+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 72 Hours - TNT

72 Hours - TNT

'72 Hours' Host Brandon Johnson Previews TNT's New Reality Competition

Brandon Johnson, former actor on Disney's Shake It Up and host of HGTV's My Yard Goes Disney, tells The Hollywood Reporter that 72 Hours is an authentic show "in a day and age where people are saturated with scripted reality." Contestants are followed through a three-day journey through the wilderness as they battle against physical, mental and emotional tests.

Nine strangers are catapulted into the wild "with nothing more than the shirts on their back and a bottle of water" to embark on one grueling mission: find a brief case loaded with $100,000 in just 72 hours. Ranging from firemen to tattoo artists to stay-at-home mothers, unique competitors from diverse backgrounds are split into teams of three to tackle the challenge of facing the unexpected in a strenuous search for the finish line. All three team members must place their hands on the brief case in order to successfully complete the task and ultimately win the competition.
    TNT has two new summer shows airing Thursdays, The Hero at 8pm and 72 Hours at 9pm. They have repeat performances at 10pm and 11pm and other airings through out the week and episodes will be available on Comcast's On Demand feature.

I must admit I found 72 Hours more appealing then The Hero it feels similar to TNT's summer show of 2012 "The Great Escape". I like the fact that each episode is a different venue with different teams. They threw in a twist in that the three teams of three are all strangers to each other. The Great Escape had 3 teams of two and the team members knew each other. It adds that this series is filmed over a longer period of time, 72 hours, the teams are made up of strangers. I always felt that a physically weaker team can do as well or better then a physically stronger team if the weaker team gets along better and has a better team dynamic. Play smarter not harder. That is exactly what happened in this episode. I am sure when team members see this episode and listen to some of the one on one confessionals there are going to be hurt feelings and a lot of anger. There are some classic reality stereotypes, the African American male who does not swim well but is a muscular beast. The angry pissed off African American female who is a diva and lets not forget the arrogant, smug, superior Asian male. The Green Team seemed in trouble from the beginning having the helpless Blonde Bimbo/Princess on their team and the Red Team's dynamic with the females vs the arrogant Asian males did not get off to a good start. Interesting to note that the males in both teams automatically took over the GPS and navigation duties and of course got both teams lost. Day two the females took control of the GPS and did much better. I thought it was classic that the Blue Team which consisted of two alpha males and a strong female was in the lead 95 percent of the time but at the very end the one team member just physically could not finish and that the Blue Team was totally not involved in the final leg/search for the briefcase. I think the best part of the episode was that Blonde Bimbo Princess who was acting so girly, girly and then throwing up day one actually was responsible for the Green Team winning the grand prize.

note: the one lady on the Green Team and who had the upside down mortgage wanted the money to pay off the $100,000 that her mortgage was over. I know how she got into so much financial trouble. She can't do math. A third of $100,000 is $33,333. After taxes it is anywhere between $18,000 to $21,000 that does not put that much of a dent in to her mortgage. Still I don't know why she didn't refinance to a lower rate as at least 2 of my co-workers did and they were in the same situation as she was.
    Punkin likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: 72 Hours - TNT

Thanks, Bearcata. I mentioned both these show in the Summer 2013 threat, and made the same comparison of 72 Hours to The Great Escape, but I could not recall the name of the latter show. I agree they are similar, and I enjoyed both shows. I'm curious to see where 72 Hours will be going for the next episode. The is good summer entertainment that is not a talent show or, worse, a dating show.

I make an exception for So You Think You Can Dance, which is a good talent show.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Thanks, Bearcata. I mentioned both these show in the Summer 2013 threat, and made the same comparison of 72 Hours to The Great Escape, but I could not recall the name of the latter show. I agree they are similar, and I enjoyed both shows. I'm curious to see where 72 Hours will be going for the next episode. The is good summer entertainment that is not a talent show or, worse, a dating show.

I make an exception for So You Think You Can Dance, which is a good talent show.
    New Zealand.

Ah yes, I remember now. That could be a fascinating location.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

What I like about teams like this is the big macho guys who say they will do so well and then don't.
    Punkin and Florimel like this.

FORT Fogey

Thanks Bearcata, just put this on my DVR.

FORT Fogey

I have watched 2 episodes and the lack of action in this thread tells me everyone agrees that this show is not interesting. There isn't enough substance. Off my DVR.

Have to say that I find it interesting to see how the different types cope with the obstacles they face. At least this is real competition unlike 98% of all pseudo reality shows. I'll continue to watch.
    Punkin likes this.

I have really enjoyed the first two episodes. The dynamics between the people an locations/tasks make each episode a must see for me. I was impressed with the team that won this week as their one team member was SO irritating.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I saw the one from last night. I was intrigued bby reading about it here. It was interesting to watch the dynamics. I wonder if the two on the winning team had that much of a stronger strength of will to literally pull him along or if the underlying fact of the computer guy really wanting the cash helped force him along. I have a feelng it was a bit of both. That red team fell behind (2x's?) but still pulled ahead.

It was our first viewing of the show and I liked it enough to put it on season pass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast