+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Skywire Live with Nik Wallenda on Discovery

Skywire Live with Nik Wallenda on Discovery

This Sunday on Discover channel, Nik Wallenda of the renowned Flying Wallandas will wire walk the Grand Canyon. It will be 1400 ft across and 1500 ft high. He will have no net and no tether.

There is a two-hour show first that shows his preparation and then another for his live, not prerecorded walk. This, to me, is both reality and drama, and I will be watching.

I remember watching when his great-grandfather, Karl Wallenda, fell to his death on a wire walk in Puerto Rico. It's an image I've never forgotten. Here's a link for anyone who might want more information.

Nik Wallenda's Grand Canyon wire walk airs live on Discovery Channel
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Skywire Live with Nik Wallenda on Discovery

Thanks so much for the heads up, Florimel. I definitely want to watch this. I saw his high wire walk over Niagara Falls a few years ago, and it was heart-stopping!

I heard about it on the radio this morning. I cant watch, I am way too nervous for him. Plus, I think he does much better when I don't tune in
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I all too well remember the Niagra Falls walk.

IIRC, it aired on ABC and Nik was contracturally obligated by the network to wear a tether when he did that one. Otherwise, had it been strictly left up to him, he said he wouldn't've.

I watched with my heart in my mouth, and obviously, he made it across.

I'd LIKE to say I'll watch this one, too. But frankly --- ESPECIALLY with the "no-tether" aspect of it --- I just don't know.

Like Flo, I vividly recall seeing footage of Karl Wallenda falling off that wire back in the day. Matter of fact, I can still see him going off it in my mind's eye, right now, as I'm typing this.

IF I watch Nik, I'll most likely post something.

IF I watch, that is.
    Last edited by ness; 06-21-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I, too, can still see it in my mind's eye. There is actually a video of that fall on YouTube.

In an interview with Nik that I saw recently, he said that a combination of weather and some imperfect technical preparation of the equipment were the major factors. He also said that he believed Karl's age at the time (73) was a factor in his inability to hold on to the rope after he fell.

Nik said that he began wire walking when he was 2 years old and was doing it alone by the time he was four. I also remember a tv movie, The Great Wallendas that came out shortly the same year as Karl's death. It starred Lloyd Bridges as Karl, gymnast Cathy Rigsby, Britt Ekland, and Taina Elg among others.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I'll be watching, but I will also be cheating. First I will TIVO it. Then I'll check the ending. THEN, once I see that he's made it across, I'll watch, so I won't have to have my heart in my mouth worrying about him.

By the way, when he did the Niagara Falls high wire walk, there were a lot of interviews with his wife and kids. I became really interested in them (almost in the same way as we get interested in people on reality tv) so I'm really hoping they'll be interviewed this time around. I'll be really glad to see them again and see how they've fared these last several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I, too, can still see it in my mind's eye. There is actually a video of that fall on YouTube.

In an interview with Nik that I saw recently, he said that a combination of weather and some imperfect technical preparation of the equipment were the major factors. He also said that he believed Karl's age at the time (73) was a factor in his inability to hold on to the rope after he fell.

Nik said that he began wire walking when he was 2 years old and was doing it alone by the time he was four. I also remember a tv movie, The Great Wallendas that came out shortly the same year as Karl's death. It starred Lloyd Bridges as Karl, gymnast Cathy Rigsby, Britt Ekland, and Taina Elg among others.
    BOY, do I remember "The Great Wallendas"! I remember seeing it when it premiered as a Movie of the Week back when it was first released. Basically, it told the story of how The Wallendas fought back after the injury and loss of some of them when they were developing their seven-person pyramid.

I LOVED that movie, and recall one of Lloyd's lines to another character, who'd injured his jaw in the fall and didn't want to try the pyramid again: "You DON'T walk a wire with your teeth!"

Also, I remember Cathy Rigby played a character called Jana in that movie. She was doing a farewell tour of "Peter Pan" in my city a few years back, and was taking pictures and giving out autographs after the show. When it was my turn, I told her what a fan I'd been (and still was), and how I remembered her from when she competed in the Olympics. She smiled, laughed, and graciously replied that I was far too young to remember any of that. I smiled and laughed right back, then told her that I remembered her having a gymnastics move named after her (the Rigby Front), I remembered seeing her play Jana in the Wallendas movie, AND I also remembered her guest-starring role on "The Six Million Dollar Man" as a Russian gymnast.

Her mouth LITERALLY dropped open in shock!

She was absolutely delightful, looked pretty much EXACTLY the same (minus the pigtails!) as she did all those years ago, and she played the HELL out of Peter Pan, a role that was and is tailor-made for her.
    sparklete likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

In case anyone is waiting for the results ... he made it!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

My husband said it was on a 10 second delay so it wasn't completely live. He said that as he was watching it that if it suddenly cut out? Then he would know he hadn't made it.

What was funny was that when he saw Jim Cantore? He yelled "No! Why would they bring Mr. Bad Luck? He's screwed!" LOL living in an area that gets hurricane, we are not pleased when we see Cantore rolling into town.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 06-24-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

They replayed it on GMA this morning. Wow. All I can say.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast