+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

Re: The Hero - with The Rock (TNT) - premieres June 6th 8PM

Quote Originally Posted by cavendish View Post
    I would totally vote for Lydia. None of the others would get my vote, if Lydia weren't there.

I like Lydia because her plan for the money is very selfless-- assuming that it's really her intention )she seems to be a pretty honest)-- and not just for herself and her family. Of course giving the money to family is also unselfish in many ways, but Lydia seems to want to contribute to the community, which I particularly respect. Also I liked the way she played the game, with a lot of heart and also in a mostly kind way. She did it on her own, and she did a lot of difficult challenges-- and didn't shy away from challenges and self- define herself as "weak" and afraid, the way Patty did. She totally held herself to the same standard as the others and came through. And she is seems warmer and more open as a person than the others, which is a braver way of living ,.
    Where we both watching the same show? Lydia was a bitch. She incredibly judgmental, harsh and opinionated and highly unforgiving if someone didn't do things the way she would. I would never want this woman on my jury.

My real problems with Patty are twofold. First she implicitly but very clearly let it be known that she didn't feel up to the challenges-- and therefore was often not expected to compete on the same level as the others. She wanted an "weak" link exception and played it to the hilt. Second, she allied herself immediately in a co-dependent relationship with someone (Marty) who had no respect for her and didn't take her seriously, but treated her as if she was there to support and empower him-- not as an independent and equal player. . She played from behind Marty for the whole game-- until the end when she took on the challenge.

I do somehow wonder if the producers manipulated that last challenge-- because I truly don't understand how Patty was able to do the walk, given that at the beginning, she was unable to walk up the open but highly sheltered stairs of a building.

I don't know how it was set up-- but I just can't help wondering if there's something we didn't get to see. To me that transformation was too radical to take place on its own. But even if it did, I don't think she played in a heroic way.

Remember this show was filmed over a 2 month period, Patty had time to overcome her fears.

It comes down to who you are in the world-- as Charles said, the game is also about life. Patty as e persona and in the alliance she used to shield herself from risks and challenges throughout the game, is the opposite of my idea of heroic. The others to me were-- even if they had harsh or unlikeable characteristics. I don't really expect that Patty's way of being in the world has changed. And it's not that I think she's a bad person at all-- but I don't see her as heroic.

I am not saying that Patty is a saint, I hated the way she snapped at Athena after Athena took the temptation. The least objectionable person on this show was Rachel but Lydia voted her off the show probably because Rachel would have won over Lydia.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-28-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I don't think Charles I want to go home was sincere. I think it was a way to manipulate people into keeping him around. I really believe he felt Marty was going to get the boot and felt safe they would not vote him off.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I don't think Charles I want to go home was sincere. I think it was a way to manipulate people into keeping him around. I really believe he felt Marty was going to get the boot and felt safe they would not vote him off.
    I thought about that too but it's not likely. Marty was going to vote for Charles regardless because he was on the brink of elimination. And Charles would have had to vote for himself or he would look like a hypocrite. So that puts 2 votes for Charles right off the bat. That means that only one more of the remaining four (Patty, Darnell, Lydia, Dave) would have to vote for Charles and at the very least Charles would be tied for elimination. Those are very bad odds because it means he has to get 100% of the vote of the remaining 4 to ensure remaining and 75% to put him in a position to be tied for elimination.

What probably happened is Charles, like Marty realized that the producers set it up for Patty to win with the challenge switch and realized he had no shot at winning. So decided he would at least go out a hero since he wouldn't be able to win the money.

FORT Newbie

One more thing to consider is that the format of the show was a 6 man team challenge and then 3 man team challenge and then a 1 man heros challenge throughout the first six episodes. In episode 7, there was a 5 man team challenge (rappeling down the building) and then the 3 man team challenge (tight rope walk). Patty then switched out with the 3 man team challenge but upon Patty completing this team challenge all of a sudden it became the hero's challenge where the money went in the pot.

The producers really stacked the odds in Patty's favor with this conversion and that's why Marty was upset, Charles decided to exit the game and Doctor Dave already provided a concession speech saying he found the trust he was looking for out of the game.

No question the winner is going to be Patty or Darnell.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    I thought about that too but it's not likely. Marty was going to vote for Charles regardless because he was on the brink of elimination. And Charles would have had to vote for himself or he would look like a hypocrite. So that puts 2 votes for Charles right off the bat. That means that only one more of the remaining four (Patty, Darnell, Lydia, Dave) would have to vote for Charles and at the very least Charles would be tied for elimination. Those are very bad odds because it means he has to get 100% of the vote of the remaining 4 to ensure remaining and 75% to put him in a position to be tied for elimination.

