+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingGal View Post
    I've been watching this forum with interest and amusement since the show started (I'm related to one of the contestants). Now that we're almost to the end, I'll still keep my mouth shut for the most part, but wanted to make one correction to an assumption made here.

Filming took THREE weeks from start to finish.

The Rock Headed To Panama For "The Hero", NXT Diva Gets New Name | SEScoops | WWE Wrestling News & Rumors
    The Rock Wraps Filming For Upcoming TNT Series "The Hero" | SEScoops | WWE Wrestling News & Rumors
    Thanks much for the info. The article I read was from a website promoting filming in Panama and all they said was that filming would be done in the months of February and March.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post

In order to do this, producers try and cast people who will lend themselves to this mold. Or they use selected footage to create an illusion. Usually it's a combinatin of both. It would not surprise me at all if, per The Bachelor, producers of this show sat down with contestants beforehand. Or at the very least, if the casting directors didn't look for certain types. As you pointed out, Rock, Patty and Darnell would easily have come across as the likeable heroes. Anybody could tell that even before the cameras rolled. Marty probably would have shown his colors as a hyper-competitive, not-so-bright type of guy. IOW, probably ripe for a meltdown and therefore perfect for a villain. And so on and so on. Not everybody would fit into a "hero" or "villain" mold; the rest of the contestants would simply be "filler".

So you've got your types in mind, and you're looking to see which contestants will fill them. These shows alway film way more stuff than we see on the screen so they have footage to play around with. Then you simply see what footage you can string together to create the impression you want. Rock, didn't you say that Darnell got into an argument with somebody early in the show, but that the fight wasn't actually aired until a later episode? Absolutely classic example. They didn't want to ruin Darnell's heroic image so early, so they simply left the fight on the cutting-room floor until it was convenient. Again, it's not like this is something new. Holy mackerel, The Bachelor has now become infamous for their level of editing and their ability to manipulate viewers.
    The unique thing about this show is they needed some contestants who they could be sure could actually do the more difficult challenges. (Like rappelling down bridges and buildings and climbing up elevator shafts.) This is why they have the Elite SWAT guys like Charles in there. The majority of the challenges are easy for him but they need him there for the more "heroic" showstopper challenges. I suspect Marty as a construction workers is comfortable working from tall skyscrapers and there's a good chance Darnell although he looks very ordinary as a field service technician (whatever that is, but could be going up to repair powerlines) is also comfortable from heights. And Doctor Dave is a rock climber.

Then you have people like Patty, Athena, Rachel and Lydia who are just ordinary people who are certain types (mom, cheerleader, teacher, orphan) but probably wouldn't be able to rappel down bridges or climb up elevator shafts (well Lydia might be able to because she has spunk).

The one thing the producers couldn't afford to have is someone like Patti rappelling down the bridge and have a heart attack or be traumatized by the experience. So you needed the Pros who could do those hard challenges.

If the goal of the show is to be "The Hero" then you would want someone who is quite ordinary to rise above their personality and become "Heroic". In the story arc and editing, Patty achieves that the best. Besides Patty and Charles nobody else really has a strong story line.

In Charles' case his story line is sacrificing himself from the show. Even in the swimming one he tried to eliminate himself. As an Elite SWAT guy he can do almost all the challenges but if you do something that you do everyday then it really seems less heroic and impressive. From a marketing and media perspective which is better: If Charles won then it would be yeah the Elite SWAT guy won the Hero show, as expected. Or if Patty won then it's wimpy mom overcomes her fear of heights and becomes heroic.

I visited Panama City about 16 years ago with my BFF sister. The thing that I enjoyed most about this show was seeing how totally transformed Panama City has become since then. We stayed at the Hilton which was maybe 12 to 18 stories high and was by far the tallest building around. Just blows my mind to see all those skyscrapers there now!!! Every time I see it I want to call Jan and talk to her about it, but she died of pancreatic cancer two years ago yesterday.

