+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 72 Hours - TNT

Re: 72 Hours - TNT

Really glad that Jerica won as she is from my town. I hope this show has another season.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I just caught episode 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    episode 6 - July 12 at 10:00 pm – New Zealand Alps

I like how Jackie of the Red Team acknowledges how mean she was to the girl who fractured her kneecap but she doesn't take any responsibility to it. WTF. All I can say just another POS human being.

Can someone explain to me how being mean, insulting and bullying to a team member is supposed to help motivate that person especially if you have to work together as a team to win???
    And especially when that person has a fractured knee and torn ligaments. It's a testament to how strong that girl REALLY was. Stronger than either of the two complete jerks that were her 'team mates'. Wtf, indeed. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if they were paired with someone like the nerd guy from the team that won a few episodes back. I think there may have been some kind of violence. Most certainly he would have quit. And speaking of that guy (sorry, forget his name, he was the beligerant nerd guy), the more episodes I watch the more I respect him and his team for getting him to the end. He is still the most out of shape person we've seen racing, and yet he pushed on. Many, far stronger, have quit.

Those who are winning most of the races are those that have a supportive, caring team and a strong mindset. This is what I love most about this show so far.

I also appreciate that every team is 'handicapped' with a weaker person so that each team has to overcome obstacles to get to the end and win.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 08-01-2013 at 11:25 PM.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Naked and Afraid Bares All Special.

Shane is still angry with his partner from episode 1.

They are casting for season 2.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat
    Those who are winning most of the races are those that have a supportive, caring team and a strong mindset. This is what I love most about this show so far.

I also appreciate that every team is 'handicapped' with a weaker person so that each team has to overcome obstacles to get to the end and win.
    I just watched episode seven so I guess I spoke too soon. Ugh. I hated Wade's team. They made so many mistakes, Wade was an idiot and the girls were simpering females that demanded that Wade take care of them. I really would have preferred either the green team or red team winning.

Naked and Afraid Bares All Special.

Shane is still angry with his partner from episode 1.

They are casting for season 2.
    Here I thought I was posting on the Naked and Afraid thread.

The most remarkable thing about the series is the way it showed people almost from the first moment harshly criticizing and even making a pariah of a third person who wasn't as strong as the other two. I was just surprised that people would be so cruel so soon-- toward a supposed "weak link"-- rather than being supportive. It put the whole show into a different light, that some people were capable of kindness and generosity and other people simply had a goal, and evaluated other purely on their ability to contribute to that person's accomplishment of her or his personal goal--

You could sort of divide people into those who were primarily compassionate, and those who were primarily motivated by accomplishment. Even though those who were supportive did better-- in terms of winning-- as opposed to those who wanted to ride roughshod over the less able-- it seemed that the quality of the experience was much better for those who had more heart-- as well as for their teammates. They were able to find the experience meaningful apart from the money-- whereas the accomplishment people were not. It was also interesting that people focused so much on physical strength rather than cunning-- completely ignoring the idea that people who weren't so strong might have contributed cleverness, good sense of direction, or good ideas about how to conserve energy.

It was funny, though, on another topic, that the host looked so much like a Jeff Probst knock off.
    Bearcata and spockwhat like this.

Excellent post, cavendish. It really makes me wonder what a possible season 2 or 3 would look like compared to this season.

Here, we saw instincts take over. Pride (I've got to show I'm the best on my team) came out over compassion some of the times, and it was never healthy for the team as a whole. If people have the chance to see the show, will they approach the race differently? If they know they need to work as a team first, the negativity may be pushed to the side because they've learned better. We'll see, I hope!

I think Episode 8 had the worst quitter of this show I've seen thus far. We've seen fights, illness and mental exhaustion cause people to quit, but this is the first time I think we've seen someone give up because they couldn't get their own way.

Good for Jerica (and her team I guess, though I really didn't care for the two guys... I much preferred the two guys on the red team), she deserved the win.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Excellent post, cavendish. It really makes me wonder what a possible season 2 or 3 would look like compared to this season.

Here, we saw instincts take over. Pride (I've got to show I'm the best on my team) came out over compassion some of the times, and it was never healthy for the team as a whole. If people have the chance to see the show, will they approach the race differently? If they know they need to work as a team first, the negativity may be pushed to the side because they've learned better. We'll see, I hope!

I think Episode 8 had the worst quitter of this show I've seen thus far. We've seen fights, illness and mental exhaustion cause people to quit, but this is the first time I think we've seen someone give up because they couldn't get their own way.

Good for Jerica (and her team I guess, though I really didn't care for the two guys... I much preferred the two guys on the red team), she deserved the win.

That was one of the dumbest reasons I have ever seen for someone quitting especially when both women were still eager to go on.

That was one of the dumbest reasons I have ever seen for someone quitting especially when both women were still eager to go on.
    It was unbelievable. I think his ego caused him to think that because of his team mates they were going to finish third, and that wasn't good enough for him. What a defeatist attitude. They reminded me of the team from the first episode that trailed the entire way and then made a good judgement on direction and ended up winning... but it was his way or forget it. Some guys just can't handle not being in the lead every minute of every day. What a losah.
    Florimel likes this.

I really agree that that was the most remarkable performance-- I remember that in the beginning, he would walk off leaving the others in the dust-- as if they were going to "drag him down." He couldn't see other people (women?) as a anything other than a ball and chain. Wonder where that came from in his background. A lot of the men came in with a little bit of that attitude, but dropped it as they got to know the women.

The temper tantrum he had at the end, when he quit was absurd-- I felt liks he was almost trying to get back at the others for "disobeying" him. And anyway, he was mad from day one for his' teammates-- as if he was already being badly treated by having them as teammates in stead of "better" teammates. He also had this attitude that winning would be pointless if he didn't do it his way--- if the win wasn't really 'his" not the teams'-- so instead of an "us vs "them" attitude to the other teams--as many people take on-- he had it toward his own team.

On a different topic, I always wondered, in the third episode, about the immediate negativity of the group toward Jourdan, the black male "extreme sports promoter" (somewhat overly muscular thin guy, who got dehydrated very early) whose male teammate (a prison guard) turned against him right away. I thought the pairing of a 21 year old black guy and a older prison guard was a little odd-- and I was also surprised about how vehement the disregard for him was on the part of the other two, given what good shape he seemed to be in. I would have expected them to cut him some slack.

It's so interesting thought that when people can re-find their inner motivation, they can overcome the wall they've hit-- especially with the support of their teammates. Or when they finally can connect to their teammates and support them and work with them-- both of those changes of inner attitude seemed to be associated with do a lot better than you could have imagined. Yet when their team turns against them, people become more and more angry and vengeful, while being blamed by the others-- and finally aren't (or willing) able to go o n.

+ Reply to Thread