What probably happened is Charles, like Marty realized that the producers set it up for Patty to win with the challenge switch and realized he had no shot at winning. So decided he would at least go out a hero since he wouldn't be able to win the money.
    Can you explain to me why you think the producers picked Patty as the person to win this show 4 months (they would have had to decide who the winner would before filming so they could plan all the challenges and temptations to occur exactly like they did and know what these folks would do and who they would pick to go into each challenge) before the first episode even aired and being as brilliant as they are know exactly how the voting will go? Or do you think the voting is also rigged for Patty to win? Why the heck would they even bother?

He is not saying that they were pulling the strings like puppets and scripting every word, they are merely manipulating the game as it progresses to insure that a fan favorite and not a villain wins. You can't have a villain win a show called "The Hero". Reality shows are not classified as game shows and are not bound by fair play. They are for entertainment value and producers reserve the right to change the game or even lie about it to the contestants.

They definitely don't have to make some of the production decisions until the time arrives. Who knows if the choice would have been the same if Marty was not going to participate in that challenge? They may have had it where, "You can choose one person on that team". I bet they had a few options up their sleeve and they always do. These games are all fluid, not solid IMO.

Again my main issue is that the filming is done in February and March the editing in April and May the first episode was not aired until the end of June how in the heck would the producers know who the fan favorite is? They don't. Therefore they cannot manipulate the game that way because the no viewer has seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by scoot13 View Post
    He is not saying that they were pulling the strings like puppets and scripting every word, they are merely manipulating the game as it progresses to insure that a fan favorite and not a villain wins. You can't have a villain win a show called "The Hero". Reality shows are not classified as game shows and are not bound by fair play. They are for entertainment value and producers reserve the right to change the game or even lie about it to the contestants.

They definitely don't have to make some of the production decisions until the time arrives. Who knows if the choice would have been the same if Marty was not going to participate in that challenge? They may have had it where, "You can choose one person on that team". I bet they had a few options up their sleeve and they always do. These games are all fluid, not solid IMO.
    What villain of the 5 left there were no villains they had all been voted off.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Again my main issue is that the filming is done in February and March the editing in April and May the first episode was not aired until the end of June how in the heck would the producers know who the fan favorite is? They don't. Therefore they cannot manipulate the game that way because the no viewer has seen it.
    Look these guys are experts. Most of the producers have been doing reality tv for years. It's not hard to spot who is going to be likeable and who is going to be a clown or a douchbag to the fans and audience during the filming of the show. You don't need fan and audience feedback to see that. One can see Patti is likeable and ordinary (which is great for being the hero) after a couple days. Nobody wants the elite SWAT guy winning the Hero show doing tasks that he does every day. Darnell was probably the front runner till he took the money which nobody expected him to do. At that point they had to scramble to find someone else who could become the Hero.

Once you've determined that then it's pretty easy to manipulate the show which is what they did.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    What villain of the 5 left there were no villains they had all been voted off.
    Marty, Darnell and Doctor Dave. I wouldn't go as far as calling them villains but they are all flawed to win the show and represent the show to the media.
    Marty basically had a meltdown. So they don't want him to win.
    Doctor Dave is pretty sneaky and two faced. Repeatedly talking about other behind their back (Shaun, and Marty). And also admitted to being not really a nice guy and having cheated on other people in the past.
    Darnell of course for taking the money and looking like a huge hypocrite after going off on Shaun and Athena for taking money. And then lying on the lie detector which cost the team time in the Hero's challenge. Also his berating of Charles' profession and antagonism to Charles which just made him look even more like a hypocrite.

So that leaves Lydia and Patti. But Lydia basically had zero screen time. No call from loved ones. I mean she has to at least have one friend out there somewhere. And Lydia also had an easy challenge: finding rocks. She won't win.

Basically Patti has it in the bag now. But had Patti not done the tight rope walk which suddenly became the Hero's Challenge after she completed it she would have done nothing to justify being the Hero. Everyone else (Marty, Darnell, Doctor Dave, Lydia and Charles) completed a Hero's challenge and so would have had a huge edge on her until the producers stepped in.

Can you honestly say you would have voted for Patti over the other guys had she not completed one Hero's challenge (tightrope walk).

+ Reply to Thread