+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

I was surprised Darnell took the money. Who knows though what they will or will not do until the carrot is dangled in front of them. What you think you know of yourselve may change in an instant.
    dzigner likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Episode 4 is on tonight the halfway mark. There are only 4 episodes left. It is only an 8 episode season.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Wow, the twists! They were great :-) It's really making people think, and I like that the producers gave the team time to bond before starting evictions.

My son and I were stunned that it took Marty so long to swim a mile...he had flippers on! (And yes, we recognized that he was dealing with the current and going into the waves.) But he kept "swimming" straight up and down, so he had almost no forward motion. If he had stayed level, he should have been able to make better progress. (Although he did succeed, but he cut it really close.)

Now to see if he evicts Athena or Sean...or Dr. Dave. (Or maybe someone else, but I doubt it.)
    AmyKay likes this.

my guess is he evicts Athena...I watched the preview for next show carefully, and Sean and Dr Dave were def. invovled in the next task, her saying "I hate this game" or whatever she said could be after she gets evicted.

I really love this show, lots of twists and lots left to personal opinions. Some people may think Darnell taking the money makes him less of a hero, but I dont. The pot is 300,000 already and with no certainty he will even get a chance at that I dont blame him. Im glad they didnt evict anyone til now, we get a good sense of who everyone that has really competed is.

Reminder its not on next week due to the holiday!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Wow, the twists! They were great :-) It's really making people think, and I like that the producers gave the team time to bond before starting evictions.

My son and I were stunned that it took Marty so long to swim a mile...he had flippers on! (And yes, we recognized that he was dealing with the current and going into the waves.) But he kept "swimming" straight up and down, so he had almost no forward motion. If he had stayed level, he should have been able to make better progress. (Although he did succeed, but he cut it really close.)

Now to see if he evicts Athena or Sean...or Dr. Dave. (Or maybe someone else, but I doubt it.)
    Remember people swim a lot slower then we walk. A mile in open ocean is a lot. I have done it in a pool and it takes a while I thought 40 minutes to get to the wreck and back was not enough time. Also depends what kind of flippers he had on and if he knew how to use them effectively. I go scuba diving and you are taught to use your whole leg and start the kick from the hip. You can generate a lot of power that way. I didn't realize how powerful that kind of kick was until I was snorkeling with a guy who got a pair of cheap fins. I was barely moving and he told me he couldn't keep up.

Oh, I do think folks don't resonate with this show. I think the title of The Hero is very misleading, TNT needs to change the name to "Backstabbing Bozos".
    dzigner and Babbred like this.

I've also done a mile in a pool. I was always a graceful swimmer, but slow as molasses. It takes me quite a while, and that's without ocean waves and currents.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Remember people swim a lot slower then we walk. A mile in open ocean is a lot. I have done it in a pool and it takes a while I thought 40 minutes to get to the wreck and back was not enough time. Also depends what kind of flippers he had on and if he knew how to use them effectively. I go scuba diving and you are taught to use your whole leg and start the kick from the hip. You can generate a lot of power that way. I didn't realize how powerful that kind of kick was until I was snorkeling with a guy who got a pair of cheap fins. I was barely moving and he told me he couldn't keep up.
    My son can swim a mile in the pool in about 17 minutes without fins. I know swimming in the ocean is different, but they made a big deal about how strong a swimmer Marty was, so we figured it wouldn't take much more than 25 minutes after we saw that he had fins. And while Marty's kick (at least on his back) was awful, at least he was prone...when he was facing forward, he was almost straight up-and-down. (He did pick up speed as he went, which was good, but also weird...most swimmers slow down as the distance increases.)

And yeah, "Backstabbing Bozos" sounds more accurate (although not quite as catchy ;-) ).

FYI:

How long should it take an average swimmer to complete one mile

For an "average" swimmer (one who is quite competent at the freestyle stroke, and knows how to do a good flipturn) who is not training competitively, but is otherwise fit, 30 minutes is more realistic for a 1-mile swim in a pool. Outdoor swimming (particularly in rougher water) adds considerably to this, so a 1-mile swim in a lake under calm conditions should take at least 40 minutes, while it could take an hour or more in rough water (2-3ft swells). Swimming in the open ocean is even more difficult, due to the much greater wave height; frankly, for the average swimmer, swimming long distances in the open ocean in anything more than calm waters is practically impossible, as they will tire out long before they get very far.

Next Thursday TNT will air a marathon of the first four episodes.

I watched the part again where The Rock tells Marty he is to drive the speed boat out 9 miles and swim 1 mile out retrieve the money attached to the buoy and the implication is swim 1 mile back to the boat? That's 2 miles in 40 minutes in open water with swells.

+ Reply to Thread