+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 139
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

  1. #111
    FORT Fogey justCoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    I would never vote for Patti despite her completing that task. I'm happy for her that she overcame so much personal stuff but I couldn't get past her incessant crying. No one in my family could. It's great she achieved so much on a personal level, but I don't really consider that heroic.

  2. #112
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,332

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Marty, Darnell and Doctor Dave. I wouldn't go as far as calling them villains but they are all flawed to win the show and represent the show to the media.
    Marty basically had a meltdown. So they don't want him to win.
    Doctor Dave is pretty sneaky and two faced. Repeatedly talking about other behind their back (Shaun, and Marty). And also admitted to being not really a nice guy and having cheated on other people in the past.
    Darnell of course for taking the money and looking like a huge hypocrite after going off on Shaun and Athena for taking money. And then lying on the lie detector which cost the team time in the Hero's challenge. Also his berating of Charles' profession and antagonism to Charles which just made him look even more like a hypocrite.

    So that leaves Lydia and Patti. But Lydia basically had zero screen time. No call from loved ones. I mean she has to at least have one friend out there somewhere. And Lydia also had an easy challenge: finding rocks. She won't win.

    Basically Patti has it in the bag now. But had Patti not done the tight rope walk which suddenly became the Hero's Challenge after she completed it she would have done nothing to justify being the Hero. Everyone else (Marty, Darnell, Doctor Dave, Lydia and Charles) completed a Hero's challenge and so would have had a huge edge on her until the producers stepped in.

    Can you honestly say you would have voted for Patti over the other guys had she not completed one Hero's challenge (tightrope walk).


    Dave cheated on other people? His wife or girlfriend cheated so he broke up with her. And what the heck do his personal relationships have to do with anything he did on the show

    Everyone talks about everyone especially in the confessionals because the producers ask you questions about everyone.

    And you obviously don't read my posts because I have mentioned before I was already leaning toward voting for Patty and her winning or not winning a Hero's challenge did not effect my voting for her.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  3. #113
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Look these guys are experts. Most of the producers have been doing reality tv for years. It's not hard to spot who is going to be likeable and who is going to be a clown or a douchbag to the fans and audience during the filming of the show. You don't need fan and audience feedback to see that. One can see Patti is likeable and ordinary (which is great for being the hero) after a couple days. Nobody wants the elite SWAT guy winning the Hero show doing tasks that he does every day. Darnell was probably the front runner till he took the money which nobody expected him to do. At that point they had to scramble to find someone else who could become the Hero.

    Once you've determined that then it's pretty easy to manipulate the show which is what they did.

    I like to use my other favorite show, "The Bachelor," as an example. Right now the lead is Desiree and the remaining guys are Drew, Chris and Brooks.


    If, when Des showed up, the producers had told her, "We've decided that Drew will be the winner. He's the one you're going to pick at the end of this. Pick him and we'll pay you a million dollars. As for the other guys, well, they don't know about this. It's our little secret. Just follow the script we hand you for the dates and everything will be fine." If Desiree agrees to do all this, then the producers would be controlling the outcome. I don't know what the legality of that is for reality shows, but I can't imagine shows would do that, regardless. In this day and age they know they would get caught.


    So they've gotten sneakier. "Winning" for a network means having viewers stick around until the very end. Those viewers also have to be satisfied with the outcome so they'll come back for another season. In order to make that happen, the producers give people a storyline. A hero is there for the right reasons and acts like it. A villain is either there for the wrong reasons or just acts so obnoxiously that you don't want him rewarded. The villain mucks around until the end so that viewers will be on edge, and then he/she gets eliminated. The hero is then safe to claim his well-deserved reward.


    In order to do this, producers try and cast people who will lend themselves to this mold. Or they use selected footage to create an illusion. Usually it's a combinatin of both. It would not surprise me at all if, per The Bachelor, producers of this show sat down with contestants beforehand. Or at the very least, if the casting directors didn't look for certain types. As you pointed out, Rock, Patty and Darnell would easily have come across as the likeable heroes. Anybody could tell that even before the cameras rolled. Marty probably would have shown his colors as a hyper-competitive, not-so-bright type of guy. IOW, probably ripe for a meltdown and therefore perfect for a villain. And so on and so on. Not everybody would fit into a "hero" or "villain" mold; the rest of the contestants would simply be "filler".


