+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Skywire Live with Nik Wallenda on Discovery

Re: Skywire Live with Nik Wallenda on Discovery

Ness, Cathy Rigby has always been one of my most favorite gymnasts and I remember all the same things that you do. I also loved The Great Wallendas and I looked to see if I could find it on DVD. No luck. Amazon has it but only on VHS.

That walk as breathtaking and so was the preliminary show that aired earlier. I loved watching the training and especially the part where he repeated Karl's tragic walk in Puerto Rico and Nik's mother, Delilah insisting that she do that walk with him. Watching them both do it from opposite directions and him stepping over her while she knelt down in the middle was spectacular. It was also interesting to learn after all their testing that Terry was right. It was the bad rigging that was the primary cause of Karl's fall, not the weather nor his age.
    ness likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Skywire Live with Nik Wallenda on Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Ness, Cathy Rigby has always been one of my most favorite gymnasts and I remember all the same things that you do. I also loved The Great Wallendas and I looked to see if I could find it on DVD. No luck. Amazon has it but only on VHS.

That walk as breathtaking and so was the preliminary show that aired earlier. I loved watching the training and especially the part where he repeated Karl's tragic walk in Puerto Rico and Nik's mother, Delilah insisting that she do that walk with him. Watching them both do it from opposite directions and him stepping over her while she knelt down in the middle was spectacular. It was also interesting to learn after all their testing that Terry was right. It was the bad rigging that was the primary cause of Karl's fall, not the weather nor his age.
    Yep, Flo.

I sucked it up and watched.

My heart was in my throat, and my stomach was in knots during the whole thing, but I soldiered through to the triumphal end! I don't think I took a breath until his foot touched down on the other side.

So, OK . . .

Maybe I gave in and DID take a breath, or two!

And I agree, that walk WAS breathtaking!

I watched the last hour or so of the pre-show, too (forgot it was on!). It is absolutely fascinating to me the teamwork and prep that goes into doing what he does. I also, after watching, understood why it was so important to him to re-do Karl's Puerto Rico walk. I felt so relieved for him when they found out exactly WHY it was (besides the obvious age factor and probably not being able to've hung onto the wire, anyway) he died. I also felt Nik and his father's tension when Delilah said she wanted to do that walk, too, but understood why. I was really impressed when they did it! That part, in particular, was VERY moving.

Flo, I ADORED Cathy Rigby when she was a competing gymnast, and STILL do! It's really great to know there's somebody else out there that remembers her and what she did, too. When I met her, I was STUNNED at how TINY she actually is! And I mean, heightwise AND weightwise! I don't think she's even five feet tall. And I'd REALLY be surprised if she even weighed 100/105-10 pounds. She's basically an elf with a megawatt smile! And SO nice and warm and friendly. I couldn't believe how patient and welcoming she was, signing autographs for a line of people that snaked around the room and out the door after her performance.

And as for "The Great Wallendas", believe it or not, I actually STILL have a machine that'll play VHS tapes, so I just might hit Amazon up for that movie. I really did enjoy it, and definitely wouldn't mind seeing it again!

I'll most likely be watching his NEXT wirewalk, too!
    Florimel likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12