+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

So I just watched the Naked and Afraid Bares All for the episode with Forrest, Cassie, Manu & (I forget the other guys name). It was really good - it showed a lot of previously unaired footage interspersed with interviews with each of them at home after the fact. Poor Manu will be recovering for a lot longer from Dengue fever and is using a walker. Hard to believe. Manu and Cassie looked amazing with make-up on. Manu and her guy will be life-long friends for sure. As bad as she was, Cassie learned a lot from the experience and is hopefully a better person for it. Forest commented that Cassie probably signed on just to slim down and get a tan on a free beach vacation, LOL.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I was just coming here to comment on Naked and Afraid Bares All. I didn't realize it had aired before. This is the first time I saw it. I didn't remember there being an episode where to two teams met up. I wonder if they didn't show that part of it or if I just missed that episode.

Apparently season two will be starting soon.

I still can't help think when I'm watching the show that though I'm no survival expert, I'm sure I'd do better than some of those people. It's mind-boggling the stupid decision they make. My first priority would be fashioning some shoes. They wouldn't have to be anything complicated--just a relatively flat plank of wood strapped to my feet with vines. With shoes, you can avoid sharp objects and rough and hot surfaces so you can move faster. Next, I would look for a spot to set up camp and try to get a fire started right away. Then, I would want to find water and get it boiling so I'd have something to drink.

I can't get over the couples who never make shoes, who don't drink hardly any water until they're dehydrated, and who don't start looking for food until they're hungry. A little planning ahead will definitely make your time outdoors more comfortable and less stressful.

I wonder about the sameramen. Do they have a little tent they can set up while filming? Because sometimes the shelter the couples make is too little or too shoddy for them to be able to sit in it with them. I would also assume the camera crew has snacks with them (like granola bars) or they take turns filming every few hours so they can get out of the elements, get something to eat, and sleep. Otherwise, they would have it rougher than the couples on the show. I mean, I'm sure they have a base camp but I just wondered if they have any setup on the spot with the couples they're filming.
    Cornholio likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I was just coming here to comment on Naked and Afraid Bares All. I didn't realize it had aired before. This is the first time I saw it. I didn't remember there being an episode where to two teams met up. I wonder if they didn't show that part of it or if I just missed that episode.

Apparently season two will be starting soon.

I still can't help think when I'm watching the show that though I'm no survival expert, I'm sure I'd do better than some of those people. It's mind-boggling the stupid decision they make. My first priority would be fashioning some shoes. They wouldn't have to be anything complicated--just a relatively flat plank of wood strapped to my feet with vines. With shoes, you can avoid sharp objects and rough and hot surfaces so you can move faster. Next, I would look for a spot to set up camp and try to get a fire started right away. Then, I would want to find water and get it boiling so I'd have something to drink.

I can't get over the couples who never make shoes, who don't drink hardly any water until they're dehydrated, and who don't start looking for food until they're hungry. A little planning ahead will definitely make your time outdoors more comfortable and less stressful.

I wonder about the sameramen. Do they have a little tent they can set up while filming? Because sometimes the shelter the couples make is too little or too shoddy for them to be able to sit in it with them. I would also assume the camera crew has snacks with them (like granola bars) or they take turns filming every few hours so they can get out of the elements, get something to eat, and sleep. Otherwise, they would have it rougher than the couples on the show. I mean, I'm sure they have a base camp but I just wondered if they have any setup on the spot with the couples they're filming.
    The two couples meeting up by the waterfall was shown on the original broadcast, so you must have missed that one.

Foot protection, water and shelter would be the top of my list too. Often, they don't have a pot as one of their two survival items. Without a pot, unless they can find a fresh and hopefully clean water source, they're pretty much facing major dehydration or drinking contaminated water. I did see that the teams bring several survival items and production picks the item they can bring to camp from those. I would hope that a fresh water supply is available, if the team can find it, when they're not given a pot as one of their two survival tools.

I was very surprised that the camera crew camps away from the couple at night. In Africa, the first night, the team didn't have much of a shelter or even a fire, and one of them mentioned that they would be doing the filming themselves after nightfall since the camera crew would be off at their own camp.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Season 2 starts Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 9pm ET to 10:15pm on Discovery. mmmm and extra 15 minutes.
    momrek06 and wannasee like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

There will be a marathon of the Naked and Afraid episodes starting at 4pm until the season 2 premiere. There will also be a Naked in the Dark after show after the premiere. If you miss either one they repeat right after. I luv that the cable shows repeat airings during the night as Sunday is usually top heavy with shows folks watch all on at the same time. VCRs and DVRs can only do so much.
    momrek06, Moontat and Cornholio like this.

The first episode of Naked and Afraid season 2.

The first male contestant basically stepped off the boat took one look and backed out. Second male lasted 5 days and bowed out. The first female is also gone but I am not sure what happened. Then two cast members from season 1 are back and complete the mission.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

It is funny though how the contestants backed out...didn't they see the first season? Did they really not understand what the show was about? Being completed naked without provisions? I personally don't like to be outside when it's warm/hot without bugspray and a hat. I would NEVER go on this show!!! That being said, I commended the season 1 contestants for stepping in. They made a super team!

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    It is funny though how the contestants backed out...didn't they see the first season? Did they really not understand what the show was about? Being completed naked without provisions? I personally don't like to be outside when it's warm/hot without bugspray and a hat. I would NEVER go on this show!!! That being said, I commended the season 1 contestants for stepping in. They made a super team!
    They really did make a great team. I was super impressed. I was worried once he cut his leg in that environment.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

Just watched the entire first episode and the aftershow Naked After Dark and a couple of videos online. I do think EJ and Laura are a great team as their temperaments and personalities really mesh well together. They can talk to each other and not bark, and they handle their confrontations well. AK the female who left after 4 days said she would luv to go again. Both EJ and Laura said that their bodies were really wiped out by the experience as EJ got the stomach flu right after and just recovering from the physical deprivation can take up to 90 days to get your metabolism back to where it was before the challenge. Both said that the mental challenge was the toughest part of the challenge.

How come it only took EJ and Laura a day to start a fire with a firestarter yet it took AK and Tyler at least 3 days?

EJdid say he wished he had had a mosquito net.

A knife and firestarter seem to be the top two survival items to have, if they could have a third one they would have a covered pot of some kind to boil water in.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    J
    How come it only took EJ and Laura a day to start a fire with a firestarter yet it took AK and Tyler at least 3 days?
    Disclaimer: All I know about the "outdoors" is that it's the space between the air-conditioned mall and my car.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of Survivor, and I loved the movie, "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks. Even I know that there has to be oxygen for a fire to burn. It looked like AK was holding the firestarter way too deep into the nest of dry twigs, so there was no oxygen to feed the spark.

Please feel free to correct this city slicker if she's wrong . . . but gently.
    Cornholio likes this.

+ Reply to Thread