito bites in the jungle.
    Knowing what you know about this environment... these people desperately needed mosquito spray!
    Kip and jenniferboston1 like this.

^ Didn't see any comments previously and not sure if they mentioned on the show, I need to watch again. But my BF is a vector borne disease control scientist and when I told him about Manu, he said that if she got that sick, it means it was a 2nd exposure...a 1st exposure is the typical symptoms but a 2nd from a different serotype causes extreme illness...with about a 50% mortality rate! No desire by me to be around too many mosquitos!!!

Also loved seeing EJ and Laura again, what an episode! Just started watching the newest but it's late and I likely won't finish it. Have some preliminary thoughts on the survivalists but waiting to see other comments. Just some really unexpected comments/thoughts/expectations (of family members not there!)...
    Cornholio likes this.

Episode 2 - Madagascar - March 23, 2014

Jeff and Eva - seem to be two totally opposite types in how they approach survival. While I am all for being holistic and respectful of the environment I would have taken the bird's nest to use as tinder as long as it was abandoned. I am jut a couple minutes into this episode but have watched the Naked After Dark segment. The majority of the Naked After Dark segment is a waste of time and rather juvenile but it's worth watching for deleted segments and to hear the participants explain some points.

I was surprised how steppe like Madagascar was, I guess I expected a more jungle like environment.
    Cornholio, Kiz and wannasee like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Finished the episode and this one really kinda surprised me. I really would think that the persons selected would have a good grip on what they'll need to do to survive. Completely agree, Bearcata, especially a non-active birds nest would be tinder, black widows would be burned out if it meant my survival...I'd cuddle for body heat no matter my religious views. (And shame on that wife, for making him promise not to!) I can only hope that if I'm ever in this situation, I will know not to overcook the snake meat. So glad they made it, though!
    Kiz likes this.

Just watched the latest episode - Fiji. Kudos to the ginger girl, Alana, for surviving Fiji ALONE for 10 days after her partner tapped out and completing! I think she was the first contestant ever to finish the challenge alone after the partner left. She was wearing fake eyelashes but don't mistake her for a girly-girl! Eating termite worms and live crabs - way to go! And wow, that guy partner sure was a wussy. He wanted to tap out well before his medical issue.

Caught up on all of the Naked After Dark episodes. These are the after shows interviewing the cast and adding interesting tidbits. Some of it is dumb and some informative. I learned how important it is to know how to cook the food you do catch. You can boil or grill anything and those are the two best methods of retaining the most nutrients. The cooking over a spit and too high over the fire is one of the worst ways to cook. Water boils at 212 degrees. Bacteria is killed at 165 degrees. So all you need to do in pop food into boiling water for 5 to 10 seconds and all the bacteria is killed.

Finally finished the Madagascar episode. Jeff is an idiot. Overly aggressive. If you destroy the land you will have nothing to live off of. There is only so much land on the globe. He hates feminists. Well, she is the one who found both snakes and killed the first one. You basically charcoaled the first one and god knows what with the second. As a team they were the most successful as far as catching food. Two good sized snakes and a lizard, yet they were also the most incompetent in actually turning what they caught into food. Oh, they did find the eggs.

What is fun about the After Dark show is that it turns out both team members are much more respectful of each other now that both have gone through the same experience.

Episode 3 - Fiji - March 30, 2014

Alana and Keith - my DVR cut out before the mentioned what Alanna's PSR was at the end of the show anyone know and what did they give Keith?

It seemed easier on Alana after Keith left. He sure liked to expend a lot of energy ex: chopping down a palm tree. Liked how Alanna made an outfit out of his burlap bag.

Episode 4 - Belize - April 6, 2014

Shannon and Cass - wow - Shannon got scary skinny. She made some get shoes but they only showed it on the After Show.

Human Beings what Apex Predators they can kill snakes. At least this pair knew how to cook it and not turn it into charcoal. Hope you were watching Jeff from Madagascar.

PS: they did have medical intervention to get the ticks out of their eyes.

Wished they had shown more of Shannon's weavings and creations. She made a pair of really cool slippers. What happened to them?

It is interesting that the women seem to pick up on learning about plants and learning about how to create cord/string and learn how to make things out that like clothes and snares but the males don't ever seem to pick up on those skill sets. Well I did think I saw one guy in season 1 weave together a fish trap.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Oh, shoot, didn't even know this was back on. I'm sure I'll find it somewhere... 4 episodes behind, I guess.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

+ Reply to Thread