+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 234
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

  1. #91
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,106

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    Hubby had the Belize episode PVR'd apparantly. I was really unimpressed with the two of them. Just watching the show, it didn't really show them doing much of anything... I guess the After Show is essential to getting the full picture. Crazy going 3 weeks with only one snake. I may have been tempted by a bat, if only to get enough energy to search for real food.
    I know bats can carry disease or neurotoxins that can build up in them, but I don't think eating one well cooked bat would cause harm.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

  2. #92
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,949

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Hubby had the Belize episode PVR'd apparantly. I was really unimpressed with the two of them. Just watching the show, it didn't really show them doing much of anything... I guess the After Show is essential to getting the full picture. Crazy going 3 weeks with only one snake. I may have been tempted by a bat, if only to get enough energy to search for real food.
    I know bats can carry disease or neurotoxins that can build up in them, but I don't think eating one well cooked bat would cause harm.
    Considering how small bats are would it really be worth the energy to catch and cook any? That and they carry rabies.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  3. #93
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,106

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    I don't know if they would have that difficult to snag, they were everywhere in that cave. Sometimes it feels like something is better than nothing. It's partly psychological. There are differing opinions, but on the most part, even animals that have rabies are safe to eat at proper temperatures as the cooking process kills the virus (well, that's what I read on the web just now. ) However, it also says to be very careful handling rabid animals when you prep them to cook them, so in that way, it does make it a bit iffy.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

  4. #94
    FORT Fogey Cornholio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    Tonight's new episode - Malaysia. They ate NOTHING for 21 days. NOTHING! :Cyclops OMG. (Sorry if that is a spoiler for anyone!)

  5. #95
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,949

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Tonight's new episode - Malaysia. They ate NOTHING for 21 days. NOTHING! :Cyclops OMG. (Sorry if that is a spoiler for anyone!)
    Well, Fernando was eating bugs and mushrooms. he he he
    Cornholio likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  6. #96
    Kiz
    Kiz is offline
    FORT Fogey Kiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    941

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    On the Naked After Dark show, they also said they caught fish to eat too, but obviously with their weight loss, they were far from feasting. I know it's "reality TV", but the editing was sensationalized more than I had expected for this show. The survivalists said that they were very knowledgeable about the local mushrooms and the one we see Fernando eating was one the natives eat all the time. She ate one too, but they both got that weird throat feeling and had to take those off their diet. When you hear the conversation about eating the mushroom, I think it was dubbed from a different time. I wanted to add that Fernando was such a sweetie, and he also came across that way in the After Dark show.
    wannasee likes this.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

  7. #97
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,600

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Tonight's new episode - Malaysia. They ate NOTHING for 21 days. NOTHING! :Cyclops OMG. (Sorry if that is a spoiler for anyone!)
    I think the show needs to set a higher definition of success. Just staying alive for the 21 days is not enough if the couple doesn't eat enough to sustain life for the long haul. It seems like most of the people we've seen on the show wouldn't have survived if they were stranded for more than 21 days. I've actually been pretty disappointed with how badly the contestants have done, particularly since they're supposed to have some survival skills. If they do so poorly, what chance does the average person with little or no survival training have if they get stuck in a survival situation?
    Kip, wannasee and jenniferboston1 like this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

  8. #98
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,949

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I think the show needs to set a higher definition of success. Just staying alive for the 21 days is not enough if the couple doesn't eat enough to sustain life for the long haul. It seems like most of the people we've seen on the show wouldn't have survived if they were stranded for more than 21 days. I've actually been pretty disappointed with how badly the contestants have done, particularly since they're supposed to have some survival skills. If they do so poorly, what chance does the average person with little or no survival training have if they get stuck in a survival situation?
    There is always eating "long pig".
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  9. #99
    FORT Fanatic wannasee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    447

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    ^ Oh, my, that would be a development. ;-)

    pikachu, I started to post something similar a couple days ago. I really, really wish they'd at least give them something so they could for sure have water. If they're unable to find/capture food, that's one thing. But I really would like to see them have a chance to actually survive...not just have enough body fat or whatever to barely allow them to eke through.
    Kiz likes this.

  10. #100
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,600

    Re: Naked and Afraid - Discovery Channel

    I agree, wannasee. I think the contestants should start off with a machete and a pot for water as basic survival essentials. Then, each contestant should get to choose one additional item. They could choose from a firestarter, mosquito netting, footwear (if not athletic shoes then at least moccasins or material and twine to make shoes), something like that.
    Kip, Cornholio, Kiz and 1 others like this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.