+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tilden
  • 1 Post By Arielflies
  • 1 Post By Florimel
  • 1 Post By Debb70

Thread: 2013 Tony Awards

2013 Tony Awards

I thought I would start a thread in case anyone watches and wants to post.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Re: 2013 Tony Awards

I guess you and I are the only two watching, which is a shame. I always think the Tonys are the most genuinely entertaining of the award shows, but then I love musicals.

Having said that, however, while I'm enjoying the stuff from Pippin right now (though at the moment, I'm seriously missing Ben Vereen), the juvenilization of the Broadway musical this season is bugging me. Maybe that's why I'm enjoying the Pippin numbers. Nothing against children, but occasionally I'd like to hear an adult singing--and not just as a backdrop villain for some darling kiddos.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

We watched the first hour and recorded the rest. I love NPH :-)

I'm about half way through and it occurred to me that Kinky Boots may be the only original musical on Broadway this year. All the others are either remakes or adaptations from movies.

I did love the bit from Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. I hear Julie Andrews voice singing, "In my own little corner, in my own little room." I freakin' love the music from that show. Since I've never seen it on stage, it must have been made into a movie or a filmed stage production.

Anyway, interesting what they can compose from concepts such as Bring It On.

Loving NPH and that opening number was da bombe!
    Last edited by Arielflies; 06-10-2013 at 12:47 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I am watching, but obviously way behind. Neil Patrick Harris Is perfection as always! I would love to see the musical Matilda as that is my favorite Dahl book. Not sure about Bring it Ono. Can't wait to see other performances.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

As Peanut's Lucy would say..."Ewww, dog kisses!"

I loved the TV/Broadway home number. It is so energizing to see so much talent doing what they do best - entertaining.

Neil Patrick Harris produced this year's show as well as hosting it. Wow.

Wonderful production with so many familiar faces.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I watched it. I don't go online during the Tony's. It's the only award show I really care about any more.

That first production number was amazing. It left me breathless. Neil Patrick Harris is the new Danny Kaye for me and that is a huge compliment. Zachary quinto, the first presenter after the opening, said it all with, "That was the definition of a hard act to follow."

I need to add that I thought Cicely Tyson's speech was so touching. And, although she was a bit unsteady on her feet, she looked wonderful for 80. Great actress and classy lady, IMO.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I LOVED the portions I saw last night. I'll watch all of it later. I thought it was GREAT! The energy, the talent, the emotion was all there. I've never seen anything like it.

I loved Judith Light's speech! Those speeches revealed just what the theatre community is like and it was so touching.

Of course Neal Patrick Harris was fabulous as always, but I thought the show had the best vibe yet. I could have done without the Mike Tyson comments. Why so many?

Cindy Lauper has really reinvented herself. Good for her.

The routine about the Broadway stars who get their tv shows cancelled was too funny.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the show, and especially NPH! He is fabulous!!! This was probably the best Tonys award shows that I can remember, and the Tonys are definitely my favorite of all the award shows.

+ Reply to Thread