Funny thing: We went to the "Panama Canal Museum" there and saw pictures and exhibits of how people from the East traveled across the Isthmus before the canal was built to get to ships for California. They called them "49er's". We kept remarking to each other, "Gee, we have "49er's" too!" At some point we had this great head-smack DUH moment and realized they were all the same people rushing to the gold fields, only got here differently than those who travelled cross-country. LOL

(I miss you, Jan.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    The unique thing about this show is they needed some contestants who they could be sure could actually do the more difficult challenges. (Like rappelling down bridges and buildings and climbing up elevator shafts.) This is why they have the Elite SWAT guys like Charles in there. The majority of the challenges are easy for him but they need him there for the more "heroic" showstopper challenges. I suspect Marty as a construction workers is comfortable working from tall skyscrapers and there's a good chance Darnell although he looks very ordinary as a field service technician (whatever that is, but could be going up to repair powerlines) is also comfortable from heights. And Doctor Dave is a rock climber.

Then you have people like Patty, Athena, Rachel and Lydia who are just ordinary people who are certain types (mom, cheerleader, teacher, orphan) but probably wouldn't be able to rappel down bridges or climb up elevator shafts (
    well Lydia might be able to because she has spunk).

The one thing the producers couldn't afford to have is someone like Patti rappelling down the bridge and have a heart attack or be traumatized by the experience. So you needed the Pros who could do those hard challenges.

If the goal of the show is to be "The Hero" then you would want someone who is quite ordinary to rise above their personality and become "Heroic". In the story arc and editing, Patty achieves that the best. Besides Patty and Charles nobody else really has a strong story line.

In Charles' case his story line is sacrificing himself from the show. Even in the swimming one he tried to eliminate himself. As an Elite SWAT guy he can do almost all the challenges but if you do something that you do everyday then it really seems less heroic and impressive. From a marketing and media perspective which is better: If Charles won then it would be yeah the Elite SWAT guy won the Hero show, as expected. Or if Patty won then it's wimpy mom overcomes her fear of heights and becomes heroic.

Wow, you do not need to be SWAT to be able to rappel off buildings or climb up elevator shafts. Folks have been rappelling off buildings, bridges and mountains tops on reality TV shows for years. Check out The Amazing Race. You just need the correct equipment. You can climb up using special harnesses and you are literally stepping up the rope, they have done this on The Amazing Race and none of those folks were members of a SWAT unit. Read the bios on The Hero website, Lydia boxed competitively for 4 years she is a personal fitness trainer. Rachel is a hip hop dancer. Athena is a Community Relations Director for a fitness academy. I am sure one of her benefits is to use the equipment. Darnell repairs scales he does not repair electrical wires in high places. To imply that only the men and specifically Charles have the skills to rappel or climb an elevator shaft is rather sexist.

Congratulations to Patty! I guessed the eliminations correctly until Lydia/Darnell (I wasn't sure which was going first).

I thought it was impressive that Patty got more votes than the other four combined. And wow, she turned down a lot of temptations.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

I would have voted for Charles had he been in the final 5 (well, I watched the previous episode to late to vote anyway). Out of the final 5, I would have been happy if Dave, Lydia, or Patty won. Dave was out first.

When Rachel first said she still held a grudge against Lydia, The Rock told Lydia she'd have a chance to respond later. Lydia said there was no need to respond - she should have left it at that. Later when she kept ripping into Rachel (and Rachel was pushing back), I hoped Lydia wouldn't win. So I ended up being happy that Patty won.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post

When Rachel first said she still held a grudge against Lydia, The Rock told Lydia she'd have a chance to respond later. Lydia said there was no need to respond - she should have left it at that. Later when she kept ripping into Rachel (and Rachel was pushing back), I hoped Lydia wouldn't win. So I ended up being happy that Patty won.
    That was very aw'kward! Those two were still arguing and the Rock had to save the show by going to the 90 year old Red Cross man.
    I liked Lydia, she's smart and has spunk but was concerned about her volatility. The way she was stalking Athena and chasing her with her finger pointed right behind her head in the house made me think that she would not get many votes.

The question is-- is any of these people a hero?

And were voters thinking about heroism per se when they selected their 'hero.?'

And moreover, did the show even have a conception of heroism that was even reasonable?