    So you've got your types in mind, and you're looking to see which contestants will fill them. These shows alway film way more stuff than we see on the screen so they have footage to play around with. Then you simply see what footage you can string together to create the impression you want. Rock, didn't you say that Darnell got into an argument with somebody early in the show, but that the fight wasn't actually aired until a later episode? Absolutely classic example. They didn't want to ruin Darnell's heroic image so early, so they simply left the fight on the cutting-room floor until it was convenient. Again, it's not like this is something new. Holy mackerel, The Bachelor has now become infamous for their level of editing and their ability to manipulate viewers.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  4. #114
    Furball Coughedupalot scoot13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    799

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    These producers and the crew are normal human beings themselves. They are making a TV show and they use the characters in whatever way they see fit. It is not based on ratings at that stage, it is just based on their expertise. They have favorites and least favorites and ideas of how they want to portray the contestants. They edit the show to paint those contestants into the vision that they have been shooting.

  5. #115
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    27

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Dave cheated on other people? His wife or girlfriend cheated so he broke up with her. And what the heck do his personal relationships have to do with anything he did on the show
    .
    No. You are not paying attention. Dave's new wife cheated on him which is why he got divorced. But Dave also mentions that he's not a saint and he has cheated on other people in the past. He made that revelation right before he decided not to accept the Hero's money for winning the Hero's challenge IIRC.

    It kind of shows he's a sneaky man. Especially when you consider he was speaking badly about Shuan and Marty behind their back.
    Go to the TNT website and watch the Episode 3 Bonus: Snake Charmers.

    He was also actively lobbying other people to eliminate Shuan. Charles didn't think that was very cool.

  6. #116
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,332

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    No. You are not paying attention. Dave's new wife cheated on him which is why he got divorced. But Dave also mentions that he's not a saint and he has cheated on other people in the past. He made that revelation right before he decided not to accept the Hero's money for winning the Hero's challenge IIRC.

    It kind of shows he's a sneaky man. Especially when you consider he was speaking badly about Shuan and Marty behind their back.
    Go to the TNT website and watch the Episode 3 Bonus: Snake Charmers.

    He was also actively lobbying other people to eliminate Shuan. Charles didn't think that was very cool.


    I got that. How is me saying it vs you saying it any different.

    Who cares if he was speaking about Shuan and Marty behind their backs everyone was doing it.

    At one point or another I am sure everyone has talked strategy and who to eliminate to everyone else.

    So what if Charles didn't think it was cool. I didn't think it was cool of Charles to target Athena the way he did. That wasn't very heroic.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #117
    FORT Fogey Punkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    I won't be watching the finale and I won't be voting. My choice for Hero is Charles. He's gone, so I'm gone.

  8. #118
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,332

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I like to use my other favorite show, "The Bachelor," as an example. Right now the lead is Desiree and the remaining guys are Drew, Chris and Brooks.


    If, when Des showed up, the producers had told her, "We've decided that Drew will be the winner. He's the one you're going to pick at the end of this. Pick him and we'll pay you a million dollars. As for the other guys, well, they don't know about this. It's our little secret. Just follow the script we hand you for the dates and everything will be fine." If Desiree agrees to do all this, then the producers would be controlling the outcome. I don't know what the legality of that is for reality shows, but I can't imagine shows would do that, regardless. In this day and age they know they would get caught.


    So they've gotten sneakier. "Winning" for a network means having viewers stick around until the very end. Those viewers also have to be satisfied with the outcome so they'll come back for another season. In order to make that happen, the producers give people a storyline. A hero is there for the right reasons and acts like it. A villain is either there for the wrong reasons or just acts so obnoxiously that you don't want him rewarded. The villain mucks around until the end so that viewers will be on edge, and then he/she gets eliminated. The hero is then safe to claim his well-deserved reward.


    In order to do this, producers try and cast people who will lend themselves to this mold. Or they use selected footage to create an illusion. Usually it's a combinatin of both. It would not surprise me at all if, per The Bachelor, producers of this show sat down with contestants beforehand. Or at the very least, if the casting directors didn't look for certain types. As you pointed out, Rock, Patty and Darnell would easily have come across as the likeable heroes. Anybody could tell that even before the cameras rolled. Marty probably would have shown his colors as a hyper-competitive, not-so-bright type of guy. IOW, probably ripe for a meltdown and therefore perfect for a villain. And so on and so on. Not everybody would fit into a "hero" or "villain" mold; the rest of the contestants would simply be "filler".


