+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    The second shelter they built was really bad-ass. It was like a perfect little troll house, with the door and the inside fireplace.

I was shocked that they ate the dead bird. I guess it was OK though!
    The interviewer in the after interview also asked that. In fact he said that they polled several survival experts and asked if they should have eaten that dead bird and all of them said no. Both Phaedra and Hakim said that the bird was found in area that they used to get water and that it hadn't been their earlier that morning. They felt the bird and it was solid and not mushy therefore being a recent death. Also when they were preparing the bird to eat they checked out its organs and its blood and it again seemed like a very recent death so they ate it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

New episode for Labor Day weekend but it's about snakes.

I thought the Snaketacular (sp) episode was interesting...I've never seen a blue snake before. That was pretty cool.

I've always been amazed that with all the vast variety and sheer number of snakes that there aren't more bites.
    Kip and jenniferboston1 like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I watched the first part of last night's show that was in Nicauragua (I think). I fell asleep after about 20 min (no fault of the show, I had been up since 4:30 am). Anyway, the guy chose duct tape for his one survival item. That was a change up. It was a bright color and he used it to mark the machete handle so it would be easier to find if they dropped it, made a cup for water, and made a bikini for the girl. I wondered if he was using too much of it at the beginning for non-survival purposes. That was nice of him to make the cover ups for his partner, but IMO that would be better done after water, food, shelter, water, and warmth were taken care of.
    wannasee likes this.

That was different. I made it a little longer than you, but didn't see how it ended. I did see that the man had to tap out...did I hear correctly that he was undergoing nicotine withdrawal in that environment? As a former smoker, I don't think it'd be adviseable to go cold turkey in a situation like that. It's too bad because they seemed to be a pretty good match. :-( Can someone say if the woman made it? I heard them say it would be the longest anyone went solo, if she did.

She lasted the 21 days. The longest any person has been by herself. She thought about tapping out, but took a step back and regrouped with herself.
    wannasee likes this.
    There's no place like home!

Kiz

I was very impressed she made it to the end by herself. I don't think she ever was able to start a fire. Spending the night alone, in the dark, in the forest, with critters scurrying around would be enough to send me packing.
    Moontat likes this.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Episode 8 Nicaragua Nightmare - 9/7/14

Southern Nicaragua swampy jungles near the San Juan River.

Dangers: fresh water cayman, poisonous spiders, venomous snakes, insects, Howler and Spider monkeys

Amanda - 33 yr - country girl, independent, loner - Texas
    Tool - machete
    Height - 5' 7"
    Weight - 155lbs
    PSR - 5.8
    Weight after 21 days - 134lbs - lost 21 lbs
    PSR after 21 days 6.3

Joshua - 27 yr - gunsmith, redneck, smoker North Carolina

Tool role of blue duck tape
    Height - 5' 5"
    Weight - 149 lbs
    PSR 6.1
    Weight after 21 days - ?
    PSR after 21 days - 4.3

Tapped out on Day 5 - constant vomiting for 2 to 3 days - also experiencing withdrawal from nicotine. Regrets tapping out and still trying to quit smoking.

I wasn't initially impressed with Joshua as he does come across as an arrogant redneck, "Nature is my bitch". Funny thing is he did get along with Amanda and maybe on a one to one basis is a nice, easy going guy. Then he would say something and come across like a bigoted a__hole. Just saying. I personally don't like it when the guys come out and have the "Nature is my bitch" attitude, and it's kinda nice to sit back and watch how well or not so well that person does. At first I did not know what to think about the duck tape and at times I thought he was using too much, but the cup, blanket, brassiere and panties, and wrapping the shaft of the machete were actually smart things to do. In fact I could see them creating a tarp out of the duck tape. Both were horrible shelter builders especially compared to the hut and covered fireplace the previous couple built in the Himalayas. I did like the well they built in the mud. I do think they are the first couple to find fruit (pineapples and plantains) and also the first couple not to be able to build a fire.
    Moontat and Cornholio like this.

Forgot to add that Amanda is the first person to last the longest; at 16 days, by herself.

+ Reply to Thread