-- The show offered a definition of heroism that involved a list of characteristics-- but in fact heroism can't be captured in a list of testable items, -

So the show left me feeling somehow depressed and a bit empty-- because there are ordinary people who become heroes-- but that title should be reserved for people who are willing to risk their lives or physical safety to save other people from injury or death. It's a very special term, I think, and one that this show, for all of the Rock's wisdom-- was it even his?-- somewhat degraded. You can't test heroism---- and heroes don't expect a lot of money, but presumably act instinctively to help someone in trouble.

What was most interesting, if you take it a bit farther, is to look at the real heroism that does exist-- and may not even be that uncommon, even if stories of it are. And so does the opposite of heroism-- abandoning or refusing to help those who are in danger, even when it doesn't put you into danger yourself. For exmaple, there is that infamous example of death of Kitty Genovese, and the resulting investigations into the phenomenon of the "bystander effect"-- or lack of individual responsibility surfaces in the presence of others who do not act.

If you think of people who have acted heroically -- that have become known to the public-- and compare them to the people in the show, you might get a better idea of how the show attempted-- and failed --or failed and partially succeeded-- in capturing what heroism is. If you take, for exmaple, Jasper Schuringa the Dutch passenger who jumped up and led other passengers in subduing a man who was trying to detonate a bomb on Delta-Northwest Flight 253 , or Lenny Skutnik, a man who dove into a freezing river to pull a drowning woman to safety after a plane crash in the Potomac River,.

One thing about heroism is that it's unpredictable. Until the critical moment, none of us knows who will act heroically-- and heroism is not really understood-- so it becomes impossible to define and certainly even more so to test. Even altruism is a mystery-- so how much more so heroism? It was interesting that the show attempted at all to provide a definition and to give an example, of it--The Rock-- as if a movie hero with large muscles has proven himself to be heroic. How much more appropriate-- and how much less successful-- would a show with Lenny Skutnick have been-- a real hero, vs someone who looks the part of a hero?

I think perhaps the reason Patty won-- aside from any questions about her real heroism-- is that her character captured this essential ordinariness and unpredictability-- and the uncertainty that all of us has about whether anyone, including ourselves, would indeed act heroically. We've witnessed-- that the most ordinary and unprepossessing person can suddenly become a hero-- and in this Patty most represented the mismatch between the image of heroism and the fact of acting heroically. She was clearly the one person in the show who was afraid-- of more or less everything---and represented almost a counter-example to the Rock, the ostensible hero. She was the last visibly "hero-looking"-- yet the show worked, I believe intentionally, to position her to act-- unpredictably, first of all, and second of all, to "save" the others-- which two things are most of what we sense about heroism.

In this, I guess, it did have a deeper conception of heroism that the list of qualities it presented-- and in a sense, offered us a parable about the mystery of heroism--apart from and beside, the more overt testing that it proposed.
    Kip likes this.

The problem I had with the definition of Hero is that here in the US and in many countries people that play sports are considered heroes. That if you have good physical skills and can play a game and win that game you are a hero in many peoples eyes and if you are a hero and a role model. Well, while you can be successful financially many folks who play sports are not role models, they drink too much, do drugs, waste their money, have lots of babies and don't take care of them and even kill. Yes they can play a sport but that in itself is not heroic. Then you have this show where you have some very physically capable people, who win challenges but pout like little children, succumb to temptation, are awfully judgmental and not forgiving or understanding of the other folks on their team and because one of their teammates is not as physically capable as they are they tend to exclude her from participating in the challenges. That's heroic? I know there are a lot of folks (check out The Rocks Facebook page)furious that "Crybaby Patty" won this series. They don't consider what she did heroic mainly because she was not as physically as strong as the other players. Being heroic is more than being physically capable, it is using your brains and being smart and ethical when it is needed and not when it is convenient. I do think that one reason that Patty and Dranell were so popular is that because they were heroes to their families doing the boring day to day stuff, being there for their kids and spouses. I can respect that and I can relate to that as do other viewers and that is why I think Patty won.
    Florimel likes this.

I quit watching this show awhile ago but saw that Patty won....what was the prize amount that she received? thanks!

+ Reply to Thread