    So you've got your types in mind, and you're looking to see which contestants will fill them. These shows alway film way more stuff than we see on the screen so they have footage to play around with. Then you simply see what footage you can string together to create the impression you want. Rock, didn't you say that Darnell got into an argument with somebody early in the show, but that the fight wasn't actually aired until a later episode? Absolutely classic example. They didn't want to ruin Darnell's heroic image so early, so they simply left the fight on the cutting-room floor until it was convenient. Again, it's not like this is something new. Holy mackerel, The Bachelor has now become infamous for their level of editing and their ability to manipulate viewers.
    Thank you, someone who gets it.

    Yes, I do agree, the casting director is looking for types. I know that in Survivor they tend to cast Type A personalities because they are the type of folks who want to dominate and have everyone else do things their way. Put 16 of these folks on an island you will have conflict. Even now Survivor Producer Jeff Probst says that after casting and physiological testing and many interviews the folks they cast still can surprise them by how they behave while filming. In the last Survivor season Probst mentions that Shamar was a personal favorite of his and he thought after being in the military and serving several tours in Iraq would be a great leader and potential winner and yet Shamar exploded in ways no one could predict happening. Yes, I do think folks come on to shows to be villains to get their 15 minutes of fame but others are there to win and their competitive nature can be cruel.

    I also know that the contestants in these shows are filmed constantly and there are lots and lots of one on one confessionals and not all folks give good sound bites. The ones that give the best sound bites, the best snark are the confessionals that are put in because they the most explosive, the most fun and there is tons of footage that is edited out. Yes, the editors do string together story lines it makes more sense to have story arcs to a viewer and to hook them to watch what happens next. Yes, I do know that sometimes what we see is put together out of order to create tension and give viewers something to see. But you can't edit what you don't give and some folks just give and give.

    To me Darnell was never that heroic and in episode one he decided Charles was a big threat to him and he verbally attacked him. Overall Darnell is very charming but he is also very conniving but for some reason folks forgive him that but they never forgave Shaun and Athena. I do think that Athena was targeted because she was Shaun's friend in the house. I do wish she had taken more money when offered because folks in this house were never going to let her win if they could help it.

    Oh, I was happy that the more confidence Patty found the less she cried. For some reason folks think that if you cry you are not strong, that if you are emotional you are weak and I do not think that is true.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  9. #119
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Look these guys are experts. Most of the producers have been doing reality tv for years. It's not hard to spot who is going to be likeable and who is going to be a clown or a douchbag to the fans and audience during the filming of the show. You don't need fan and audience feedback to see that. One can see Patti is likeable and ordinary (which is great for being the hero) after a couple days. Nobody wants the elite SWAT guy winning the Hero show doing tasks that he does every day. Darnell was probably the front runner till he took the money which nobody expected him to do. At that point they had to scramble to find someone else who could become the Hero.

    Once you've determined that then it's pretty easy to manipulate the show which is what they did.
    I've been watching this forum with interest and amusement since the show started (I'm related to one of the contestants). Now that we're almost to the end, I'll still keep my mouth shut for the most part, but wanted to make one correction to an assumption made here.

    Filming took THREE weeks from start to finish.

    The Rock Headed To Panama For "The Hero", NXT Diva Gets New Name | SEScoops | WWE Wrestling News & Rumors
    The Rock Wraps Filming For Upcoming TNT Series "The Hero" | SEScoops | WWE Wrestling News & Rumors

  10. #120
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,332

    Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

    Quote Originally Posted by TravelingGal View Post
    I've been watching this forum with interest and amusement since the show started (I'm related to one of the contestants). Now that we're almost to the end, I'll still keep my mouth shut for the most part, but wanted to make one correction to an assumption made here.

    Filming took THREE weeks from start to finish.

    The Rock Headed To Panama For "The Hero", NXT Diva Gets New Name | SEScoops | WWE Wrestling News & Rumors
    The Rock Wraps Filming For Upcoming TNT Series "The Hero" | SEScoops | WWE Wrestling News & Rumors
    Thanks much for the info. The article I read was from a website promoting filming in Panama and all they said was that filming would be done in the months of February and March.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.