+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

It's interesting to see but it looks as if the best partnerships are the ones where the male does not let his ego and pride overtake how he deals with his partner and the situation. Adam and Jaclyn are two totally different people with two totally different survival philosophies yet neither denigrated the others beliefs or how they did things. Most times we see the male be an arrogant a$$hole who won't listen to their partner, doesn't respect their beliefs or skillsets. Occasionally its the female ala Carrie from last weeks episode. The majority of the time you see the female partner is the one trying to be the patient one and holding their tongue. I also liked how both Adam and Jaclyn did their own exploratory trips where they tried to use either Adam's hunting skills or Jaclyn's plant identification skills. I also like how they are showing the participants at home right before they leave on their trips. It's a nice touch. I also like how Jaclyn picked a fire starter as her tool even though she knows how to make a primitive fire. I wonder how much time each team has to research the area they are going to be living in for 21 days and if that knowledge affects what tools they pick. It looks as if the producers have a say in the items as I have yet to see a team with two knifes or two fire starters.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Watched the new one last night....freezing cold in Argentina! The woman was clearly smarter than the man, but the man had too much ego to listen to her suggestions or give her credit for her ideas. She was very patient and they did have a supportive partnership by the end. Good show! Odd, though there was no mention of them drinking water and drinking was never shown on this episode. Unless I missed it!

Do the people on this win anything?
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Do the people on this win anything?
    The win the ego boost of knowing they survived 21 days Naked and Afraid and 15 minutes of fame.
    captain and jenniferboston1 like this.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Watched the new one last night....freezing cold in Argentina! The woman was clearly smarter than the man, but the man had too much ego to listen to her suggestions or give her credit for her ideas. She was very patient and they did have a supportive partnership by the end. Good show! Odd, though there was no mention of them drinking water and drinking was never shown on this episode. Unless I missed it!
    My husband and I were talking about the fact that there wasn't a whole lot of mention of them eating/drinking. It was mostly focused on surviving the cold and wetness. I am guessing because of all the rain they just caught rain and drank it?
    Cornholio likes this.
    Wake up and be awesome

Lately it seems like most of the contestants are wilderness survival teachers. I guess they just want to be on the show for bragging rights and so they can say it on their advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Lately it seems like most of the contestants are wilderness survival teachers. I guess they just want to be on the show for bragging rights and so they can say it on their advertising?
    Considering how some of these folks behave I don't think they are getting good advertising for their businesses.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

I'm way behind, just watched Cambodia. I agree with the assessments of both contestants and it makes me wonder, when that behind the scenes show said how hard they worked to come up with good matches between contestants? I will say, my poor opinion of both started with the initial introductions...they both came off kind of prissy to me, but I honestly had a really negative impression of - what was her name, Carrie? - right from the start. Cannot imagine her in the Corps. Although she was correct in some of her assessment of the man, I just really couldn't handle her personality or way of dealing with things. And like Uncle David said, I think, I enjoy seeing them work together, despite the hardships and obstacles...not tear into each other.

Episode 4 - Jungle Love - 7/21/14

Central Nicaraguan Rain Forest elevation 2,500 ft

Dangers pumas, poisonous snakes and spiders.

Jaclyn - 25 yr old teaches Primitive Skills, 2 yrs a vegetarian, from Mesa, Arizona
    Tool - fire starter
    Height - 5' 11"
    Weight - 160 lbs
    PSR - 7.1
    Weight after 21 days - 142 lbs - lost 18 lbs
    PSR after 21 days - 7.5

Adam - 29 yr old hunter, wild game guide, from Melbourne, Florida
    Tool - machete
    Height - 5' 11"
    Weight - 205lbs
    PSR - 7.3
    Weight after 21 days - 180 lbs - lost 25 lbs
    PSR after 21 days - 7.8

Episode 5 - Argentina Impossible - 7/27/14

Yungas Cloud Forest, East side of the Andes Mountain Range. Inserted at 4,000 ft and climbed up to 5,000 ft.

Highest and coldest location yet. Area has experienced an unusual weather front and had gotten 16" of rain in 3 days.

Poisonous snakes and toads. Wild turkeys common.

Lisa - 34 yr old pediatrician, works trauma, enjoys minimalist camping, just started working on her primitive survival skills, from Boston, Massachusetts
    Tool - fire starter
    Height - 5' 7"
    Weight - 165 lbs
    PSR - 6.8
    Weight after 21 days - 129 lbs - lost 26lbs
    PSR after 21 days - 7.4

Tom - 36 yr old Wilderness Survival Instructor for 20 yrs a bit of a loner from Santa Cruz, CA
    Tool - machete
    Height - 6' 2"
    Weight - 185 lbs
    PSR - 8.4
    Weight after 21 days - 155 lbs - lost 30 lbs
    PSR after 21 days - 7.9

I did like that the experts lowered Tom's PSR due to his lack of teamwork and subborness. I also like that he was not an arrogant, snob and totally dismiss his partner although it sounded as if he might. Liked that he didn't dump his issues on his partner. Liked his turnaround as far as appreciating his partner and learning teamwork.

Interesting to note that lack of water was not their main problem but hypothermia and even with a fire it was hard to keep warm.
    Kip likes this.

+ Reply to Thread